What if Howie had done AGT at the height of his career when we still were rabid fans?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dlist, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Would we have moved the ratings needle that is now in the tank.

I'm thinking yes..I even patronized his sponsors (Car Cash comes to mind).

2. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    I'm think I would have been more open to it. The main reasoning being that I would want to be up on all the topics for the show. I'm not ashamed to admit that 10 years ago if Wiggy said watch, I would watch....

3. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't think so - his movie was released when we were still fans and its box office was pretty low. AGT is so lame that even hard core fans may not have been able to watch the whole show if it was around back in the day.

4. Dlist

Reputations:
    Uncle Larry, you may have a point. I went to see his movie 2 wks after it opened in NYC and it was a small crowd. I was kind of surprised b/c at that time, Howard was at the height of his career and I thought the theater would be packed.

5. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can't sit through five minutes of that AGT dreck.

I can't think of anything that would make me watch it intentionally.

6. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's possible. I think a lot of people showed up and participated in Stern-related events because they loved the show and wanted to support Howard. I doubt if most people cared much about his shitty movie or whether Hank the Dwarf was voted Most Beautiful Person but they played along out of loyalty to Howard. Now that we all know Howard is a liar and a sell-out there's no reason to support his lame attempts at mainstream acceptance or vanity projects by his wife and staff.

7. Cunt

Cunt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Even with Howard saying inappropriate/sexist/racist things that Jackie and Billy wrote for him? I'd watch that.

8. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes the shows ratings would have been much higher. He had 95% more fans than he had now and people who only heard him on free radio would have tuned in to NBC to watch.

9. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    AGT - the entire genre - was fresher back then, so I'd probably give it a shot.

10. Dlist

Reputations:
    That was me...I went to his movie within the first 2 wks to support it. I want my $12 back.

11. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

Good question.

I don't think there's any doubt, the ratings would have shot straight up. Howard commanded a lot of power and respect back then from his fans.

Then he gave it all up for satellite.

He then gave it up even more when he became an unfunny joke and mere shadow of his former self.

12. dgray610

dgray610 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The ratings would be through the roof, and the show would be more entertaining. Too bad old Howie would never have been a sellout to this type of show. He'd be too busy mocking it.

13. Dlist

Reputations:
    Satellite was funny in the early years...it was after he started trying to become PC that he turned into a douche....

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Active Member

Reputations:
    There is no way they would've asked him. He was only asked to judge AGT after he sold out to his loyal fans and suddenly was more worried about his Q rating than his fans. He slowly phased out all of the vulgarity, the nude girls, the sibean, anal ring toss, the judging of girls for Playboy, making fun of the retard whack-pack, etc. It was only after he abandoned all of that - all that made him great to us - that they asked him.

15. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I agree, but your question was whether or not AGT's ratings would have improved during the height of his popularity - which was when he was still on FM.

I agree that the first couple of years on satellite were still decent, but when he actually arrived at Sirius he lost the vast majority if his fan base.

16. TheLACritic

TheLACritic Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    He'd only be able to sustain the ratings of he wasn't the phony he's on AGT now. Howard is anything but honest on that show, had added no laughs and is an embarrassment with all his plastic surgery and slurring of words from his fake teeth.

17. Dlist

Reputations:
    If Howard was honest he would have said
    1) kids dancing the cha cha isn't a Las Vegas show
    2) juggling bowls isn't a Las Vegas show
    3) jump roping gymnastics acts aren't a Las Vegas show.

18. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I've never been in love with Stern like some of you guys. Pelican really had a strong and dogmatic following. I mean, it used to be if you said a thing about Wiggy, you'd be attacked right away as a prude, Nazi, censor, whatever.

I was never that guy. Previous to Satrad, the Chan 9 and E! show and Private Parts were my only experiences with The Wig. And one time hearing him on the radio somewhere around Richmond.

I figure a decade or so ago some of you idiots would have jumped on that bandwagon if Pelican did a gong show back then. I can't help but think many of you would have come to your senses and ripped the guy apart.

19. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Back in the 80's he did Hollywood Squares. At the time he was only on in NYC. Philly and Washington. It was a big deal for fans, seeing Howard on regular TV. If an AGT show was on then, he would have done it for sure. It ain't the 80's anymore.

20. Craignor

Craignor Bodymore, Murderland VIP

Reputations:
    There is no way Howard could have been on Prime Time Network TV at the top of his career.

First of all Reality TV wasnt around yet, no AGT. Second of all main stream media considered Howie to be quite the turd and vile shock jock at that time. The best he dould do in those years was as a guest on Hollywood Squares, Letterman, Leno, or SNL.