What's the real reason for the "Birthday Bash" and the hard sell?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HooHoo, Dec 26, 2013.

1. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why the hard sell on the "Birthday Bash"? B.S. detected

I've been trying to figure out what the real angle is on this "birthday show" bullshit. The hard sell Wiggy has been putting on this thing for weeks trying to create perception that its some big deal and "everyone wants tickets" - isn't sitting right. We all know the Wig doesn't get out of bed unless someone's putting sugar on the end of their dick.

He's intent on repeating how exclusive it is and that there aren't any more tickets available and for callers to stop asking him for tickets. Cue Ringo sound drops that have long run dry comedically. Five minutes later, "demand is through the roof, Robin. I wish people would stop asking because I dont have any more tickets..." then lets through a few unsettled nutjobs who told the call screener they want tickets, he sees the fact on his screen and picks up on them to say he "doesn't have any more tickets" but "alright, they can play a game".

Maybe there's a genuine fear of how little people do care about him anymore to the extent it ends up like that Texas AGT taping with a couple dozen people in a hall that holds 1500. Just like that 7 million dollar cat hotel sham that's so imperative, like everything he does there's some hidden agenda, some financial or tax evasion angle on the thing we're not seeing. Its just hard to believe the face value "Sirius is holding a party in my honor Robin" line, after he made them bleed in legal fees defending his failed cashgrab suit. How does Sirius benefit from some localized event? Its not getting more subs turned on. And you know deep down it bothers Wiggy to even be having to take part in it, he resents it and is probably crying neurotically to his shrink nonstop over the damn thing and how its a major inconvenience.

I'd love to know what's compelling him out of his howard-hughes comfort bubble enough to go through all the trouble and shake down his rolodex of B-listers to show up. And BeethO has got to be mixed up in it somehow.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
    It has to have something to do with raising money for beff. Either way he looks sad and pathetic.

3. Murphy

Murphy mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah VIP

Reputations:
    :winner:

There cannot be ANY other reason for this. It's not like it's a "big" birthday, like he's hitting 65. It's nothing but a cash-grab for the miserly billionaire's vapid show pony.

4. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    They'll wind up bringing in some tourists from Times Square to fill the venue.

5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Everything Howard does is the greatest most anticipated EVER!
    This is about Howard and his quest to prank Sirius into another 3-5 year deal.

6. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here is my theory. This is all Don Buckwald. I think Don had a heart to heart with Wiggy. Howard is Don's cash cow and he has kept Howard's career on auto-pilot for years (except for contract negotiations). The "Howard Brand" has been in a downward spiral for some time now. I think Howard and Don expected more from AGT, which I also thinked Don pressured him to do.

2013 has been a very humbling year for the Stern Show. The fans are pissed and in decline. AGT is what it is, and Stern fans don't care, hence the ratings. Nobody on the staff can sell a book if their life depended on it. The Sirius lawsuit and appeal were an utter failure. Then there is what I think was the catalyst that got this Birthday show going, the cancellation of Howard TV.

Don cannot spin the reason why Howard TV was dropped. It is only dropped if it couldn't make money. Fans don't want a TV show that is the same price it was 2 years ago with half the content. That whole piece of the show was dropped because subscribers were dropping. Siruis doesn't give us the show ratings so Howard call always push his BS of the show having millions upon millions of listeners. However, when your entire TV department that you have had film you since the mid 1990s is fired and dropped because of low subscribers you can't sell it any other way than your show is failing.

They probably knew about Howard TV getting dropped back in August. Don probably sat down with Howard in September/October to talk about the Howard brand and how it needs to be built up. Howard won't do a remote show outside of New York so Don likely brought up the old days and how popular the Birthday shows were. Don then sells Howard the idea of having the biggest Birthday show where it is promoted like the biggest party of the year. Don tells Sirius that Howard will do it for free if Sirius will promote it. They do it Superbowl weekend hoping A List celebs will pop in. The idea is pitched to the staff and we get 2 months of non-stop promotion selling the idea that this is the biggest thing the show has ever done. The staff has seen many of their co-workers fired so they are going to do everything to promote it. Howard knows if he wan'ts to broadcast from Florida in 2 years or simply sell his catalog of old shows to Sirius, or even move to another format, he is going to have to step it up at times in 2014.

There you have it. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. illini fan

illini fan New Member VIP

Reputations:

Agreed..I'm sure Beth and he discussed how to celebrate his 60th and Beth pushed the idea of a celebrity whorefest...and thus you get the birthday show...

:cheer:

8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Sirius has been waiting 8 years for the wigged lazy fuck to do a road show.
    Sterns contract is very specific on who pays for what.
    Howard is absolutely paying for part of this event.
    He would never admit it and Sirius doesn't care if he claims they are paying for it.
    Howard needs this event more than Sirius.

It is not about Don.
    It is not about Beth.
    It is ALL about Howard!!!

9. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Sure wish you both were going.:)

10. Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    boobs please![​IMG]

11. illini fan

illini fan New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Morning Vegasgirl..Hope your Christmas went well!!!

..You think if I called the show, Howard would give me tickets??

:jj:

12. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Maryanne and bobo and all those other ass lickers are going, I wonder what 8 people they're going to corral behind a barricade to act like its a huge event.

13. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If it is such a hot ticket, why did they take out a full page ad in a magazine?

14. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    If you look at the full page ad (on another post) - it says that the Birthday Bash is a Howard Stern Production. Therefore, the BB is a package that Buchwald sold to SiriusXM. It appears to be all about money. Stern/Buchwald realized this BD would be a good reason to put together a big event and sell it to Sirius. So, they make a couple of million on the sale of the show to Sirius, Howard has a topic to talk about for months before, get's some good buzz going to promote the upcoming AGT season. Everybody's happy.

The question I have is about TV rights to the BD Bash. I haven't heard anything about it being filmed and played on TV somewhere. I have to believe Stern is having the old Howard TV crew film it, and either selling the show to cable or some other outlet.

If there's any mystery here it's around the TV rights. Maybe Stern is going to try and use the TV rights to launch something new.

:coffee:

16. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
    What confuses me is the appeal of a birthday party on a friday night with "stars" who we do not even know.
    What kind of entertainment do they have to offer? Stamos is going to give a speech? Is it a roast? A few of
    the same old musicians will perform? They are hyping something that is not even explained. The whole thing
    smells like a party for beff. So she can walk down a red carpet and be the bell of the ball. It makes zero sense
    otherwise.

17. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think there is an angle. Its pretty obvious to anyone observing what the show has become in the later Sirius era. I personally believe that Howard is trying to show everyone that he's not a has-been, and that he can still put on a big show the way he used to with his PPV specials in the '80s and '90s. (By the way - how much do you think Howard will be charging for a video copy of the birthday bash? I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't try to hawk copies like he used to in the old days.) Then there is the cash grab, but Howard is already so rich that the amount of money he could get from a few poor slobs to attend this thing can't be enough to make a difference to his bottom line. Then there is the Beffie angle, another way to get her Botox'd and rapidly aging mug on camera, someplace she has no business being.

My sense is that its a vanity project for Howard, not much else.

18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard has to film this event even if it is just to release clips to get some media love.

Part of the hard sell of the revolution was all the amazing musical artists that would be wandering around just waiting to perform for Howard...in the fish bowl, Robin. Of course that was said when Wiggy thought he was a partner.
    The revolution has been an F- as far as musical guests go......because Stern wouldn't fork over the money to air said performances on Howardtv. Billy Joel wanted to stay but Howard booted him from the studio because Billy singing was good for Sirius and not good for HOWARDTV!

Year 8 of the revolution yet during the stern music specials 90 percent of the performances are from the FM radio days......whats up with that, Robin?

BTW some artists like Gaga and Robin Thicke gave Howardtv 6 month (?) FREE rights to air their stuff....right?

Booey let it be known that they will take a musical performance only with no Stern interview. They are obviously looking for another David Bowie performance. I wonder if they will get fatso to do the show.

19. bznick

bznick Hustling, Flowing, and Hating! Gold

Reputations:
    Here you are Ruf!

[​IMG]

20. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've said it since the day the Birthday Show was announced, this is a last ditch effort by Sirius to turn around the declining subscriptions for Howard and make his contract look more justified. Sirius executives are all about making Sirius look profitable (probably for a sale).

How were they going to stop the Howard defection and add new listeners? Well, how do you do it without Howard taking less days off and putting more effort into the show? Advertising Howard's show alone doesn't do it anymore. Anyone who didn't follow him to Satellite from terrestrial radio aren't going to follow him there now. He has been on AGT for two years and any additional subscribers from audience would be minimal at this point.

Howard when he was just a NY DJ made national news and grew his popularity with big pay per view events. I bet that is what he and Gary sold Sirius on with this event. He said it would get them tons of publicity (not so much) and people would buy equipment and/or subscribe just to hear this event.

The plan with this event is to jump start Howard based subscriptions and give Sirius a better return on their investment on the final two years of his contract.