Where were you when you heard about the planes on 9/11?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Thedomina, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Thedomina

Thedomina Unfriendly

Reputations:
    I was getting ready for work listening to Howard when he announced the first plane had struck. I looked out my window and saw the tower on fire. Then the 2nd plane. I walked my dog then started to walk to work, when it saw the tower fall and turned around and went home. It was such a beautiful morning, crisp fall air, not a cloud in the sky. It took a while for the enormity of what happened to sink in.

joyceface, babybear, smichal and 7 others like this.
  2. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    I was in class. Teacher stopped class. Watched for a while and were sent home.

smichal, GIRLY and Thedomina like this.
  3. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...I just woke up laying in bed turned on fox news and the first plane already hit reports were just coming in to fox. Then I saw the second plane and spent the rest of the day watching and seeing a couple live interviews air only once even tho i waited to see it again cause everything was being rerun all day except that one interview from outside shanksville with a group of hunters who saw the plane go down there.

smichal, GIRLY and PelicanWig like this.
  4. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I had broken my foot and was on light duty at work at Walt Disney World. I was in charge of handing out paychecks (a sitting down position). 9/11 was not on a payday, so I pretty much was sitting around twittling my thumbs. Right across from the office was a break room. Someone came in and casually mentioned that a plane had crashed into the Twin Towers. I didn't think much about it. I figured it was probably a small aircraft (not a commercial airliner). I hobbled in there on my break and sat down to watch the news on TV. The whole break room was riveted to the television. Within 5 minutes the second plane came in and hit the other tower. My blood ran cold as I'm sure everyone else in the room did too, for we instantly knew this was no accident. Not long afterwards all hell broke loose and you never saw so many supervisors come out of the woodwork. For the first time in it's history the shut down the Magic Kingdom. To this day I've always wondered what went on above me as the had to evacuate the entire park of guest. That must have been something to witness.

Shamrock12, smichal, GIRLY and 2 others like this.
  5. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was at work and we had a showroom with some big screen TV's. I was on the sales side doing some paperwork and a couple of women from the office walked over and said a plane hit the WTC. Didn't think much of it at first, assuming it was a private plane accident. Went into the showroom and started watching coverage and realized it was a passenger jet. The second one hit at about the time I started watching. Work came to a halt as all the networks joined in and then the whole office screamed when the first tower collapsed. I remember that whole awful day and thought about it all day today.

smichal and PelicanWig like this.
  6. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I was in a strip bar in new orleans

Dlist, GIRLY and PelicanWig like this.
  7. rockstarhair

rockstarhair Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was driving to work in Arlington, TX and listening to Howard. It was around 8:45 am or so and the first plane hit. When I got to work, I saw on tv the one tower falling. The strange thing about it was that the Dallas radio station kept Howard on a one hour delay. No one called me when it happened and I couldn't believe two towers were hit when I got to work.

GIRLY likes this.
  8. Thedomina

Thedomina Unfriendly

Reputations:
    That's a really interesting story, I never thought about something like Walt Disney world having to shut down. I wonder how long that took to implement. How long did the park stay closed for?

smichal and PelicanWig like this.
  9. DearLawd

DearLawd Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was going into the office late. i was just about to walk out the door and went to turn the Today Show off. Remember that horrifying morning like it was yesterday.

GIRLY likes this.
  10. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I called out sick early in the morning (6:30ish) and went back to bed. When I woke up around 10:00, I went into my office and got online (2001 dial-up). There was a major problem with the internet. Every site was just crawling or timing out. I finally gave up and went downstairs and turned on the TV.
    I live directly under a flight path for east bound planes heading into Philly, so there was always the sound of a plane in the distance. It was the kind of thing you get used to. You don't hear it until it stops.
    For three days the skies were eerily quiet with one small exception when a pair of F-16s flew over. It was then that I truly realized we were at war.

smichal, GIRLY, PelicanWig and 2 others like this.
  11. Thedomina

Thedomina Unfriendly

Reputations:
    I felt that in the following days. I lived in lower Manhattan and everything was shut down. No cars were allowed to enter below 14th street, so no stores or newstands could get deliveries. I remember walking uptown just to buy a newspaper and the only vehicle on the street was the occasional tank.

smichal, GIRLY and AGT Blows like this.
  12. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Surprisingly, they opened up the very next day, business as usual. I don't know how long it took to evacuate the park. I'm not even sure they the guest were told why. I'm sure 99.9% of them were clueless to what had occurred. Remember, this was before Twitter, smart phones, wi-fi, etc. were the norm. I know that the cast members in the tunnels below were told to leave asap. Were were calm and organized, but I think we all probably look like stoned out zombies trying too digest what happened and what was yet to come.

It was a day I'll never forget, that's for sure.

13. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    My first appointment that day was scheduled for 11:00 so I was at home getting ready to go to work. Regis was on and they were talking about what a beautiful day it was. Then they said a small plane hit a tower and they showed a shot of it. I remember thinking it looked small but that the fire seemed excessive. Then the news broke in about it just before the second one hit. I remember some moron saying, "this has to be terrorism because what are the odds of a second plane hitting?" No shit, Sherlock. :facepalm:

smichal likes this.
  14. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    75 th floor of the tall white one. I left the building like George Castanza.
    [​IMG]

Dlist, Shamrock12, smichal and 4 others like this.
  15. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I was listening to Howard Stern, I tuned in at 6:15 Pacific time expecting the show to start on delay like usual but he was talking about.the towers being hit, didn't believe it at first, tuned into the news station and found out it was real.

smichal, GIRLY, reno and 2 others like this.
  16. FosterKitten

FosterKitten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WDW was thought to be one of the possible targets that day. We went to see the Osborn Light Show and some other thing at The Studios in early December and I was still scared that the place might be attacked.

PelicanWig likes this.
  17. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Kind of ashamed, had been up all night partying with hot much younger girlfriend. That morning we watched in horror as the WTC footage was shown over and over again on TV. She later ended our relationship saying one of the reasons was the sad memory of us together watching that on TV.

smichal, GIRLY and AllAboutHim Ed like this.
  18. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I was in California, so I heard about it while getting ready for work. Ended up taking the day off, as did many other folks in the office - never heard any of the Stern show that day because I only listened to his show in the car on my way to work.

19. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:

...and you believed her? :jj:

Dlist, lilbuddy67, GIRLY and 3 others like this.
  20. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Sitting in my vehicle in traffic on the way to an appointment. I remember exactly where I was in the city when it happened.

smichal likes this.