When was the last time you had to go to...

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by PullMyFinger, Feb 7, 2011.

1. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    the hospital for treatment? What for and how much did it cost, regardless if you had to pay for it or your insurance did?

I had to go to the ER last March for kidney stones. I took the ambulance and was in the ER for about 5 hours with waiting and treatment. I had one ct scan taken, blood work and was given a muscle relaxant. Total cost with ambulance, tests, meds, hospital and doctors fees was around $6000.

2. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    i had the same exact thing in 2004. cost me $50. except no ambulance ride.

I had insurance then

did they say why you got the stones? no one could explain it to me. I am so terrified of getting them again

3. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    They said there was no clear cut way to know what caused it, but I had been fighting a flu for the week prior and had been at an all day auction the day before I woke up with the pain, at which I wasn't really drinking any fluids because they had no concession area and the nearest store was like 15 minutes drive away. So they were leaning towards dehydration as the main cause. Luckily, I haven't had them since, but they told me I could count on getting them again at some point. Yay!

Mine were only 4mm and 2mm, so they said they were small enough to eventually pass on their own in a few days. I'm not sure how long they took to pass because I made sure to take the pain meds for at least 5 days so I knew they had passed by the time I stopped the meds. You?

4. Bye You!

Reputations:
    that acute pain that brought me to the ER was by faaaaaaar the worst pain i have ever felt. ever.

I was curled up in a ball, sobbing uncontrollably, rocking back and forth, muttering "i'm never having children, i'm never having children"

then the lovely and glorious dilaudid came, and I was not hysterical anymore. I did ask for another shot and got it. Then i was in HEAVEN!

that part lasted a few hours. when i woke up I wasn't screaming in pain, so they sent me home with a prescription for vicodin.

had the CT, followed up with the urologist (who apparently doesn't get asked nearly as many embarrassing questions as one would think), had urine and bloodwork done may times, and they never found a thing.

It passed the kidney in a few hours, but stayed in my bladder for WEEKS. the only time i felt OK was the few minutes between an empty bladder that felt like it had gravel in it, and a full bladder that hurt because i had to pee. I was afraid to drink, i was afraid to pee because it hurt like a mofo, and i was afraid to not drink. I was frigging miserable.

The day i went for the IVP, as soon as they injected the contrast in my vein, i felt better. I never felt the stone(s) passing, thank goodness, but i know that day was when they went away. and that was like 3 weeks later. OUCH!

5. Markijuano

Markijuano Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just went down in early Jan. First flu ever, 20 bones on the co-pay, 8 inch q-tip up the nostril to confirm flu, 3 days no work it was aiight

6. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    Yea, it was really some intense pain. It started at 6am when I woke up and I tried to fight it until around 2pm, but by then, the pain was so intense I started vomiting and decided to call for the ambulance. They offered me a morphine drip at the hospital, but I tried the muscle relaxant first because I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible and figured the morphine might make me loopy. Luckily, it worked within 15 minutes.

7. ChuckZ

ChuckZ You're so pusillanimous, oh yea.

Reputations:
    I was in the ER/Hospital 3 times within a few weeks. First seizure/stroke, 2nd time blood clot/staph infection from 1st visit, 3rd time bad reaction to the antibiotics from the 2nd trip did a number on my stomach. Probably 7-8 years ago.

8. Bye You!

Reputations:
    you're NUTS! :crazy2:

you turned down morphine????? in the face of THAT pain? maybe i should have had muscle relaxers, since i suffered for weeks.

Without a doubt the worst pain imaginable. Women who have given birth and had kidney stones say stones are worse.As i was being driven to the hospital, i was floored by the amount of pain I was in, but i would console myself by saying "well, it can't get worse" and IT DID!!!!! every time!!!!!

Pain took on a whole new definition.

When i ask people to rate their pain for me on a scale of 1-10, i now ask them what's the worst pain they ever felt. The scale changed big time after i had a kidney stone.

I was certain my kidney was about to explode and I was going to die, and in all honesty, it couldn't happen fast enough for me. If i had a gun, I definitely would have shot myself right in the head. it's THAT bad.

9. Bye You!

Reputations:
    oh my goodness! that's terrible. how much did that cost you?

10. ChuckZ

Reputations:
    Nothing for me, a lot for the insurance company. :D

11. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    That had to be a nice size bill. Do you remember at all what the total was for the 3 visits? Even if your insurance paid it.

12. ChuckZ

Reputations:
    Nope, I went for a Gall Bladder a few years before that, that was about 10K for a few days, insurance paid again. That was one where the pain killer really came in handy. :c

13. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    :weird::jj::facepalm:

You and Tyson are going in my Saloon Death Pool. :nutz:

14. ChuckZ

Reputations:
    Haven't been to the hospital since those 3 times & no symptoms from the stroke. Go back to Walgreen's & someone could make a fortune on you.

15. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    1999, Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Thank God for the neurologists at Georgetown. It was bad, but could have been much worse.

Now I'm the epitome of health :udance: