Why is the billy west era considered the "golden age"?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Hateman, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hateman

Hateman Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I don't understand it. Billy was talented and funny, but Jackie is still hacky. Robin was even more annoying, and the jokes weren't that funny.

2. Joe Mamaw

Joe Mamaw New Member

Reputations:
    alot of reasons, and Jackie being hacky is one main reasons he was so great on the show, and hack or not the jokes he handed Howard were 1,000,000x funnier than the shit Benjy writes
    just curious when did you start listening? why exactly do you think Robin was more annoying?

3. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    Robin could be called out on her bullshit then. Do you really think they are going to read passages from her cook/dating/random fucktard subject book, and mock her now?:facepalm:

4. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    The ball-busting was great, Robin, Jackie and Fred all got it, and Billy did/does killer voices. Howard deflected what little came his way, but he wasn't afraid to take calls like he is now. He would rip callers apart.

Now even a Judd Apatow tweet can hurt his feelings, he's afraid of cyber-bullying!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Oh God, Robin wasn't NEARLY as annoying. Plus, back then Howard, Jackie and John would call her out on shit. Jackie might be a hack, but he wrote some great bits and parodies and it was always fun hearing him goof on Booey.

Back in those days, Howard was competing with the entire radio world. Everybody was on their A-game and when Billy was in you could count on a ton of laughs.

Back then listeners actually got to call in. They even got to goof on Howard and complain...and Howard would take them on and be funny about it. Now he just hangs up and throws a tantrum. Back then there were bits and actual song parodies, not recycled tradio calls and song after song of Little Mikey pretending that Robin is remotely desirable. Back then there wasn't ever ANY dead air or long, drawn out moments of silence. These days I often think that I lost my feed or something because the show will go silent for five, ten seconds between bullshit AGT talk.

The only thing that hasn't changed? Tons of live reads and a shit ton of ads back in those days. Just like today..on radio that people actually pay for.

6. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The problem now is that everyone is scared of the two-headed monster. No one is going to give Howard or Robin an ounce of shit. It's like that episode of Twilight Zone where everyone is afraid to say anything that upsets that kid.

[​IMG]

In the old days, everyone involved had free reign. Howard liked making jabs and he wasn't afraid to take them either. And Jackie, although a hack, provided a lot of entertainment. Whenever he sucked, he was the butt of the jokes. And when a someone was being lame, he called them out.

7. Boff Hog

Boff Hog New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    What are these things called bits you speak of? When was the last time there was an original bit on the show?

8. NiggalissCage

NiggalissCage Well-Known Member

Reputations:

The emperors new clothes are glorious, simply glorious.

9. Negro Observer

Negro Observer Member

Reputations:
    :facepalm:

I think this clip is a good synthesis of the talents each of them brought to the table. Back when synergy was a good thing.

This one too:

Take note of how he reams Robin with the molestation comment. :hhh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  10. EOMS

EOMS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I loved the fact that once Billy got rolling he couldn't be stopped. He went completely off script and usually had the crew howling with laughter. It was out of control and very, very funny.

11. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 Xavier's water boy Banned User

Reputations:
    GREAT comparison.

12. bucketbuddy

bucketbuddy New Member

Reputations:
    because it was funny.

13. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Listen to the Billy West bit of Larry Fine at Woodstock and play it next to any Tradeo prank call and that is all you need to show you that the Billy West years were the Golden Age of the show.

14. K9feces

K9feces Member

Reputations:
    Billy Left and the funny left.

15. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you don't think the Stern Show was funny in those days, why the fuck did you EVER listen to the show? It seems to me that THSS was never meant for you.

16. Tmmy Sirianni

Tmmy Sirianni Active Member

Reputations:
    +reps!

It felt and sounded like a true team effort back then, which is why so many of us remember it fondly.

No one was above being fucked with, and each member of the gang recognized their role:

Howard emceed
    Robin interpreted for the audience
    Fred provided the soundtrack
    Billy provided the voices better than anyone else could have
    Jackie wrote the jokes/punchlines/provided much show fodder via his personal life
    Gary reminded everyone else why they should be arguing (he had a knack for remembering the show's history)
    Stuttering John reveled in stirring up trouble
    Ralph (as much as you may hate him) was also great at stirring up trouble

Granted, many of the inner circle's roles were similar before and after the Billy era, but it was during this time (1994-1995 in particular, when Billy was in-studio for most of the week) that the primary players seemed most comfortable with playing their individual parts.

It seemed more like a band than a mere radio troupe at that point.

That's just my opinion, though.

Disagree? Reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  17. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I love it when they play clips/bits that Billy was in on. Not being able to hear Howard until Sirius, a lot of that shit is brand new for me.

I was listening to the "Reggie-Hatin' Hat" discussion they were having, and Billy was on fire with the jokes and impressions. Sheer genius!

18. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    What everyone else said.

I am still loathe to give Jackie much credit, but popular consensus is he was the brains behind Billy's brilliance. Billy just brought the show even more to life, Howard wasn't coasting, Jackie and Fred barely spoke, Robin (thank heaven) spoke little, and everyone was on their game. The only negative was the clapping, which may have subsided by the time of Billy's arrival anyway?

But I think the Billy West years were the best mostly because Billy was so talented. (Voice aside, no way is Jackie solely responsible for all that riffing.)

19. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Did everyone else's posts help you understand why the Billy West era was the pinnacle of THSS? If not, fuck off.

20. nserafini

nserafini Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Marge Schott

End of thread