Why is there no way to track ratings on sat?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dusco, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Dusco

Dusco New Member

Reputations:
    They can count raitings on BS flowing though 1000,0000000000000,0000000 year old coax cable but they can not for sat radio? I wish they could.. Stern might be out of a job faster than he thinks.

2. Dusco

Dusco New Member

Reputations:
    I heard Gilbert in an interview a few months back. And they asked how come he has not been on the stern show lately and he said I donno then jokingly said why? I can just yell out of a 2 story window.. Maybe that is why he has still not ben on lol.

3. sloth22

sloth22 Active Member

Reputations:
    They must have some kind of ratings information, or there would be no way to sell advertising. They just don't make it publicly available.

4. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Satellite transmits but does not receive. They could (and I'm sure do) tell what people are listening to on the internet/portable device feeds. But I don't think they care what people like as long as they keep paying the monthly fee.

5. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    I don't know. If you listen to any of the other channels on Sirius that are Sirius/xm only channels, they run all the same cheesy ads for all the same shitty products. I think it's subscription based and not very expensive.

6. Dusco

Dusco New Member

Reputations:
    That is what I think.. They just hope their ads get heard no matter on what channel. And I am not a complete dumb shit I am sure he is most likely having the highest ratings during some of the time periods so some may only air on his stations

7. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    I'm sure they can track the internet streaming and they send out questionnaires in the email every one in a while but its usually 3 questions about Sirius and 40 about some car company or hotel chain they have rented out their email list to for focus groups.

As for the actual channels there is no way to tell. Sat only flows downwards regardless of what the 5 tin foil hat douchebags in Muttville used to claim. And its just the way Howard likes it. He doesn't even have to split hairs and find some slim ass demographic to claim "Hes number one" since there's no actual way to prove him wrong.

8. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Every different sponsor has an online coupon code to track where you heard of them. If 1-800 Flowers doesn't get many Howard100 promo codes, then they know it isn't worth advertising on their channel.

9. Afganistand

Afganistand Motivationally Deficient VIP

Reputations:
    :jj: As if the POS radios that, at times, can barely recieve a signal would actually be able to BROADCAST BACK UP TO A SATELLITE!

10. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Reputations:
    They have ratings and either Sirius is keeping it from Howard to prevent him from knowing the percentage of listeners listening to him or they are embarrassed to release how few people listen at any given moment

11. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Why would Sirius make ratings? The advertising is something that does not benefit them. The performer usually gets the advertising money against lower pay. Sirius makes its money from subscriptions.

The last imdependent rating for THSS fr.o.m. 2007 was about 70000 listerners per day.

Howard bases his number from a survey that 50% od Sirius subscribers sometimes listen to Howard Stern. SiriusXM have 20 million subscribers, so Howard believes that he have 20 million listeners since each radio have 2 listeners.

12. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    the people meters have to catch that stuff

13. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Why would they have ratings? And why would they keep it from Howard?

Sirius would never had re-signed Howard if they knew how few listeners he have.

14. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Exactly. And if they were able to tell how many people listen to his show THAT would have been in his contract -- not "total number of subscribers."

15. Guts83

Guts83 Active Member

Reputations:
    His contract is based on subscriptions, not the amount of listeners he has.

I remember Howard saying a few times that the one reason why he hates his job more than anything (in the 90s) was because of ratings. What a way to get rid of that monkey on his back.

16. Asshley

Asshley New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Why would they need to release ratings? Sirius controls all satellite services.
    They are going to brag to themselves?
    All they feel like showing is total number of subs.

17. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    I would love to see actual, bonafide numbers for the HSS...it would depress Howard greatly, like a fan bashing him on twitter, only 1,000,000 times worse.

18. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    But that would harm Sirius too, if it harms his show. Besides, Howchie probably has a non-disclosure agreement that prevents Sirius from taking this action. :jj: