What is your closest encounter with a bear?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Slow, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    I went hiking in Grand Teton in Wyoming just outside of yellowstone. We were coming across a ton of fresh tracks and droppings and I didn't know whether to shit or wind my watch. I eventually had my first encounters in yellowstone but there were so many dumb asian tourists around that I could have outrun several old women if shit went down. Has anyone here ever had a good encounter with a bear?

please spare me your encounters with this...

[​IMG]

smichal, zutroy, Tyrus and 8 others like this.
  2. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    Winnie the Pooh at Disney World

3. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I find him creepily attractive :hhh:
    And no, I never met a real bear....

smichal, stash, babybear and 2 others like this.
  4. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    :beer:

Shortwave98 and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  5. Wainegro

Wainegro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You took the fucking wind right out of my sails, I had jokes lined up, and gifs galore. Fucking killjoy

6. basto

basto Member

Reputations:
    25yds, a big sow black bear and two cubs crossed a logging road in front of me. They never even saw me. I just stood there frozen until they passed. I have gotten pictures of them also on my trail cam.

7. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This thread is probably the closest I've ever been. :chair:

8. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As a kid there were nuisance black bears in the national forest parks not far from where I lived, I remember chasing one with my uncle while banging a garbage can lid because he was interested in our barbeque. I would be scared shitless to do that now, but I thought it was great fun when I was 8. I'm kind of thinking my uncle was a drunk dumbfuck too.

9. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Funny you should ask, the online neighborhood bulletin board in my area has mentioned 2 bear sightings this week. One about 1.5 miles away from my house, another less than a quarter mile. Last week someone in another nearby town posted that a bear destroyed their chicken coop and killed their hens. Haven't seen any myself lately but in the past have had them walk through my yard and cross the road in front of my truck. Pretty impressive looking creatures.

10. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    who me?

i watched bushwhacked with daniel stern that's as close as i got

smichal and reno like this.
  11. TheMercenary

TheMercenary Collecting Light Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah I would shit, wind my watch, swallow it and shit it again if I saw that big Brown.

I've seen 180lb black bears in mountains, but far off hiking trail.

Big boy came into our camp last Fall and fucked up a big cooler someone left out.

12. blackcrystal61

blackcrystal61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ive seen bears at the zoo.. real close up.. but they are typically in an enclosure

smichal and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  13. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...when i was a little kid i got my pants leg stuck in the chain of my bike so my friend and i went to his house so his mom or grandmom could help me. so i go wheeling into the garage scooting along pushing with one leg and my friend goes inside to get help. during the process of me having to turn around to get the best working position to free my pant leg i saw this big fucking black bear, gut shot, hanging in the garage. i dont know how i didnt shit my pants but that thing scared the fuck out of me. this was in upstate ny. it could have been a bear cub but it still would have scared the hell out of me. :rofl:

14. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    I stayed a night in some hick ass town Cook City (population of 70 or so when not tourist season) Montana and had some beers with a local hick. He looked like randy quaid in national lampoons and told me if a bear chases you up a tree and kills you its a black bear. if a bear knocks your tree down and kills you it's a grizzly. I carried bear mace my whole trip like a true city slicker yankee. I heard of some old lady asian tourist getting gored by a bison right after I left. I was shocked to see the place flooded with little dinks taking pictures.

zutroy, IfTheyOnlyKnew and basto like this.
  15. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
    a black bear rummaged through the garbage close to our campsite once as we slept. we bearly even noticed.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  16. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
    I've had this Bear for 12 years.

[​IMG]

17. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    When I was 16, I had a sleepover with a bunch of girlfriends. 2 of us stayed up all night talking and went for a bike ride right around sunrise. We were quite a ways down my long road when we decided we were too tired and should turn around and go back home. Boom. Bear up the road like maybe 50 feet from us, just standing there. Well, there was no way we were going to ride past that forest teddy, so we had no choice but to keep going the other way, which was about a 5 mile ride into town. I called my mother from a pay phone and told her she had to come pick us up. To this day, she still thinks we snuck out for shenanigans and blamed our predicament on an innocent bear.

18. PropRmodulation

PropRmodulation Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was in Yellowstone last month. I saw a bear the first day but couldn't get close because of all the people there. I left the scene figuring I would see plenty of bear the rest of the week. Didn't she shit.

You are right about the asian tourists. I had to yell at them a couple of times. They were walking out in the geyser fields to take selfies, touching the bacteria hot springs that have big "DO NOT TOUCH" signs. They generally think they own the place, very rude at the hotel breakfast buffet.

19. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    I'm in love.:wub:

20. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Up in the sierras, early May, camping in a cabin.

The bears were coming out of hibernation and they were looking for easy food.

We had fished all day and we came back to the cabin with a cooler full of trout.

I set the cooler on the porch and went inside for a minute and when I opened the door to come back out, I was face to face with a black bear.

We were both startled and I was about to slam the door shut but, he turned and ran away so I just watched him go.

Later that evening, he came back by, probably looking for the trout but, we had already cooked and eaten them by then.

blindbella, reno, Slow and 2 others like this.