When Howard jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by CowboyX, Apr 11, 2012.

1. CowboyX

CowboyX Member

Reputations:
    It has to be Beth, right?

2. bwiddy

bwiddy Member

Reputations:
    I would point to the divorce and or Jackie leaving the show as the jumping off point or even Howard ramping up his therapy sessions after the divorce. Beth is more an effect of those causes.

3. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    The Private Parts book, and subsequent movie were the death knell. Head size increased two fold.

4. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    His therapist must be laughing all the way to the bank. All those sessions and Howard's still miserable and now more confused than ever!

5. bigconig

bigconig Member

Reputations:
    The show or the man? Because I liked the show long after Howie started sucking. Now they both suck.

6. slacker

slacker New Member

Reputations:
    First day on sirius.... No guests... No cursing.... No flipn the fuck out on every single person that fucked him over... Game over...

7. Dominic GPS

Dominic GPS TIT: Texan-In-Training VIP

Reputations:
    selena maybe

but my memory of that has faded

8. KOAGP

KOAGP Member

Reputations:
    YO

I believe it was a year or so before Artie had to go,that Howie took both Gilbert and Artie aside and told them to tone down the gay and racist stuff during the news . . . and then he never let Gilbert sit in on the news again.

RIGHT THERE - that was it.
    The show went further and further down hill from there and has not gotten back up.

Just my opinion

Anyone else remember this?
    It was copped to on the air.
    Howard did mention that he had to have a little meeting with them.

! ! !

9. Verbz

Verbz Member

Reputations:
    He stopped saying "fag". It was really over when he started to look back on himself and view his legacy as something the hamptons crowd would frown upon.

10. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Once he got possession of the tapes, there was never any more creative input.
    All the staff effort goes into dissecting them into the non stop "specials" we're subjected to as substitute programming.

11. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Vinaigrette on the newleywed game

12. HowieHasBeen

HowieHasBeen VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Rosie. When her started to mend the fence with that fucking pig.

13. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    for all listed above including the therapist laughing to the bank, wiggy is one fucked up freakshow.

14. Phil A Sheo

Phil A Sheo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    According to this man Stern has never and will never jump the shark...he takes this stuff VERY seriously.

[​IMG]

15. 32hunter

32hunter Member

Reputations:
    that sounds right to me. Artie and Richard and Sal tried to keep the laughs coming, but stern silenced them all.

16. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

17. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
    When he left WWWW in Detroit.

18. tedsfrozenhead

tedsfrozenhead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He jumped the Shark when Beth decided she didn't want to be famous.

19. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    When Jackie stopped fingercotting jokes into his mouth he lost the personal funny. It just wasn't evident for awhile since the laughs were substituted through a sober Artie.

20. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    While the show had been declining for awhile the official junp the shark moment for me was when Howard announced he was going to America's Got Talent

At that point the show became a 2-3 day a week infomercial with horrible guests and virtually no laugh out loud moments

While I had stopped downloading and listening to the show in early 2011 (being 3 days a week at the time, I caught all the best moments on HTV) it was soon after this moment that I ceased being a fan of the current show. The only segment I have heard since then was the king of all blacks call.

Other jump the shark moments where the show took a dramatic turn for the worse (yet I still listened/watched)

1.Jackie leaving. He was far better at writing for Howard then Benjy. He was also brilliant at stirring up shit and was the only person not afraid to call out Howard, Fred, and Robin on a constant basis. Think of how many great Howard vs Fred fights were egged on by Jackie. Artie was a great replacement, but he rarely stirred up the shit like Jackie did and hardly ever called out the big three

2. Howard announcing his engagement so Beth would get treated better by the doorman (read: become a fully accepted member of the hamptons party circuit). The fact that Howard wants to fit in with this crowd is half the reason the show was nuetered (other half being Howard's need to foster an acceptable pc image for NBC)

3. The news segment when HOward got frustrated by the fact that Gilbert was sitting in, and Artie and Gilbert had the audacity to be funny. That was the last time a comedian sat in for the news, and the last "classic Gilbert" visit. Soon after that Howard joined to pc police

4. Artie leaving. Yes Artie was often annoying, and a detriment to the show in his last year he still remained THE focal point of the show. He along with Sal were THE ONLY show members who had interesting lives and were willing/able to talk about it. He was responsible for 90% of the funny non pc jabs, testosterone, and entertaining fights that were once the Stern shows DNA. Also even though 2009 was his worst year, consider how much he added to the highlight of the year "Gary's gay pitch"

5.Howard refusing to replace Artie. At this point it was evident that, in the words of Gary, "The show is no longer a comedy show"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012