Who knew Ebay could be so lucrative?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    eBay millionaires: The secrets of the biggest online sellers revealed

The first power list of eBay sellers shows they have some surprising things in common. Here's who they are, and how you can follow in their footsteps

Getty [​IMG]
    Auctioning your way to riches
    The first-ever eBay 'rich list' has been published - and reveals that Britain's top sellers are raking in up to £17MILLION a year trading on the site.

The 'Power 30 UK Index' ranks the site's biggest 30 independent sellers and reveals they have an average annual turnover of nearly £4million.

You can find out how to get started selling on eBay here.

Nearly one in four sellers on the power list deal in electrical goods.

Four of the best sellers are fishing shops, with motoring related sellers claiming another four premier spots and fancy dress vendors taking three.

The huge figures reveal how eBay has inspired a new generation of entrepreneurs who have built money-spinning businesses out of the online marketplace.

eBay sellers making it big
    ElectronicsCars, motorbikes and bikesFishingFancy dress012345678Number in power list
    The Power 30 UK Index was compiled by www.NetVoucherCodes.co.uk using data from the eBay analysis tool Terapeak .

Top of the list is Chinedu 'Ken' Emechebe, 37, who sells mobile phone accessories under the name ' universalgadgets01 '.

He has turned his bedroom trading hobby into a business with sales of over £15million a year and employs around 45 people to help with eBay sales.

The father-of-two said: "I think the great thing about eBay is just from day one the ease of selling makes it great for small businesses.

"On eBay everything is set up for you. Yes you pay your fees, but you would have to pay for advertising costs if you went on Google.

"eBay sets you up, it has millions of people who come on to the website every day, and all these people who are on there are looking for products and deals."

There are more than 200,000 UK business selling on eBay, plus millions of private sellers, generating an estimated £6billion of sales in the UK every year.

Start selling

[​IMG]
    Start in your spare room and dream big
    There's nothing like experience to turn you into a savvy eBay seller. Here's our guide on how to get started, from signing up to making your listing shine.

You may find your first listing falls flat. Here's our tips on making more money on each sale, whether that's calculating fees or timing your auction right.

Confused about eBay fees? We've got an at-a-glance guide here.

And if you want inspiration, check out the story of this small town mum who created a business on eBay turning over £500,000 a year and the family who turned old clothes into a £1.5million business here.

'We understand what people on eBay want'

[​IMG]
    Universal Gadgets - top of the eBay power list
    Top of the list, universalgadgets01 has been selling on eBay since 2008 and has monthly sales of £1,477,644.63

The company sells gadgets like mobile phone accessories and cables.

Mr Emechebe starting his company in the spare room of his two-bed London flat.

Since then he has been forced to relocate three more times due to his growing company, and now works out of a 1,200sq ft warehouse.

He sells around 2,500 items a day on eBay, with most coming direct from factories around the world.

Among his most popular items are the iPhone 5, ethernet cables and headphones.

He said: "We outgrew the house and moved into our first warehouse about a year and a half after starting the business and at the moment we are in our fourth warehouse.

"We have just grown since then.

"[I think we are number one because] we have been doing this for a while and we understand the market.

"We understand what most people on eBay want. Customer service is number one and we have to keep the customer happy.

"People buy from us because of the range of products we have.

"We try to make sure we are always there, are easily reachable and people can call us to ask us any questions.

"We are very competitive and everything we sell we get from source.

"Customers want to buy from a seller that they know they are going to get the item and without hassle."

Second in the list is electronics shop Babz - which has monthly sales of £1,427,534.13.

Third is entertainment seller estocks, which sells almost a million pounds worth of gadgets a month.

The figures were compiled from eBay's internal market research tool Terapeak using a one-month snapshop of sales on ebay.co.uk between May 5 and June 5 this year.

Top 10 eBay sellers
    (based on monthly sales between May and June)

[​IMG]

2. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    Watch out for idiots... I was just selling a new pair of Nikes on eBay and had a guy e-mail me offering to pay the starting bid on paypal if I end the auction. Trying to encourage him to make a bid, I told him I doubt many people would bid on the shoes - put in a $60 bid and if it wins, I will get the shoes out to you the following day. I knew there was a lot of views on the shoes and 20 or so people watching it, so I wasn't going to let them go for my starting bid. The final night of my auction the shoes run up to almost double the price with three people getting into a bidding war at the end. I check the winner of the auction and its the guy I had email correspondence with. He sends me a new message "OK, so send me the invoice for $60". This motherfucker outbid everyone and then demanded the shoes at the starting bid :facepalm: He tells me "you aren't going to send the shoes for 60, man, you're not an honest guy".. Fucking scumbag cost me $$, the second place guy now decides he doesn't want to pay his top bid. I had to start the fucking auction all over again.

3. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck Ebay, my brother used to sell ebay, phone accessories back in the day. he had a pretty good business going, but the Chinese from hong kong have cheaper postage rates to the USA than people living in the USA. So even if you sell something for .01 you still can't be cheaper. Add in paypal and packaging, et. It was a race to the bottom. Plus all the listing fees back in the day. It was a real headache.

4. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I always sell using Buy It Now immediate payment required. It might cost me a few dollars in getting higher bids but when the item is bought it's paid for. I just had my first return claiming the item was defective. That was after a couple of hundred transactions over many years. The problem with auctions is there are many prankster bidders who just like to sabotage sales. After their account gets closed they just create another User ID. I have also saved countless dollars buying stuff on eBay. I think eBay along with PayPal are two of the best Internet success stories. There is no logical reason why eBay should have succeeded. You are going to send your money to stranger and hope they send you the item. In it's early days when you bought an item you would send the seller a check. He would wait till the check cleared before sending you what you bought. People got burned. This was before PayPal and credit cards became what most people used. Or if you were a seller and you took credit cards you would get chargebacks much later and have no recourse. Now eBay pretty much guarantees every buyer's transaction.

5. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    China, Malaysia and Vietnam are working overtime to product all the cheap crap that sells well on ebay.

smichal likes this.
  6. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    fuck ebay use mercari instead, no fees, at all, they also have a discount shipping deal with fedex so u can ship any weight package for $15 (yeah 100lbs even!) easy listings from ur phone and they even sell discounted shipping supplies

7. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    Have sold some camera gear on ebay, big fan, big fan.

RobotsVsMonsters likes this.
  8. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Never heard of that one ... I have bought some things off IOffer ....

http://www.ioffer.com/

9. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    ioffer is FULL of counterfeit stuff be careful. i bought a X-files DVD box set off ther years ago and it came with chinese writing and "chinglesh" all over it, some of the dvds didnt work at all and all the special features had been excluded

10. quitefrankly

quitefrankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    love ebay never had any problems have sold classic cars motorcycles Harley parts etc

and have bought lots of stuff thru the years. but not from over seas they have a united states filter

11. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I used to buy a shitload of Rickenbacker basses on ebay. Some to keep and some to flip. It's rare to find a decent deal nowadays. :bigcry:

12. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    you could sell used stuff on there? I have some dress shirts & shoes I was gonna throw up on ebay, ill try this site instead.

13. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    yeah, its an app not a site tho, afaik it only works on the phone , one of my friends is making a killing on there

scoobyla and broccoli rob like this.
  14. Bosch76

Bosch76 2016 Politics POTY Gold

Reputations:
    Thats why you dont do auctions. buy it now with a best offer.

broccoli rob likes this.
  15. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I always start out with the auction format, then switch to buy it now if it doesn't sell. It's surprising how much some junk that has no value to you will sell for. Last year I put an item of vintage clothing and some collectible baseballs on sale. I listed each with a starting bid of around $50 (because I would have been happy with making that amount) and immediately started getting inquiries asking if I would take a "buy it now offer". I decided to wait to see how the auction played out and each item ended up selling for over $200.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  16. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:

I had a similar situation, I was bidding on some high end luggage----I won one, lost the other,(same seller) then the person who won the 2nd auction backed out, so now I have to contact the seller, and look like a douche, because I didn't need two similar items. She was cool, but there are a lot of dopes out there. All things considered, I'm happy with Ebay

17. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    I bought a 2003 Fender Strat (mim) for $203!!

I was really happy about that deal. The seller had the bidding end on a Tuesday morning! I slipped in my bid a minute prior and won it.

Also got a KILLER buy on a Dean bass. $75! The kid loves it.

18. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    u can buy a new mexi strat for $300 prob less during a sale

19. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    No you cant. They are $599 new. $212 after shipping was a great deal. It was a case queen. Never played.

The one I got is an HSS config.

20. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    is he selling shit through a dropshipping manufacturer/wholesaler? I wanted to do that with eBay but I've had trouble finding a good connect that will allow me to be competitive with the super low prices some stores already offer.

I figured it would be easy to open an eBay store for womens designer bags/glasses/wallets since broads are always shopping online.. but despite going through a ton of wholesalers, I couldn't find one where I could compete with the prices already on ebay. low as fuck.