[h=1]Federal authorities charge white â€˜knockoutâ€™ suspect with hate crime[/h] By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times Thursday, December 26, 2013 Federal authorities said Thursday they have arrested and charged a Texas man in connection with the â€œknockout game,â€ accusing him of a hate crime for targeting a black man for a vicious street attack. Most knockout victims that have appeared in news reports have been white, but the Justice Department said in this instance the victim was a 79-year-old black man, and stepped in with federal charges. â€œSuspected crimes of this nature will simply not be tolerated,â€ said Kenneth Magidson, the U.S. attorney for the southern district of Texas. â€œEvidence of hate crimes will be vigorously investigated and prosecuted with the assistance of all our partners to the fullest extent of the law.â€ The Justice Department said it filed a criminal complaint against 27-year-old Conrad Alvin Barrett on Tuesday and arrested him on Thursday. According to Justice officials, Mr. Barrett recorded himself on his cellphone attacking the 79-year-old man, laughing and saying â€œKnockoutâ€ as he runs away. The 79-year-old man had his jaw broken in the Nov. 24 attack. â€œThe plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?â€ Mr. Barrett says in the video, according to the authorities. Knockout, in which someone decides to attack a random victim and tries to knock him or her out with one punch, has been in the news after a spate of assaults in recent weeks. The â€œgameâ€ has spawned a fierce debate since many of the reported victims have been white and their assailants have been black, but hate crimes charges have been all but non-existent. Last month New York authorities did charge one person with a hate crime, saying the assailant targeted a Jewish man.