News White makes you a winner pills provokes race storm

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Jan 8, 2016.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thai skin whitening ad provokes race storm
    By AFP

[​IMG]
    PHOTO: CHANNELNEWSASIA

BANGKOK: A Thai company pulled an advert for skin lightening pills on Friday following outcry on social media over a product sold with the tagline “white makes you a winner”.

It is the latest marketing gaffe to draw accusations of racism in a kingdom obsessed with skin colour.

The advertisement for Seoul Secret’s ‘snowz’ supplement pills featured a veteran Thai celebrity attributing her professional success to her pale complexion.

“It’s not easy to stay at this point for a long time,” the 35-year-old Thai model and actress, Cris Horwang, says in the video.

“If I stopped taking care of my body and white complexion, all that I have invested will be gone.”

The model is then shown in black make-up, casting an envious look at a second woman with light skin who appears by her side.

“A newcomer will replace me and turn me into a dark star,” she says in the video, using a Thai idiom to refer to her fame fading.

Whitening creams and pills are wildly popular in Thailand, where pale skin is upheld as the standard of beauty in the media and among many Thais who comment freely on the complexion of others.

Advertisements for the products are standard fare on billboards and TV spots, but some companies have faced a backlash in recent years for going too far.

Before its removal on Friday afternoon, the Seoul Secret video received more than 100,000 views on YouTube, as well as enquiries on the company’s Facebook page about how to order the product.

But other social media sites drew posts railing against the advert for being racially offensive and reinforcing the country’s narrow beauty ideals.

“It indicates that dark skin people are losers, and this is clearly racist,” a Thai commentator named Tammaijang wrote on the web forum Pantip.

Another post said: “Having dark skin can be beautiful — without being ashamed as well.”

There was also speculation that the advertisement was intentionally provocative as part of a marketing ploy to grab attention.

“I don’t think the ad agency made this ad out of ignorance,” a prominent Thai culture blogger, called Kaewmala on her thaiwomantalks.com website, told AFP.

“They haven’t been living on the moon, I’m certain they knew it would be controversial… It was most likely a calculated strategy, which in my view makes it even more objectionable.”

While there has been a growing awar

2. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    I fucking love Thai food don't I

chapped likes this.
  3. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    that is the rumor...

if only their food was as good as their massages

4. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I've heard white women with round eyes are considered beautiful....others...not so much

or so "they" say...

whoever the fuck "they" are.

Shortwave98 likes this.
  5. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A real white woman is the "jewel in the crown" to most males in the world.

6. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    many thai women were very jealous/envious of pretty white girls. most had never seen one in person but wanted to be lighter skinned and have bigger boobs. some of these thai women were stunning. i worked on my soon to be wife for a couple months, and she stood me up twice before she finally went out with me. i married her to pay her back for standing me up! :mad:

kind of funny that they would be jealous of women not nearly as fine.

PI Nate likes this.