News White house fence jumper shot dead in court after attacking deputy

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Slow, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Man killed at Chesco Justice Center after knife attack

[​IMG]

JUSTINE MCDANIEL AND MICHAELLE BOND, INQUIRER STAFF WRITERSThe Coatesville man arrested in March for climbing over a White House wall was shot and killed by a deputy sheriff at the Chester County Justice Center in West Chester on Tuesday after he went in wielding a knife and slashed another deputy sheriff, police said.

Curtis Smith, 34, of Coatesville walked into the Justice Center on Market Street shortly before noon, pulled out a knife at the security entrance and slashed a deputy sheriff in his hand and arm, police said.

Another deputy sheriff then shot Smith.

Smith was taken to Paoli Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said. The deputy sheriff was taken to Chester County Hospital and flown to a trauma unit. He is listed in stable condition.

The Justice Center went into lockdown for about two hours, and employees said they were released via a back exit.

"The sheriffs did their jobs," Tom Hogan, Chester County district attorney, said Tuesday afternoon. "The lockdown went perfectly."

Sarah Finnaren, of West Chester, was inside the Justice Center visiting former coworkers during the lockdown. She wears a hearing aid and thought she heard breaking glass.

The people around her knew they heard gunshots and locked the doors to Suite 1307, a district court office.

Finnaren and the employees with her saw police and emergency medical services personnel arriving. They called a business across the street and asked workers there for information.

Finnaren called the ordeal "scary."

"I'm still trying to calm down," she said, a few hours after the shooting.

Carly Scott, a server at the Lunchbox Cafe, across the street from the Justice Center, said the restaurant's owner heard two or three gunshots while he was outside loading food in his car around 11. He went inside and told Scott and the other workers.

"I was like, 'Are you serious?' " Scott, 19, said.

She looked out the restaurant's windows and saw about 10 police cars blocking off Market Street in each direction, she said.

Then, she saw two people being wheeled out on stretchers, one of whom was sitting up and appeared to be wearing a blue police shirt, she said.

Michele Hoban, 19, a sophomore at West Chester University, was walking home from class with two friends. They live above the Lunchbox Cafe and got a text from their roommate at home.

They thought their roommate was joking until they saw the police activity for themselves.

"I thought it was such a safe area," Hoban said.

Four police officers stood at the doors of the Justice Center after the incident.

There was no answer at Smith's house in Coatesville on Tuesday afternoon. Orange flowers bloomed next to the driveway. A welcome sign hung on the front door, and cushioned patio furniture sat outside.

Neighbors sitting outside on Smith's street said he was a good man and has two children.

Across the street from Smith's house, Jen Spadaro said she was shocked by the news.

"He was always a good neighbor," she said. "When I was pregnant and by myself he was always shoveling my car."

She said it was a close-knit neighborhood, with about 15 kids on the block. Smith, she said, was always doing things for others and playing with the kids.

A few teenage boys outside said they often trained with Smith in running and boxing.

"He was like the dad of the neighborhood," Spadaro said. "He will be missed around here. He took care of everyone."

Smith was arrested on March 1 by the Secret Service after he climbed over a stone wall at the White House at a vehicle entry point and began walking across the grounds.

Smith told officers he had driven to the White House to deliver a message to the president, according to the charging papers. He was charged with unlawful entry, a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in prison and/or a $1,000 fine.

He was released from custody in April under a deferred prosecution agreement and was scheduled for a status hearing in October. He was ordered to report weekly by phone.

Under the terms of his release, he was ordered to stay away from the White House complex.

Smith's attorney after the White House incident, Martin Rosendorf, said Smith had no prior convictions and did not seem to have any mental health issues, noting that he saw two judges who each let him walk out of the courtroom.

Smith worked as a truck driver for the propane company AmeriGas from the end of January until April 1, a company spokeswoman said.

mbond@philly.com

610-313-8207 @MichaelleBond

Inquirer staff writer Jonathan Tamari contributed to this article.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2..._courthouse_shooting.html#7a30MldrmdghqEfF.99

check1, sstressed and PI Nate like this.
  2. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Hopefully he hadn't already paid his tuition for the fall semester.

3. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
  4. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    doesnt seem to be anything wrong here.

5. Slow

Reputations:
    he didn't have a gun though. protests are soon to follow and a likely honoring with a children's center named after him.

[​IMG]

TheJackiePuppet and kingship like this.
  6. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    he didn't have to have a gun: he attacked someone with a knife intentionally inflicting injury. assault with a deadly weapon with a demonstrated intent to cause bodily harm, is sufficient cause. cops are not required to retreat as are civilians in such situations. the officer seems to have acted appropriately.

7. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What was the race of the sheriff who shot him?

kingship and Slow like this.
  8. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No loss. Only gain.

kingship likes this.
  9. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    How long before he becomes a hero of the ghetto community and we have protests?

10. Slow

Reputations:
    i'm glad someone is asking the important questions

11. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I wonder if someone named Ahkmed would also be released without sentencing if he tried to break into the White House?

Who is driving this clown car of a country?

TheSurvivingJesusTwin likes this.
  12. hoochieking

hoochieking Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :jj:

13. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    Didn't we recently have another court assault story? How do they get weapons in? I assume the knife was metal and sizable.

14. Tyler9258

Tyler9258 Old friends, old whiskey, old songs

Reputations:
    He was a good boy... He dindu nuffin

15. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
  16. RumBalls

RumBalls The original RumBalls, est. Jan 16, 2012

Reputations:
    #blackfencejumperlivesmatter

kingship likes this.
  17. kingship

kingship Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    THIS is the important question for the race pimps, Sharpton, et al.

18. quitefrankly

quitefrankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    if Obama had a son

Lucky Pierre likes this.
  19. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What if.... his brain was taken over by someone/something else and that evil spirit did the actual attack?

That’s what happened to Jack Torrance at the Overlook Hotel so it's not like it hasn't happened before.

20. Domo Cup

Domo Cup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How long until the lawsuit is filed?