WHY HOWARD REALLY HATES JAY LENO

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ta Ta Toothy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just finished reading a book entitled "Backstage at the Tonight Show" by Don Sweeny. Sweeny had worked for The Tonight Show for 17 years with Carson and around 3 years after that when Leno took over. Anyway, he gives an interesting insiders look at one of Stern's later appearances. Sorry about the length, but it's worth the read.

"Months after Helen Kushnick was no longer with the show, Howard Stern was invited back as a guest. With Kushnick no longer calling the shots, Jay had to deal with Howard in his own way. Howard was touring the country and visiting all the talk shows that would have him. He was plugging his book Private Parts. His book was selling like none before, so he really didn't have to appear anywhere, but he was making headlines and was seen on the national news when near riots broke out among the 20,000 or more fans who showed up at the book signings. It was being equated to when "Beatlemania" happened in the '60s.

Why do the media always try to compare things to the success of the Beatles? Howard's book was a huge success, but it was nothing close to the phenomenon of the Beatles. Forty years later we are still talking about the Beatles. Ten years since Stern's book, people are saying "What book?" [insert Jackie laugh here]

Jay knew he had to have Stern on or he would look like a wimp. Howard would soon be on his radio show badmouthing Jay. The "nicest guy in show business" could not have that happen. This time, Jay was more confident in his hosting chair. Jay's ratings had improved and he was occasionally beating out Letterman and Koppel. Jay decided not to let Howard get the upper hand.

Jay let Howard have his say, but would not let him get away with fabricating conversations. Howard loved to make things up that Jay supposedly said backstage that were completely true. I guess Howard simply fabricated stories to make the interview more edgy. Each time Howard tried this tactic, Jay stepped on his fingers. After a while, Jay was attacking Howard. Stern was caught completely off guard and even repeatedly asked what had gotten into Jay. He asked Jay why he was being so mean to him. Jay wasn't being mean. He was fighting back. And he was fighting back in the best way he knew how, through his comedy.

He outwitted Howard Stern that night. When the show was over, Howard didn't even stick around while the closing credits rolled. Howard made a "B" line for his limo and was out of there before the closing theme was over.

My office was just down the hall from Jay's dressing room and I heard some voices immediately after the show. I looked out to see who it was and saw Jay surrounded by several of his writers. Jay was telling them, "Did you see that? I beat him. Howard didn't know what hit him. He left without saying good-bye." One of the writers said, "Howard ran down the hallway and out of the building! You scared him off." Jay was almost giddy like a little kid who finally slew the dragon that had been appearing in his nightmares. It was a fascinating sight to see."

My memories of why Howard hates Jay have become fuzzy through the years. I always thought it was because Jay gave him shit for bringing strippers on the show. Of course that may just be Howard's version of events that I'm remembering. I'm not sure anymore.

Oh, and if your thinking about buying this book don't bother. It's not a particularly interesting read. The author doesn't really dish the dirt on anybody, therefore the most interesting stories remain untold. His tales of celebrity encounters in the Green Room don't really have any payoff and often go nowhere. And how do you write an insiders look into the Tonight Show and not even touch the subject on how pissed Johnny was when Joan Rivers signed to do her own talk show against him? He did apparently really like Carson and Leno as people and employers from what I gather.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Can you post that particular show?

BeerCanThick and ARM like this.
  3. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I buy this as the reason. Howard is completely thrown off his game if he's not allowed to do a hostile takeover of the host's show, showing everyone what a bad boy he is. Bill O'Reilly outwitted him and beat him at his own game when he interviewed him about moving to Sirius, and Howard was reduced to variations of "Do you want me to come over there and smack you around?" We've been hearing "We'll do it live, fuck it!" and "Jack Mayhoffer" jabs at Bill ever since.

By the way, I've never believed that the name Jack Mayhoffer was a prank name just to get Bill to say "jack me off." (And if it was, it's the least-clever, least-funny prank name ever.)

4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I thought they had their falling out over John leaving to do Jay's show. Howard didn't want to pay John but Jay did. Howard was mad that they would "steal" one of his guys.

peterfonda, ARM and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  5. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you watch every one of Howard's talk show appearances, they are all scripted. Maybe not scripted out that he is actually reciting lines, but he has everything planned out and can't deviate from the plan. That is why he dominates the interview and trie to make the host irrelevant. I don't know if Howard can keep up with a host that fires back without someone feeding him lines through an ear piece.

I can't remember an appearance where Jay got the the best of Howard, but I can see Howard being pissed off if Jay did.

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    BTW, I don't know if I believe this exerpt from the book. It claims Howard was making up conversations with Jay and we all know Howard is the most honest man in entertainment and everything he speaks it the truth.

Next thing you are going to tell me that Howard didn't have an overwhelming urge to call Robin Williams and apologize to him on the day he committed suicide.... Or I mean he mentioned it to his shrink a few days before. I forget which one is the truth this week.

7. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Howard can dish it out but never could take it

"I PRANK... NO ONE ELSE !!!"

8. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    howard (while occasionally witty) isn't as quick on his feet as i always thought. he has to take control of every conversation.

9. underbocky

underbocky Active Member

Reputations:
  10. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why else would he put a gag order on O&A when they were at Infinity?

11. Wainegro

Wainegro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "I CAN FUCK TOO!!!" "I CAN FUCK!"

Barry Soetoro, ARM and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  12. MiamiInk

MiamiInk Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Painful to watch looking back now, what a douche

ltd86 and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  13. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Story doesn't check out. He had Jay on as a guest many times after that, even a couple months on the phone before the John thing came out. Always kissed his ass and said what a brilliant stand-up he was, etc.

To Jay's credit, he always seemed mildly irritated but tolerant of Stern.

Trainwreckjm likes this.
  14. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    this is a great thread and all true IMHO.

BTW, this is another reason why Hmus hated "The Night Shift" movie, because it demonized Helen Kuschnik.

Mr Fantastic and ARM like this.
  15. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Howard is also extremely jealous of Jay, he's well liked, enjoys his life, treated his employees well and never felt the need to gouge his employers for every last nickel in contract negotiations.

16. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    It's honestly a better story if he's just throwing a hissy fit because he "stole" one of "his guys" (instead of ya know, giving one of your underpaid underlings who's supposed to be your friend an actual living).

A. Genius and TallTyrion like this.
  17. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    This. I always thought that Hmus would never match the kind of money that Jay gave SJ, but somehow Hmus has to approve the move? Fuck that. If I get a new job, my boss gets a 2 week notice.

Scarlett Ohara, ARM and A. Genius like this.
  18. Goodfella

Goodfella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Really bad hair. No way that is a wig.

19. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Jay is a whacko in his own way. But Jay was actually REALLY FUNNY back before he took the pay raise and demoted his comedy by hosting TTS. He is also much better live and with a camera on him. The fact of the matter is that Howard's television and movie persona is painful and awkward. He comes across as domineering and thin-skinned. He is definitely a radio personality. I found it hard to even watch the E-Show, and that other piece of garbage that was one for a year or two (Late Night with Stern, or whatever) was absolutely unwatchable.

20. hoochieking

hoochieking Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lol, that never happened. Hate stern all you want now but give credit where credit is due Howard killed on all his talk show appearances.

elkhnd likes this.