Which of the 11 American nations do you live in?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Oct 27, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Click thumb for large view..
    upinarms-map-large.jpg

Red states and blue states? Flyover country and the coasts? How simplistic. Colin Woodard, a reporter at the Portland Press Herald and author of several books, says North America can be broken neatly into 11 separate nation-states, where dominant cultures explain our voting behaviors and attitudes toward everything from social issues to the role of government.

“The borders of my eleven American nations are reflected in many different types of maps — including maps showing the distribution of linguistic dialects, the spread of cultural artifacts, the prevalence of different religious denominations, and the county-by-county breakdown of voting in virtually every hotly contested presidential race in our history,” Woodard writes in the Fall 2013 issue of Tufts University’s alumni magazine. “Our continent’s famed mobility has been reinforcing, not dissolving, regional differences, as people increasingly sort themselves into like-minded communities.”

Woodard lays out his map in the new book “American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America.” Here’s how he breaks down the continent:

Yankeedom: Founded by Puritans, residents in Northeastern states and the industrial Midwest tend to be more comfortable with government regulation. They value education and the common good more than other regions.

New Netherland: The Netherlands was the most sophisticated society in the Western world when New York was founded, Woodard writes, so it’s no wonder that the region has been a hub of global commerce. It’s also the region most accepting of historically persecuted populations.

The Midlands: Stretching from Quaker territory west through Iowa and into more populated areas of the Midwest, the Midlands are “pluralistic and organized around the middle class.” Government intrusion is unwelcome, and ethnic and ideological purity isn’t a priority.

Tidewater: The coastal regions in the English colonies of Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland and Delaware tend to respect authority and value tradition. Once the most powerful American nation, it began to decline during Westward expansion.

Greater Appalachia: Extending from West Virginia through the Great Smoky Mountains and into Northwest Texas, the descendants of Irish, English and Scottish settlers value individual liberty. Residents are “intensely suspicious of lowland aristocrats and Yankee social engineers.”

Deep South: Dixie still traces its roots to the caste system established by masters who tried to duplicate West Indies-style slave society, Woodard writes. The Old South values states’ rights and local control and fights the expansion of federal powers.

El Norte: Southwest Texas and the border region is the oldest, and most linguistically different, nation in the Americas. Hard work and self-sufficiency are prized values.

The Left Coast: A hybrid, Woodard says, of Appalachian independence and Yankee utopianism loosely defined by the Pacific Ocean on one side and coastal mountain ranges like the Cascades and the Sierra Nevadas on the other. The independence and innovation required of early explorers continues to manifest in places like Silicon Valley and the tech companies around Seattle.

The Far West: The Great Plains and the Mountain West were built by industry, made necessary by harsh, sometimes inhospitable climates. Far Westerners are intensely libertarian and deeply distrustful of big institutions, whether they are railroads and monopolies or the federal government.

New France: Former French colonies in and around New Orleans and Quebec tend toward consensus and egalitarian, “among the most liberal on the continent, with unusually tolerant attitudes toward gays and people of all races and a ready acceptance of government involvement in the economy,” Woodard writes.

First Nation: The few First Nation peoples left — Native Americans who never gave up their land to white settlers — are mainly in the harshly Arctic north of Canada and Alaska. They have sovereignty over their lands, but their population is only around 300,000.

The clashes between the 11 nations play out in every way, from politics to social values. Woodard notes that states with the highest rates of violent deaths are in the Deep South, Tidewater and Greater Appalachia, regions that value independence and self-sufficiency. States with lower rates of violent deaths are in Yankeedom, New Netherland and the Midlands, where government intervention is viewed with less skepticism.

States in the Deep South are much more likely to have stand-your-ground laws than states in the northern “nations.” And more than 95 percent of executions in the United States since 1976 happened in the Deep South, Greater Appalachia, Tidewater and the Far West. States in Yankeedom and New Netherland have executed a collective total of just one person.

That doesn’t bode well for gun control advocates, Woodard concludes: “With such sharp regional differences, the idea that the United States would ever reach consensus on any issue having to do with violence seems far-fetched. The cultural gulf between Appalachia and Yankeedom, Deep South and New Netherland is simply too large. But it’s conceivable that some new alliance could form to tip the balance.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...you-live-in/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_1_na

Asshat, gotnolife and HypocriteHowie like this.
  2. HPMikesLazyEYE

HPMikesLazyEYE Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I rep The Midlands every day. Ride or die motherfuckas.

Pussy Tendon and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  3. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Special Needs Typist. Gold

Reputations:
    I'm Yankeedom but I do not want anymore regulations in my life..

Phantom Lord likes this.
  4. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    This map represents culture not politics.

5. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Same here.

6. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    I live smack dab in the middle of FEMA region 5!

[​IMG]

Biff DiBiase and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  7. Stereophonic

Stereophonic Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    New Netherlands....
    That doesnt sound so bad.

8. FosterKitten

FosterKitten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm in the Deep South but would like to live on The Left Coast.

9. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    New Netherlands FTW! :yay:

And living in New France was pretty cool.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  10. sumtexan

sumtexan Consentido de Dios Gold

Reputations:
    El Norte and proud of it!! But, realistically, I live near the conflluence of Deep South and El Norte, I just claim the best one.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    yankeedom
    new Amsterdam?

12. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Used to be in the Deep South but the city I lived in was a Democratic stronghold.

Now I live in Yankeedom but the county I'm living in is 50-50

They want to go Tea Party but they can't work up the balls so they waste their votes on something they strung together & call the "Conservative Party".
    They won't vote Republican.

They're serious as razors- to be a candidate in their party you gotta sign a loyalty oath.
    But it's secret - like the Freemasons.

13. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The midlands for me.

14. Homerj123

Homerj123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    New Netherlands (northern New Joisey).

15. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bring that forum back, I like it

16. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    it's based primarily on politics and voting habits, interesting nonetheless

17. Dave Jones

Dave Jones Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I live in Southern Ontario (Toronto area) so that would be Midlands, but I would say we have more in common with Yankeedom.

18. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I value education and the common good, luckily that's the region I live in.

19. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like to look at the country by this...

[​IMG]

Shortwave98 likes this.
  20. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Midlands in the hiz-ouse!!!![​IMG]