Entertainment Why was Melissa McCarthy Honored With Star On Hollywood Walk Of Fame?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by GaryPuppet, May 19, 2015.

1. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who is she? What has she been in? I mean, WTF?

And given by the size of her, did they have to give her two stars instead of one?

[​IMG]

Rip mcdivvit and smichal like this.
  2. Joeyjoejoe

Joeyjoejoe Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Because she has her own gravitational pull & needs to revolve around something.

3. JFK

JFK Ask not what your country can do for you. Gold

Reputations:
    They had to fill in the crater she caused walking in high heels.

LawyerLarry and GaryPuppet like this.
  4. Bentknee

Bentknee Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    because she paid for it

5. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I think we found the cause of this...

[​IMG]

6. JonnySoul

JonnySoul Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bah. There's a lot of stars on Hollywood Blvd you've never heard off. She deserves one if Linda Evans (who?) or Ryan Seacrest has one

Howard can have one anytime he wants if he forks over the cash. I still don't know why he hasn't done it

7. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    She was funny in that bachelorette party movie, whatever it was called.

blindbella and Alisonsbankacct like this.
  8. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    she's actually quite funny in the movies I've seen

9. pickles3000

pickles3000 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

10. JFK

Reputations:
    She used to be John Candy before the surgery.

11. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It is my understanding that they don't give out the Walk of Fame stars. They are bought and paid for by outside interest (i.e.: fan clubs, public organizations, etc). Nobody is given one like an award.

A few weeks back I was at Universal Orlando. I was walking behind two teenage girls on Hollywood Blvd as they were reading of the names on the Walk of Fame. "Fred MacMurray [giggles], Gregory Peck [more giggles], John Ritter [giggles get louder], Olivia Newton-John..." They then stop, look at each other and say "I don't know who ANY of the people ARE!!!" and they burst out laughing as they skipped away. Fame is certainly fleeting. That's why Howard is in for a big reality slap once he retires. The public barely knows who he is now. Wait a few more years. Think of all the big stars of yesterday who were 100 times more famous than Howard who are now totally forgotten in just a generation. Fame really is fleeting.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

13. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    You'd think people would realize that. Who can name the big stars of 1915?

stanggirl and AmishGirl like this.
  14. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's the thing. People act like a star on the Walk of Fame is a huge deal, but almost any celebrity can get one if they pay for it.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and teehee like this.
  15. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    She was a lot funnier when she played it low key in bit roles and that Christina Applegate Sitcom of several years back.

16. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    and she wasn't so fat?

Seriously, she's only big, because she's big.

17. JFK

Reputations:
    How Do Stars Get on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
    January 25, 2013
    By SHEILA MARIKAR via GOOD MORNING AMERICA

[​IMG]
    Credit: Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images.

Jimmy Kimmel getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today came at a pretty convenient time - his late-night show, "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" turns 10 on Saturday, and its time slot just moved to 11:35 p.m.

Turns out, that's the way it works with most celebrities. ABCNews.com talked with Ana Martinez, the Walk's VP of public relations (and @wofstargirl on Twitter), to find out how people get stars, how much they cost (spoiler alert: $30,000!) and why some of Hollywood's biggest names - Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington, Whitney Houston - don't have stars of their own.

RELATED: Matt Damon Hijacks Jimmy Kimmel's Show ABCNews.com: How does someone get a star? Is there an application process?

Martinez: It's a process. We accept applications beginning in April, and there's a committee that meets once a year in June. There's a chairman and five committee members and they're all experts in their fields. We consider candidates in five categories: radio, recording, television, motion picture, and live theater/live performance. The criteria is longevity in the field of entertainment, nominations for awards, awards and charitable work. They have to have done charitable work.

ABCNews.com: Who's eligible to nominate someone?

Martinez: Anybody can nominate a celebrity with the permission of that celebrity. A fan club, a publicist, a relative, anybody.

ABCNews.com: And what does it cost?

Martinez: There is a sponsorship fee involved - $30,000. If selected, the fee is paid by the sponsor about a month or so before the ceremony. The fee goes toward the maintenance of the star - they're made of a thin marble. We're dealing with a $4 million repair issue right now, the walk is in need of a facelift. So the fee goes toward that, the ceremony, the barricades, and half of the fee goes toward the Hollywood Historic Trust, which is in charge of maintaining the stars.

ABCNews.com: How many stars do you give out each year?

Martinez: We get about 300 applications a year and they only select an average of 24 people, about 4 in each category. We want to do about two a month, but one year, we did 36.

ABCNews.com: So what about all these famous people that don't have a star yet? Why aren't they on the walk?

Martinez:Like Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington? Julia isn't interested. Denzel was selected many years ago and never set a date for the ceremony. Clint Eastwood is another one, Al Pacino is another one. Because of that, now we have to have a sign off. They have to sign off and say they're in agreement with the nomination, and they have to do the ceremony within five years or they expire.

Whitney Houston, when she passed away, people went crazy, asking, "Where's her star?" She was offered a star in the '90s but she never set her date. It expired. But I'm sure the committee would vote on a reinstatement. We've done posthumous ceremonies where a family member accepts it.

ABCNews.com: Which star has gotten the biggest crowd for their ceremony?

Martinez: We generally get about 600, but we had 4,000 fans for a mariachi singer named Vicente Fernández. The Latin ones are the biggest. They can range from 1,000 to 2,000 people. Those ceremonies are really crazy in a fun way. They're really passionate, they get there early.

18. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:

I like the cut of your jib. But this is precisely why Howard bought Chimney Manor: It will be noticeable from outer space and outlive him in its garishness. Maybe he will convert it into a mausoleum. Like the ancient Egyptians, the king can be buried with his wife and pets.

19. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    True... Kim Kardashian was willing to pony up the $30k and really wanted that Star, but the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce can and will shoot down an applicant that they feel has no real "talent", so they told her to fuck off!

BTW~ Even Godzilla has a Star.:giggle:

[​IMG]

Shivvy, teehee and bobp like this.
  20. kicksave7

kicksave7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Any film or TV star can get one...all you have to do is pay for it.