Why do we listen?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Motoflou, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Motoflou

Motoflou New Member

Reputations:
    Are we really all SO bored? Because this is not a quality radio show. :shmoop:

I've finally gotten to the point where I only listen to Stern Show Shuffle, and...I listened to O&A yesterday, and...

I laughed.

So why do we listen? Is it because there's nothing better than a good train wreck?

2. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i envy anyone who can get a few moments of entertainment from The Howard Stern Show as we know it now

3. darthnilus

darthnilus New Member

Reputations:
    I listen because I've listened on and off since 1995, and it's hard to beleive this is the same show. I have probably only listened to an hour of the show this year though. The AGT talk, robin's bullshit, and the 3 days a week. I'm finding better stuff on sirius now.

4. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    This place is kind of like a funeral home. We come in, view the body, and then console each other for our loss whilst reminding ourselves of the happier times.

5. palominO

palominO New Member

Reputations:
    With AGT references every 5 minutes it has become impossible..so I don't.

6. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    I still listen. I still find it fun. ETM needs to be in the Artie Chair.

7. Dabadass

Dabadass Member

Reputations:
    I guess I listen hoping to hear something funny. I don't mind when I miss the show though.

8. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.I rarely listen anymore, but I do tune in from time to time and usually turn it with 5 minutes out if boredom. I've been listening for so long I can see the end in sight. I just want to be around when it ends. Kind of like Lost, it got bad last few seasons, but had to stick it out till the end. I do think Beth will divorce Howard before the contract is up, and I want to be around to hear all that fun...if he even makes it to the end of his contract.

9. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    From the early 90's I was listening religiously. I went to great lengths to hear the show. When I was in an area that didn't carry Howard for a bit, I had a friend who taped the shows, edited out the commercials and sent them to me each month. Once the "revolution" began, the first 6-7 months were fantastic, then it started to go into the shitter. I hung in for the entire first contract, even though I found myself listening less and less and getting more and more pissed off at what I was hearing. Finally cancelled at the end of the first contract. Why'd I keep listening for four years of shitty radio? Probably because I'm like the guy who goes to the ballpark to see the aging power hitter, just hoping he'll drive one deep ito the cheap seats, even though he's batting barely .200. Problem is, you eventually have to just accept that you're wasting your time waiting for that one long drive, and pack it in.

10. Carter Burke

Carter Burke New Member

Reputations:
    Habit. Echoes of memories that once ment something to me. High school, college. The salad days. When the show was funny, their opinions mattered to me. The time when I'd want to hear Stern's take on current events.

Now it's just there. If I'm around the radio, I'll turn it on. Not hoping for anything and getting nothing. Unless I'm too bored or lazy to turn it off, I rarely get through an hour at this point. And when I leave it on...I couldn't tell you what was said...

11. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    I still listen. Not for the movie archetype "to see what he says next", but simply because it's the only comedy-related show I find consistently entertaining, and I've been listening forever. There is a huge amount of monotony now, for sure, and I wish Robin would shut the hell up and that they'd bring in someone funny again, but there are still enough nuggets of fun that make it worth my while. Appearances like Rachel Butera and Lisa Lampanelli are bright spots (in my opinion) and Howard is still capable of a witty insight or quick repartee when he's motivated (and not merely watching the clock for the next break as has become the norm). And honestly folks, I've just finished the 1/10/12 show, and so far AGT talk has NOT yet taken over the show. It's covered, but it does not overwhelm the 3-4 hours. (Robin and commercials, on the other hand...)

12. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Part of the reason for my continued listening is that the other choices on the dial aren't too hot. Friends have recommended O&A and Ron & Fez. I've listened. Maybe I need to give them more time. Plus, I have this misplaced thought that Artie might someday return.

13. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I guess I just like seeing things through until the end

14. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    To find things to make fun of on the message board :)

15. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Habit, routine, and The Listening Thread. That and the good people in there that I've shared it with for years. Good, bad, and worse.

16. banksy

banksy You wrote "I love you" in lipstick on the mirror VIP

Reputations:
    There are still funny moments, they're just few and far between. The stern song submissions were good. His take on Peirs Morgan was funny. I tried OnA... They both sound whiny and nasally. Which is a shame because they have better guests and Norton is great. Unless you go to political or sports talk, Stern is still the only game in town as far as I'm concerned.

17. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What station is Ron and fez on ?

18. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When an athlete or entertainer achieved past greatness in their careers, I think some of us still watch hoping to see one more flash before it's over for good because we have that previous standard etched in our memory. I also don't discount the "trainwreck" factor either. I actually love shouting out at the radio sometimes when his "doucheness" becomes too much. That being said, I'd like to thank Howard for helping me discover some great music on the other SIRIUS channels. I've cut my listening time down by probably 60%.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  19. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Because i love to hear howard bitch on a daily basis (2 or 3 days depending on the week) how he cant get lentil soup or brown rice for lunch at 8:30 am.

God forbid his personal chef send him to work with lunch that is catered just to his liking.

20. banksy

banksy You wrote "I love you" in lipstick on the mirror VIP

Reputations:
    The virus, afternoons. Heard them twice - horrible.