What should a $100 million a year radio show look like?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Phantom Lord, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I didn't get a chance to hear today's show but saw the rundown and it looks like a full day of jerking off to AGT. I started to think what the show has "evolved" into. Then I started to think about the money that Sirius is throwing at this abortion. Originally $100 million a year but lets say it's down to $80 million. What the fuck are the listeners getting?

Less and less shows and more vacations. More and more AGT talk. No Robin in the studio (not that I really care). No Howard TV. No actual comedian. About one half of the original staff from 2006. A news department that reports on things like JD getting a hair cut. No real callers only plants. Did I mention AGT. Promoting a 1 star animal shelter in one of the richest areas on the east cost that has an executive making over $350,000 a year, "but they need more money because there are a lot of stray cats in the Hamptons:facepalm:." A Wrap Up Show that cannot discuss any critical topics. They can only make fun of JD, Scott and Sal. Speaking of Sal, two guys hired full time and they are only allowed to contribute phony phone calls (which are almost impossible to do in 2014).

Shouldn't a show that is paid like this have to work 5 or even 4 days a week? Sirius is throwing money away.

I guess the question is, for $80 million a year what should they add and get rid of?

2. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What do you do for a living?

3. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    it is what it is, the calculations make sense

4. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think the news department was always a waste of money. It should have been like this:
    Channel(s) manager - $600,000
    Office manager (Gary) - $400,000
    2 people booking guests - $75,000
    8 writers/segment producers - $100,000
    1 rotating in-studio comedian - $125,000 (paid as a bonus if the comedian is one of the writers)
    Fred - $500,000
    Artie - $750,000
    Robin - $500,000
    Howard - 90,000,000 minus office expenses if they come from his budget - I've heard it both ways.

On air talent for other channels - $6,175,000

5. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    It's a whole thing.

6. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anti-Semitic filter applied, cannnnnnnottttt type carry onnnnn.....

7. RumBalls

RumBalls The original RumBalls, est. Jan 16, 2012

Reputations:
    Pissed on

8. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What basic concept that XM/Sirus doesn't understand is Howard got a lot of us to subscribe when he moved over. Now I like Sirius..If they dropped $50M/yr Howchie, I'd still subscribe..he is a douche and I rarely listen. But I like the other channels. So they shouldn't be paying him $50M/yr b/c that is not why I listen to Sirius anymore.

9. Jon Mendelsohn

Jon Mendelsohn New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    For all the whining Wig did about Oprah's Sirius contract, I read she got 55 mil for 3 years. I guarantee she had more shows on her channels than Wig did, and I'm sure they were at least on par with Abe Kanan or the Dr. Fischman show. I'm pretty sure, too, that she had more value as a salable name to advertisers (and the public in general) than wig ever did.

10. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    Excellent post Phantom Lord and a topic that should be discussed. I am just a truck driver and don't have a vast knowledge of the law but my gut tells me that stern pulled some bullshit and is getting away with something. I wouldn't even know where to start but something about his career just doesn't sit right with me.

11. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    one thing we cannot argue on this site...it is clear that super agent buchwald is worth every penny he gets paid for pulling this off..convincing Sirius they were getting a deal at this rate

and something tells me it was Buchwald that figured out how position the time off..agents really are just spin masters if you think about it

"howard it'll be great...go on lettermen and tell the fans you are only taking off some fridays in the summer. By the time they figured out we swindled em and they spent all that money on subs and equipment, it'll be too late, and we can just tell them we know they would rather have a little of you than none at all"

12. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    as much as People hated Bubba he said he needed 2.5-3 Million a year to keep doing what his show was doing so $100 Million a year should be at least 30x the show and production Bubba put out

13. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    also if the show's budget is down to 80 million, 79 million of that should go to Ronnie the Limo driver because with out him Howard would lose 90% of his material

14. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sirius/XM doesn't have much else to offer: Canned music channels mostly with no DJs or pre-recorded voice-tracking, awful talk radio like Covino & Rich, bad audio quality, etc. I use the KROQ analogy: In the early 80s, they began a three-decade legacy in LA by (at the time) shockingly different programming like The Clash, X, Gang Of Four, etc., whereas now it's the same old same old...yet they charge among the highest rates for advertising in the country and get it, all based on reputation. Same thing with Stern. He too began a 3-decade run starting with (at the time) shockingly different programming like Lesbian Dial-A-Date, interviews with a Ku Klux Klan grand wizard, making fun of the mentally challenged, etc. Like KROQ it's all watered down now but despite all the complaints on this board, Stern still brings in the most money of all the Sirius channels based solely on legacy and reputation.

15. Murphy

Murphy mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah VIP

Reputations:

Same here. I've found a lot of other talk programming that I enjoy, and I listen to a couple of the music channels.

Wiggy is atrocious, and it's ridiculous how other hosts have to tiptoe around criticizing him.

16. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This particular $80 million / year ratio show looks like the Bernard Madoff hour

17. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I used to listen to Siriusly Sinatra and the Comedy Central channel but everything is a repeat. I don't think I've had SXM on in well over a month - gone back to the USB drive or ipod. Even then, I've been listening to audiobooks lately while driving.

Guess I'm just a picky fuck...

18. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Not really. Pretty much nailed it

19. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When I think about the "evolution" of Howard, I start to think Creationists have some good ideas. Darwin is rolling in his grave when he realize this is the outcome of evolution.

20. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    The show is a lot like the Obamacare website: someone competent could do it better for a few million bucks.