WTF What is it with parents and their kids these days?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dadkins, Aug 18, 2016.

1. dadkins

dadkins Active Member

Reputations:
    Need to know if I'm crazy. Parents these days seem crazy when it comes to their kids. Am I wrong?

Trying to keep this short. Wife and I have no kids. Brother and his wife have one eight year old daughter. Grand parents 100% consumed with the kid, I get that. Fine.

Wife and I love our niece. We see her when we can but we both work full time 9-5 if not later jobs. Get home after 6. You have to cut the lawn, do laundry, cook dinner, clean up, etc. 8:30 or 9:00 PM before we can crash and watch a little TV and then back up by 6:30 or 7 for work. This is Monday through Friday. Weekend is taken up with bigger house projects and trying to unwind for 5 minutes. Seems normal.

We both used to be off on Sundays. I always went to my brother's to see the kid, watch football all day, eat food, good times. He changes his work schedule and is now off Monday and Tuesday. He works from the afternoon and gets off at 10:30 PM when I'm falling asleep. Haven't been to his house in a while. Totally different schedules.

We still see our niece when we can, FaceTime and Facebook and all that. Go to her birthday, go out to dinner with her and the grand parents when he's stuck at work, buy expensive gifts, all that.

Been texting my brother funny shit from the internet for two weeks with no response. Ask him what's his problem. He responds and says honestly I'm a piece of shit because I haven't had anything to do with my niece the entire time she's been alive. Ok. WTF? I say "Sorry I'm doing all I can man. Life is busy. I didn't know when you decided to have a kid I would have to help raise her." He goes into a rage and says I get off work in 15 minutes and I'm driving over to your house to beat your ass. Ok.

I tell my parents we love our niece but we have our own lives and I'm sorry our life doesn't 100% revolve around her. Mom starts crying and says she can't believe I would say that. What the actual fuck? The kid is 8 and still in a car seat. When I was 5 I would get tossed into the back of a pick up truck on a country road and I turned out fine.

What is it with kids these days and the way the parents and grandparents treat them? Any experience in this or advice?

2. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think the stress of being a parent has caused your brother to crack.

3. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    I stopped reading at "Wife and I have no kids." Parents love it when ppl who've never had children have really strong opinions about "kids/parents these days!" :)

4. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    Sounds like he's overwhelmed with parental responsibility and may be jealous of what he sees as your laid back life.

BobbyDigital, zoben, EddieD and 18 others like this.
  5. Jayla

Reputations:
    Ok. Read it. I apologize. Not the standard I've-never-had-children-but-know-everything-about-raising-them post. :)

My assessment: your brother's a jerk.

6. Jayla

Reputations:
    And your mom's a jerk too. (Sorry).

7. hsdramaqueen

hsdramaqueen It takes horns to hold up my halo Gold

Reputations:
    Agree with @Jayla. Sounds crazy. I have kids, have never felt this way or done anything like this.

8. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    Yep. Maybe she's over focused because there's only one grandkid.

9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    A lot of parents today are fucking idiots. That's what's up.

10. dadkins

dadkins Active Member

Reputations:
    I agree with all these replies. He got married young and had a kid young. He never really got to have any fun and has always seemed angry. I think he's jealous that he sees us going out to dinner, meeting up with friends for drinks after work which is like once a week anyway because they're also professionals with 9-5 jobs and busy. But then he went on to call me a drunk. Said I had time for drinks but can't visit my niece. Again, totally different schedules. Makes no sense to me.

11. dadkins

dadkins Active Member

Reputations:
    I agree with you and Jayla.

bznick and Jayla like this.
  12. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    There are still a ton of people who fit this description and should not be throwing their opinion around. They have no clue.

oldpaddy, JFK, Scarlett Ohara and 2 others like this.
  13. Jayla

Reputations:
    :yes:

stanggirl, Scarlett Ohara and dadkins like this.
  14. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, me too. I then assumed the OP was heading down the right path in life and really didn't need any advice.

oldpaddy, EddieD, stanggirl and 3 others like this.
  15. hsdramaqueen

Reputations:
    And frankly, it sounds like you were a really nice brother and Uncle and spent a lot of quality time with your niece. More than many would do.

16. dadkins

dadkins Active Member

Reputations:
    He only lives about 20 minutes or less from me. Grandparents will pick up the kid on Sunday, drive by my house and have dinner, drive back by and take her home and never stop to see me or see how I'm doing. If we had kids I wouldn't be able to get rid of my parents but they never stop here or never call. My bother says he can't get rid of them. It just seems a little fucked up to me. I have a life and have had issues, maybe need help with something here and there. No one calls or stops by. Grandparents live an hour away too. So when they drive by my house without stopping or calling to see my but they have time for the kid, it's a little annoying.

17. Jayla

Reputations:
    @dadkins - I have a brother-in-law who wouldn't make a 15 minute trip to come meet his new nephew when we were "home" (a longish trip) because his crazy wife (who's now gone) was jealous. "Jayla just wants to show him off." :crazy:

18. Jayla

Reputations:
    And here's the kicker - the kid is named after HIM.

19. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    I don't have any kids but my parents are my full time job till pops recovers.

20. dadkins

dadkins Active Member

Reputations:
    L
    Sorry Jayla. That seems crazy too.

Jayla likes this.