What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by GSD, Jan 28, 2011.

1. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Lately I've noticing that there are an awful lot of completely irrelevant, unnecessary and even invasive questions posed to me or the people I'm with every day. If you fail to respond the way these douches expect they get all testy and aggravated and often increase the pressure, including using veiled threats (or direct ones if it is any form of gov agency) to get what they want from you.

REPLY WITH YOUR RESPONSE

Don't give smart ass answers (unless you're Snappy because I'd expect it) or would really say it in person. I'll post the response by me or the people I was with later........

I'll give the scenarios 1 @ a time

Major Electronics Store

Buying a laptop computer

Salesperson: So will that be all? Ok, here is your free software
    Person X: Yes, I chose this and that
    Salesperson: Ok how will you pay for that
    Person X: Cash
    Salesperson: Ok. We need your name, home phone number & email address?
    Person X: I don't give out that information
    Salesperson: Well we need to have it to activate your software
    Person X: I don't want the software then
    Salesperson (Now visibly aggravated): Well its company protocol we need to have it anyway in order to complete the purchase

YOUR ANSWER HERE:

If you have noticed the same thing or start to notice it feel free to post your situations here

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. ohnoes

ohnoes New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I just actually went through this (for a desktop) last week. I told the guy "listen, I understand you have to push all this extra shit as part of your job but I just want to pay and leave. Ring it up or get the manager!!!"

3. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    :jj: That's more calm than I'd expect from you

It just reminded me of a great one I almost forgot about. I'll actually post it next. You'll love the response my friend gave to these parasites

4. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    my ex hubby used to tell radio shack that his number was unlisted, and that used to work many years ago.

Now i just say "im not comfortable giving out that information" and if they gave me nonsense about completing the transaction, i'd say OK, leave everything on the counter and walk out.

I hate the total invasion of privacy these days.

Let me pose you a similar, but opposite question.

I know a dentist who had a new patient come in. Gave no address, no phone number, so ss#, and only his first name. Filled out the relevant medical and dental info, but no identifying info. Do you treat him?

5. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    I would say sure I would treat them as long as they agreed to pay cash before leaving the office. I'm assuming cash since they wouldn't give a credit card or other identifying forms of payment.

If I thought they were shady I would have them prepay for anticipated services or give a potentially refundable deposit

I've got a doctors office one later

6. ohnoes

Reputations:
    It wasn't the kid's fault. He's just doing what he's told to keep his job. I'm not gonna bully a 16 year old...deep down I'm sure he appreciated not having to go through the entire spiel.

7. ohnoes

Reputations:
    If you like working for free then sure...why not? :jj:

8. Partyxanimal

Partyxanimal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    YOUR ANSWER HERE: (i just went through this too over the summer) He kinda pissed me off so I told him "I realize you have to push this stuff , But i just want to buy this laptop and leave" If he wouldn't have gotten the picture i would have said , I'm going to shop around , I'll be back later.

9. Bye You!

Reputations:
    that's what this guy did. The front desk asked him for a phone number to contact him to confirm appointments, and he said "i won't miss any" then they said "what if we have to cancel your appointment?" he said that wouldn't be a problem.

Dentist says he is the best patient ever, because he pays cash up front, never misses an appointment, never asks for meds, and is a really nice guy. Probably on the wrong side of the law, but that doesn't concern us. :jj:

i have had pharmacies not fill my prescriptions because they don't have my insurance info, after i told them when dropping it off that i don't have insurance!

I had to make up a birthday for my stray cat so the pharmacy could enter it into the computer so HE could get his medication. it's insane! i told the lady it was the stupidest thing i ever heard, but she just works there, she has nothing to do with the design of the systems.

I really would love to be like the patient of the guy i know. And i would also love to get a fake driver's license, for the specific purpose of health and medicine. I was denied health insurance because in 2001 i got ALLERGY SHOTS!!! it is no one's business what i do at doctors and what pills i take because i pay cash for it all, but i still have to get violated every step of the way.

it's insane!!!!!

10. latin mami

latin mami aye aye aye VIP

Reputations:
    I would probably say...
    well which is it? for the software or protocol?
    then I would proceed to give a fake name and number and say I wouldn't have an active email address until I get this computer home!!

either that or just walk out!!

11. Bye You!

Reputations:
    you have the best answer so far. :)

12. lucky

lucky New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I'll help you out. This works every time:

When asked by a salesperson for personal info not needed to complete the transaction, just shrug and politely say, "No, thank you."

That may not even be an appropriate response to what it was they asked, which will then prompt them to repeat or justify their inquisition, to which you again reply, "eh, no thanks."

If that hasn't settled it by then, the third time you repeat "no thanks" will. When the salesperson is done ringing you up, smile and say, "Thanks, and have a nice day."

Done and done.

13. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    I had this happen recently as well. I of course said no at first, and he of course said it was policy, blah blah blah...

I stayed perfectly calm and said, "You do know of course that any information I give you will be complete bullshit and a waste of both of our times but only entertaining to me, right?"

He said he still needed it, so I said go ahead, shoot.

Address?

I said, "Four."

He said I need a street name.

"That is the street name."

You just gave me a number.

"You realize you're arguing about my fake address, right?"

I still need the information sir.

"Well since YOU know what you need, and we both know I'm making this shit up, how bout you make the shit up and save me the aggravation."

I'm not sure how to answer that sir.

"Don't bother."

I left. I fucking hate people. If I couldn't find amusement in the torture of them I think I would die from frustration.

14. latin mami

latin mami aye aye aye VIP

Reputations:
    :jj: I'm gonna have to try this

15. Bye You!

Reputations:
    i could not agree with that any more. I find myself fucking with people on the subway just for the fun of it. I hate what I have become :facepalm:

but I hate everybody else more. :pissed:

16. low selfestitle

low selfestitle Moderator Staff Member

Reputations:
    :clap: That's brilliant!

17. ohnoes

Reputations:
    So you're the one that told me the Empire State Building was in Far Rockaway!!! :mad:

18. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Yeh, if its a kid I'd ease up.

These dopes we dealt with were in their 30's oddly all around 300 lbs. They know what they're doing

19. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    The guy I was with said something similar and it didn't work. I suggest going to another store. The clerk didn't give a shit. I asked him do they work on commission. He said no. That explains why we stood in the empty store for 10 minutes before we could attract the attention of anyone of the 10 people avoiding us in the store. Also explains why he didn't give a shit if we left

20. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    :jj: birthday of his cat. Maybe it was Nemo?

Without insurance I would do the same. If you lie to insurance and get caught that could be bigger headaches.

He may even be a criminal but as long as he's not causing trouble, meh.

Do you have a security camera in the building entrance or your office where you'd at least have a picture of him stored for a while if there was a problem?