What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by gwartney, Apr 7, 2014.

1. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    My daughter's dog is real sick. He's about 9 years old. We are pretty sure he's mostly Flat Coated Retriever. He just wandered into her yard half dead one day when he was a pup. I've never seen a dog who tries harder to please his master. Seriously. It's like he knows she saved his life.

Anyway, she took him to the vet and he has lots of liquid in his lungs. The dr. said 80% chance it's cancer. He could die anytime from the liquid. He's on some meds to reduce the liquid and seems to be responding. He goes back on Thursday and if he still has the liquid, he's a goner. If the liquid is reduced, she may be able to spend $1000. to find out if it is cancer and how bad it is.

Of course, if he is no better, she'll have to have him put down. My question, if he's a little better, what would you do? Would you spend a grand just to find out what he has and how bad it is? There's only a 20% chance he has something that is treatable.

My daughter has a good job and could afford the grand. She doesn't want him to suffer and, of course, she doesn't want to just throw her money away. She loves that dog unbelievably. She's totally torn up about it.

Would you have him put down or would you risk the money and possibly cause him to suffer only to have to put him down anyway?

The vet said if it was his own dog, he'd probably have him put down. What would you do?

2. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    take him for a ride

3. basketcase

basketcase Pissed that Naz only has 2 legs

Reputations:
    Show him which way the rainbow bridge is.

4. basketcase

basketcase Pissed that Naz only has 2 legs

Reputations:
    Ask Beth. She's a very good animal advocate and wrote a book about how to take care of dogs.

5. Nantrax

Nantrax Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I love animals to no end. It's easy to tell other people what to do but one thousand $$$ just to find out what kind of cancer? Plus that does not help the situation.

If the vet himself says he would put the dog down, she should listen to the vet.

Even if it's hard to accept that you will lose your pet, better do it know because the more she waits the harder it will become.

The dog is 9 years old, it's cancer and there is no guarantee they will find a solution.

6. VAsiCkBoy

VAsiCkBoy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My dog had a large tumor in her chest. I could have spent like $3,000 to have it removed and maybe she would be halfway normal.
    Sometimes it's better to let go.

7. Nantrax

Reputations:
    She'll say "Spend all of your life's savings to save him".

8. gwartney

Reputations:
    My family, including me, get way too attached to our dogs. It's going to really tear all of us up when he goes. He lived with us for a couple of years and we've babysat him lots.

9. deverrant

deverrant VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My gut is telling me to take the vet's advice. If he is 80% sure it's cancer, why put him through any more suffering?

Here are my questions, though... if it IS cancer, can it be treated? And if it's something else can it be treated quickly? And in either case will his quality of life be restored, with minimal trauma and give him a few more good years?

If money were no object I'd opt to try whatever I could as long as there was a good chance of restored quality of life for at least a couple years. But if the diagnosis is 80% chance of cancer, and IF that cancer would not be treatable/would likely just return, I wouldn't put the dog through it.

10. gwartney

Reputations:
    I know you guys are right. My daughter is afraid she is going to have terrible regrets if she doesn't know for sure he can't be saved.

11. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    That's true, she wrote a book so she is the one to ask

12. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    My brother just put his dog down this weekend, he probably should have done it awhile ago, but everyone is different. People discouraged me from having Heathcliff's leg amputated, but he had 2 great years and didn't miss a beat.

If she can afford the treatment no problem, then find out, if it's the worst case scenario, make him as comfortable as possible. His suffering to be avoided, not their's. It so fucking hard.

13. gwartney

Reputations:
    Money is definitely an object. She can probably come up with a grand but anything more is going to be a hardship. I can't really help her either. These are all good questions to ask the doctor. I just keep telling her that she needs to do what is best for him and will cause him the least suffering. He's been too good to her to end his life suffering.

14. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    ...and had I taken the vets advice 8 years before I would have put Heathclif down, she diagnosed him with terminal and aggressive cancer, over the course of 5 months, it disappeared with no treatment whatoever

15. gwartney

Reputations:
    I won't tell my daughter this. She admitted she is having a hard time not exaggerating the possibilities of the 20%.

16. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    sucked when i had to put my dog down. had him for 15 years :down:

17. gwartney

Reputations:
    Yeah, I had to put my lab down almost 5 years ago and I swore I'd never get another dog because of the heartache. I ended up with my other daughter's dog and this sick one is just like one of my own.

18. Nantrax

Reputations:
    That's your answer right there. Let's say they find out what kind of cancer the dog has.... and they need to treat the cancer.... another 500$.... can she afford that?

Howard spending 1000$ is 1$ for us.

Like I said, I understand... i've been there before but I don't see how this can end well.

19. deverrant

deverrant VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Tough call. But I'd probably choose to make him comfortable and let him go peacefully. :(

20. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    awe shit gwart, this is a tought one :console: