What happened to HowardTV (and other examples of how The Show has been failing for quite some time)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by 3DayWorkWeek, Aug 1, 2015.

1. 3DayWorkWeek

3DayWorkWeek Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So Howard spent the last few years bragging about how great AGT was doing, then he got axed. Meanwhile, the Howard Stern Show was limping along (sort of), but really it has been slowly suffocating. The listenership has clearly been in sharp decline for MANY years.

But what's the proof? (Please add to the list):

1) Howard TV disappears with little to no mention, practically overnight

2) Howard 100 News team slashed to basically just Shuli and John

3) There has been ZERO effort to replace Artie

What other things prove that this Show is limping to the finish line (which is likely coming real soon)?

smichal likes this.
  2. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I'm not sure Artie can be on this list.

I think in the end Howard saw Artie as a headache and once he was gone wasn't about to invite anything like it back in to the studio ever again. Besides, he was too controversial for the AGT Howard.

I wish I had links to back this up, but I remember all of his recent late night appearances always tanked in the ratings. That shows he's not as popular as he likes to think he is.

Also, how about Howadr 101 in general. What's it down to, 1 or 2 live shows, the rest just tape? That's can't be a good sign.

reno, Icey and DiamondGoddess like this.
  3. Dreamking

Dreamking The dogs of doom are howlin' low...

Reputations:

Howard has a history of holding on to people that should have been fired decades ago: Benjy, Ronnie the Limo Driver, Sal, Ralph.

But when he does cut you loose, he rarely looks back. He could have installed Jackie somewhere in his Sirius team, but he's never really forgiven him for leaving the show.

I think the situation with Artie was something else entirely; Howard could not wrap his head around someone trying to commit suicide. I think Howard believes deep in his heart that there's always another tomorrow. (or at least another psychiatrist... )

Just like Howard hates drunks, I think he looked at Artie and decided he could no longer be close to him.

And if you know someone who has attempted suicide, sometimes it will change relationship dynamics forever. Artie's suicide attempt just trashed their relationship.

njguy8, AmishGirl and DiamondGoddess like this.
  4. Dreamking

Reputations:
    Tha

That he continues to employ Benjy is the most powerful evidence that the show has been failing for some time and that they have no clue.

I doubt that Benjy could even find another job if he left Stern. Yet Stern continues to employ him.

I've read that Benjy's sister is a power-player in Hollywood. I wonder if that's the reason Stern keeps him around??

5. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the show has an $80 million operating budget and there are a million ways to release video content these days. if howard wanted a howard tv replacement, an artie replacement and a full news team he could have it. for whatever reason he just doesn't want to spend the money or time/effort required to do so.

codeine and TheJackiePuppet like this.
  6. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Sure, because it's all about pluggy.

7. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    No one will even watch that shit for free, there's your answer.

8. Tyler9258

Tyler9258 Old friends, old whiskey, old songs

Reputations:
    Shuli is so god damn unfunny. I hope that hack is lurking.

9. Dreamking

Reputations:
    Nate:

I'm not so sure. You know how Howard could never discipline Ronnie or Benjy in person; he had to do it on-air?

Howard has a lot of neuroses. I think he is basically uncomfortable around people he does not know well.

When Artie showed the "suicide Artie", I think there was a new person born that Stern could never acclimate to.

I don't think that he was being callous; it was impossible for him to be a friend to a suicidal addict.

AmishGirl likes this.
  10. Rhinosaucerous

Rhinosaucerous Self-hating Millennial

Reputations:
    When it comes to THSS's decline, the adage I like to use is "all roads lead back to Beth". The show had always been under fire from mainstream media, the religious right, the FCC etc. but it only became bigger and bigger throughout the 90s and early 2000s. The MOST effective way to kill the show is a strike to the head. Beth gradually has gained more and more influence with Howard in general and this is why the show is barely crawling to the finish line.

Doctor Remulak and 3DayWorkWeek like this.
  11. JonnySoul

JonnySoul Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's too easy to blame Beth

For some reason, Howard wanted mainstream fame. And he erased his past behavior as being "out of his mind" to do so

The thing is, nobody wants, needs, or cares about a mainstream bland Howard Stern. There's plenty of people for that

What Howard is doing now with long winded interviews is not novel, new, or interesting. It's been done

And now AGT has failed for Howard. He was fired/not asked back.

12. 3DayWorkWeek

3DayWorkWeek Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well actually I was just saying filling the Artie Chair, not putting Artie back in it. There are plenty of more stable personalities out there.

The other points are solid! Late Night ratings being down and Howard 101 cut backs.....exactly.

njguy8 likes this.
  13. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    13) the small number of viewings on stern's YouTube page

14. Unconcerned Citizen

Unconcerned Citizen New Member

Reputations:
    Artie was the regular joe anchor that Howard needed to keep it somewhat real. I'm not being naive, I really believe Howard thought he was "bros" with Artie and did him a favor letting him go. Unfortunately, Beth took whatever rock'n'roll that was left in Howard and squashed it. Without Artie to ground the show, it went on life support. Also, not having a hostile management to fight against pussified Stern and he let himself become a wannabe mainstream celebrity jew borefest.

15. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    He was never R n R, he was the recipient of a makeover and marketing plan.

This is the real pluggy.

[​IMG]

teehee, jdizzle143, zutroy and 6 others like this.
  16. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wig cried foul when he lost the lawsuit. So he wanted "payback" by cutting everything back....heck, its only the fans and subscribers who pay the price.

17. Buster Himan

Buster Himan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I mean how many fucking threads about this can a group of people possibly make?

jaw_belize likes this.
  18. treyphan77

treyphan77 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Honest question... Does all the cash that used to go to other Shows/Employees really now just go to Howard? Never really been sure on that part

3DayWorkWeek likes this.
  19. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can't blame Beth, if it wasn't her it would be some other bimbo. Howard controls Howard. He wants the easy life and to coast. DEAL?.... OR NO DEAL?

teehee likes this.
  20. Queefinout

Queefinout Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Shalom, bitch