What i listen to now for celebrity interviews (a PSA)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by newcastlefan, Jun 13, 2014.

1. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    pretty much since 1983 i listened to Howard for the interviews (and the comedy way back when the show was funny) but the past years Howard has lost my interest: every interview is the same now.

i listen to podcasts instead now, and the best for interviews is Nerdist (the podcast from the guy who hosts the Talking Dead show on AMC). He interviews current and past celebs, and not just hookers, and strippers. Today while commuting i was listening to an interview with Christopher Lloyd. yesterday I listened to Mitch Hurwitz (Arrested Development), last week to Tom Cruise (and he doesn't sound so much like a douche now). Anthony Bourdain, Jaime King, Bill Nye, Clarke Gregg (the Avengers movie), Dave Attell, Christina Ricci, etc.

This is where all the good, happening guests are talking now, and no commercials or subscription fees.

2. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wow....with all due respect, .i could not disagree with you more.

I gave the Nerdist dozens of chances but i just can't stand Chris Hardwick or his sidekicks. they do get good guests which is why i kept trying to like it but they are not very good interviews, in my opinion. it's very casual which can be good but sometimes they have 3 people interviewing one person and it ends up with everyone talking over one another and trying to make a joke (sort of like with Robin, only worse).

and most of all, Hardwick is just annoying. I can't stand him and his fake (seems fake to me, anyway) positive attitude.

Marc Maron is still my favourite podcast interviewer i have heard.

3. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    also they are such softball interviews, which is another thing we give Howard shit for.

I understand that's probably the reason they get a lot of big guests but they never get into anything remotely controversial or deep.

4. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i've met a few celebrities before: for the most part they are not deep people. i think you expect too much from them. I cannpt stand to hear Howard ask one more celebrity about their sex lives. No one ever says "Howard, its been a dry year for me...". Everyone tells him about the time they fucked the statue of liberty and now she won't stop shinning her torch on them.." All the stories are so similar that I figure they are all fantasy for Howard's benefit. Yeah Bam is probably telling the truth, but i think he is the exception.

5. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    do you not like Maron and WTF?

6. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    I've given it a few chances, but I can't get into it. I don't find his interviews interesting.

7. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    I tried Maron but every time i listen to him, he sounds like some homeless guy ranting, like "The Rent's Too Damn High" guy who tried to run for mayor here. earlier this week his podcast started with 30 minutes of him exclaiming how he broke the bank buying some new window and shower curtains. i can't relate to someone who thinks spending $100 at IKEA is breaking the bank.

8. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i like variety. Every Howard interview sounds the same to me. i feel like i can almost predict which questions he will ask and at what time in the interview he will ask them.