While Howie is on a private plane, Shocking Statistics: gap between the Rich & Poor

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by NotMyBro, Mar 3, 2013.

1. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    While Howard is tweeting pics of him & his crew feasting on dozens of sandwiches and expensive wines and drinks while he's flying on a private jet, it just shows how out of touch he is and how out of touch most Americans are when it comes to income gap between the rich and poor. Check out this video:

[video=youtube;BvEIvQoudOY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEIvQoudOY[/video]

Unbelievable video. This is why this country is breaking apart.

2. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    That's a troubling video, but not necessarily an indictment of the rich or true capitalism and especially not against Howard.

As gross as Howard is in all regards, he did actually "earn" his fortune. And, by that, I mean he is being paid what both he and Sirius XM think is a fair, mutually beneficial amount for his services. We might disagree, but we're not forced to subscribe. So while it's tasteless that Howard shows off his opulence, it's not coming out of our pockets...unless we still choose to subscribe to Sirius.

And I'd say the same for some of the others in the 1%. What I have issue with isn't capitalism or the rich in general, but crony capitalism or corporatism. Where our fucking government is bought by lobbyists and banksters every fucking day. Where a faulty, disastrous system like "too big to fail" is perpetuated by the very same people we vote to represent our best interest.

3. ZevonFan

ZevonFan VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Just my humble opinion, but Howard has "earned" only about five bucks since starting on Sirius :c

4. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Damn straight, just because Howard greased the wheels and got a sweetheart deal (that XM rightly thought was ridiculous and shot down) doesn't mean it made good business sense. It's like saying Rick Wagoner at GM deserved his salary because people bought Buicks; it was still a net loss in the long term.

P.S. you should really try not to seriously respond to Winst in that Scott Ostrosky thread, he doesn't need anymore encouragement with that bullshit.

5. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    BTW, thanks to Dawg for fixing the title. :beer:

6. ZevonFan

ZevonFan VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I peaked in here because I thought it was about Howard's privates.:jj:

7. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's fucking very harsh

8. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    i would like to see a comparison of the costs of corporate welfare vs poor people welfare.

9. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Corporate welfare can keep major companies afloat and actually earn money back. You bail out a car company or a bank and it saves hundreds if not thousands of jobs and keeps a company from collapsing. You pay someone corporate welfare to keep a few hundred jobs around and it is not welfare but an investment. As long as the company doesn't immediately go under you should see a return to society because a handful of middle and upper class jobs are preserved.

Social welfare is the exact opposite. It used to be that welfare was used to float people for a few months while they were actively seeking employment. Or to help out a single mother who fell on hard times and needed support from society to help her keep her kids clothed and fed. Now? Social welfare is almost exclusively used to reward those who refuse to work and create children as welfare babies. What was once a useful tool for society to help those in need for a short time has become a system of dependency and leeching.

You give a company money to keep them afloat and it could get you enormous benefits for society. You keep a company that employs hundreds afloat for a month and then that company pays taxes and employs hundreds of Americans for years beyond that.

You give a welfare queen some money and she'll just keep having children because it means even more money. Then her kids grow up to collect welfare. It's a cycle of poverty that those dependent on welfare refuse to try to break. They get free money and clothing. Then they spend that money on luxury items even. You'd be shocked how many people collecting welfare can afford nice jewelry and the NFL Sunday Ticket.

If studies showed that the majority of welfare money was being spent on people who use it for a short while and then return to the workforce I wouldn't mind. But it is almost entirely used by leeches who want long term free money and benefits from hardworking taxpayers. Personally I couldn't imagine using welfare as I'd feel like a failure and a disgrace. Unless you're on major disability like a crippling accident or you are a single parent who lost your job you shouldn't be relying on free handouts so much. It used to be that people were ashamed to be on welfare. Now there are "welfare carols", to quote Chris Rock.

10. 233monte

233monte New Member Banned User

Reputations:

11. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I have to say, as a libertarian, all forms of welfare are bad in general. However, even the Roman emperor and later medieval kings subsidized loaves of bread for peasants. It's why Marie Antoinette so famously suggested they "eat cake", not realizing that government provided bread kept people from starving. Corporate welfare can be useful in very rare cases, but I was not a fan of the bank bailouts or the GM auto bailout (the Chrylser sale to Fiat made sense IMHO).

What is my point? Howie's salary was a form of corporate welfare; it wasn't illegal, but it was immoral. The shady behind the scenes dealings we only learned of later make it obvious why he chose Sirius over XM and why XM wouldn't pay. He did not earn that salary, and if a John Malone (who is a shady character himself) hadn't wanted it as a tax write off/future asset based on satellites, Howard and Mel would have bankrupted SiriusXM. Failing corporations CAN deserve to be saved, but that doesn't mean the people who ruined them in the first place did their job well, deserved their salary, or should be exonerated for knowingly engaging in unethical business practices. Mel and Howie = Rick Wagoner and the UAW.

12. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's one thing to be rich and talk about it, as much of a douche as people say Mark Cuban is he never denies not being a billionaire and talked about how much money he has made but when he flipped it around on Howard; now all the sudden Howard doesn't talk about money and acts like he is some blue collar hero to common folk when we know he is a rich fake asshole just admit you have money and stop going around talking about how jealous you are of someone who's net worth is 5 million dollars

13. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    He's just a common man, working hard with his hands...

[​IMG]

14. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:

i liked the Cuban interview. and wasn't disgusted that he got a 90k bottle off champagne. It was a good story.

15. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sorry but this is one of the few areas I will defend Hamptons Howie. If any of us had his wealth we'd be doing the same or even worse. When you can buy comfort you will and we all do it to varying degrees. Hell the only problem I even have with his mansion is how fucking ugly it is not that it costs 10s of millions.

In short.... Got that kind of wealth? Spend it any way you want to make your life easier/simpler according to your tastes and desires.

Fuck, looks like I got the happy pot this time and not the mellower

16. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    But that's the hilarious part. Howard has a billion dollars and he's still suing Sirius for more money. And he is miserable at his job working only three days a week ruining his legacy. And he knows that AGT is a complete waste of time but he can't quit and lose face. He's the world's most miserable billionaire.

What kind of billionaire wastes this much time on failed projects? Most billionaires buy a nice toy like an NFL team or a block of buildings in NYC or a giant yacht. Howard owns a giant mansions and spends his time entertaining a few hundred thousand people on Sirius and AGT. It's like Howard has no direction or purpose in life with all of that money so he gets involved in these half-assed projects like AGT or remaking Rock and Roll High School or Porky's.

If Howard wasn't working I wouldn't blame him. Take your money and relax. But he spends his time on failed reality TV shows and propping up his gold digger wife. What a loser.

17. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It is what he wants though. Its fucking stupid to us but to him its his desire to be famous and in the spotlight. He was/is essentially a wackpacker with a marketable talent.

18. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:

Great post, but Marie Antoinette never actually said, "Let them eat cake." It's a myth that nobody wants to deal with.

The quote comes from Jean-Jacques Rousseau's "Confessions," which was written when Marie Antoinette was a child. And there's evidence that he was citing a quote written a century earlier.

19. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I did not know that, thanks for that. I guess that's what I get for studying ancient and early medieval history in college while not taking anything related to the Enlightenment.

20. NoddinOff

NoddinOff New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Yeah Im about tired of hearing howard saying things like "what you make like 3-5 million per movie? Man Im in the wrong business how do I sign up for that gig", its like shut the fuck up man theres not one consistent listener that doesn't know how filthy rich he is.