Why are you going to work high?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stoners on the job: Nearly 10% of Americans go to work high

Showing up to work high? You're not alone.

A new report has found nearly 1 in 10 Americans are showing up to work high on marijuana. Mashable.com conducted the survey in partnership with SurveyMonkey, and found 9.7 percent of Americans fessed up to smoking cannabis before showing up to the office.

The data analyzed the marijuana and prescription drug habits of 534 Americans. What's more, nearly 81 percent said they scored their cannabis illegally, according to the survey.

Read MoreA gallery of medicinal marijuana

Cannabis and the workplace seem quite linked lately. Entrepreneur and venture capitalist Peter Thiel recently chimed in on marijuana and work. While criticizing Twitter during an appearance on CNBC Wednesday, Thiel said Twitter is a "… horribly mismanaged company—probably a lot of pot smoking going on there."

Read More'Probably a lot of pot-smoking' at Twitter: Thiel

<p>Twitter 'horribly mismanaged': Thiel</p> <p>Peter Thiel, PayPal co-founder, provides his play on social media company Twitter.</p>

Blurred lines for employers
    According to separate data from Employers, a small-business insurance company, 10 percent of small businesses reported that employees showed up in 2013 under the influence of at least one controlled substance, with marijuana coming in at 5.1 percent.

Marijuana sales overall are taking off as recreational use of cannabis is legal in Colorado and Washington state, and pot can be purchased for medicinal use in 23 states and Washington, D.C.

So what's an employer to do?

Companies have different strategies and opinions on testing. But the vast majority of U.S. employers aren't required to test for drugs. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, many state and local governments have statutes that "limit or prohibit workplace testing, unless required by state or Federal regulations for certain jobs."

Private employers, for the most part, can test for a wide variety of substances, according to the Labor Department.

Smaller businesses, meanwhile, with limited resources to test employees are in the early stages of figuring out next steps. Even in places like Colorado where recreational cannabis use is legal, employers are trying to strike a balance between respecting the law and establishing clear workplace rules.

Christopher Myers, co-founder of BodeTree, a 15-employee start-up based in Denver, says he has yet to create a policy strictly for marijuana use in the workplace.

As an online service that helps small businesses manage and understand their finances, BodeTree has to comply with financial institutions' policies for protecting client data. Myers said there's a zero tolerance policy when it comes to substance use on the job.

"It's an interesting balance, because we need a policy that is compliant with federal and state law," he said. "And we are respectful of those laws. But we don't want someone showing up to work drunk, on Vicodin or high on marijuana."

For now, Myers isn't performing spot testing for marijuana consumption on employees.

"The testing technology in Denver will detect if you have been using marijuana in the past 30 days," he said. "From a policy point of view, no one knows how to handle it."

More drug testing?
    Curtis Graves, staff attorney at Mountain States Employers Council in Colorado, says there has been somewhat of a spike in employer drug testing since pot was legalized in 2013, but this is a nationwide trend.

"In Colorado, there was interest in having new drug policies, and adding language to existing policies so that workers know regardless of legalization, they can't use on or off duty at work," Graves said.

If workers test positive in Colorado, while on duty at work, they can be terminated for cause, Graves said.

For now, Myers of BodeTree says he hasn't had any issues with on-site marijuana usage, and hasn't decided yet if he will be changing his policy.

"We are keenly observing the landscape right now—it will be an interesting couple of years across the country, if you look state-by-state, the momentum is toward legalization right now. It's inevitable, so just like with any human resources issue or company policy, it's never cut and dry," Myers says. "It will take employers time to figure out the right path."

smichal, 1Vegasgirl and sstressed like this.
  2. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Step into my office because you're fucking fired.

Ingens, smichal, 1Vegasgirl and 3 others like this.
  3. Big Bad Booey

Big Bad Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. Gusbuss

Gusbuss VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Better than drunk. At least you can think clearly with pot.

Psyche and sstressed like this.
  5. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    I think it's a lot more than 10% based on my daily interactions with different workers.

jlightningzz, Psyche, smichal and 4 others like this.
  6. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Never seen one episode, but I can summarize:

Wacky guy solves unsolvable medical challenges and bounces back smartly at the end of each episode. Basically, it's Gilligan's Island inside a hospital, only without the gorilla throwing grenades.

Rockside7 likes this.
  7. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Because I love hash oil and Quaaludes.
    :bigcry:

smichal, 1Vegasgirl and sstressed like this.
  8. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    It's a gateway drug.

Stern68 likes this.
  9. UncaDollas

UncaDollas Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Versus the 90 % of unemployed people who are high all the time.

10. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    after i got out of the military, i never smoked before going to work or during lunch.
    about a month before i retired, i said fuck it and got buzzed with a friend at lunch. the rest of the day was so nice and mellow.

i'm such a schmuck for not doing it whenever it was a light day. i always had ounces of it hanging around.

not stoned, just lightly buzzed. like after a couple glasses of vino and a blow job.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  11. Humongous

Humongous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Work is not the place to get high or drunk. Work is what drives you get high or drunk later.

12. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...the other 90% are working at 60% efficiency because theyre alcohol hung over.

AmishGirl and TheWonk like this.
  13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I knew a guy who got high at work every day. He was my boss at my first job out of college. Had a good time, laughed a lot, obviously. Fun to work for. But everyone with any sense knew he was high. He brazenly would take lunches with federal agents we dealt with and wreak of it. The big joke was he was "headed to lunch" and would just never come back, every day. Because that's when he lit up.

He was out on his ass from that job a decade later, having run the thing into the dirt, miraculously had connections to get hired to run a small restaurant chain, ran that out of business, and was divorced and quasi homeless in his 60's last I heard. Because when you're high you just don't feel like dealing with all that little shit it takes to keep a small business running well. Being uptight and a hard ass is necessary sometimes and he couldn't do it. He hired me to do it for him, (calling me his "no" man, meaning I could say no to people he couldn't say no to, but when I left he was SOL. He coasted on good will and reputation for a few years, but couldn't keep it up.

Work is not where you need to be getting high, unless you are sitting outside carving figurines or building rustic furniture you sell at flea markets or something.

14. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    That's sounds nightmarish to constantly be like that.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  15. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    This. Every stoner thinks they're so clever and function perfectly fine, while every straight person knows exactly what they're up to and knows their work is shit.

16. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    I just get my head right, not high, before work.

Ashbeard likes this.
  17. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    10%? jump that shit to like 70% everyone is fucking high on the job and that's scary. do that shit at home no one's gonna care but if yer drivin around high or dealing with the public and your buzz can interfere with the safety of normal people, that's beyond fucked up.

sstressed likes this.
  18. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i wrote and administered contracts. trust me, if any of my employees got high at lunch, i would have warned them once and then out the door.

that being said, looking back on it, on easy days when nothing was going on except endless, meaningless meetings, i would have loved to pop a couple cannabis capsules and just smiled and nodded.

jlightningzz and Mr Fantastic like this.
  19. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I must be a freak because I've never been motivated to get drunk or high at or before work.

smichal and Reggae Mistress like this.
  20. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's a shame the head you're born with doesn't function the way you'd like:duhme:

1Vegasgirl likes this.