Shop Now At Amazon

Win Freds Money - Howard can't be this dumb

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by JoeyG, Dec 7, 2012.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Member

Reputations:
    Was listening to the replay of Win Freds Money with Jeopardy contestant Ken Jennings. Howard kept insisting he must have a high IQ and that he is much more intelligent than most people. What he doesn't get is that trivia (memory recall) has very little to do with intelligence. I took an IQ test last year, and there was very little long-term memory on the test. There was very little math (and even that only went up to pre-algebra stuff). Trivia is almost 100% long term memory. IQ test determine the ability to reason, form concepts, solve problems and analyze and perform cognitive tasks among other things. That's why you can't cheat on IQ tests - because they don't ask qyestions that simply need long-term memory to recall. Howard really has no clue.

2. Sponsor

Sponsor

Reputations:

3. David999

David999 Member VIP

Reputations:
    Great analysis.

4. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Speaking of Howard being clueless, did you notice how he kept saying "Prov-in-ence" instead of Canadian "Province"? Pretty sad for someone who loves to criticize everyone else on their language skills.

5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Wiggy loved the Mormon....:jj:
    Coward Stern is so predictable!

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Member

Reputations:
    When Ken Jennings said he went to University of Washington, Howard was like "WHOAA - University if Washington - that's a GREAT school". Jennings was like "eh, it's OK." He then went on to say BYU, and of course it's Blobins turn, and she says "WOW! BYU!!!!" Like it's fucking Harvard or something. I think these two (and Fred) are fucking idiots.

7. Bye You!

Bye You! Extreme VIP Gold

Reputations:

When Howard's daughters went to mediocre colleges, it became much easier to impress him with academic credentials :giggle:

8. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Ken's knowledge is 1/8" deep and mile wide. He doesn't know anything in-dept... he's not an expert at anything. If it weren't for shows like Jeopardy, he'd still be living in a small apartment doing menial jobs. He should be kissing Alex Trebek's feet :)

9. BethSucks

BethSucks Administrator Administrator

Reputations:
    The whole thing lost it's legitimacy when they both answered 5 of 7 questions in exactly 36 seconds. Not one at 35 and one at 37, both exactly at 36 according to the staff, with Booey chiming in with a lame "we need a clock like the NBA that goes to hundredths of a second". Something tells me they needed to stretch this segment out to make a longer HTV episode and plug the sponsor a few more times.

10. Ruffypup

Ruffypup VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Ken Jennings won 5k but paid 10k to be on the show.

:lol:

11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Actually, long term memory IS linked to high intelligence. Not sure what test you took but they did score that when I took one. Doctors require a good memory far more than they do deductive reasoning skills (most diagnoses are if-this-then-that type solutions). Go read about the endocrine system and then try to remember all that shit. There are dozens of proteins and enzymes and hormones. If doctors didn't have to remember what they do, people of average intelligence could handle it. Fred may be better at trivia than he is on an IQ test, from all his reading (same for me), but he is definitely one of the smartest, if not the smartest, person on that staff I'd say. If doctors had no requirement for long term memory and could just punch symptoms into a computer then people of average intelligence could probably do it. Here's proof.

[video=youtube;rRQijskAMp4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQijskAMp4[/video]

12. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Ken Jennings? Didn't his 15 minutes end a decade ago?

13. Ruffypup

Reputations:
    When has Howard ever encouraged replaying an entire game because of a tie. The 5k Ken won went to his extended air-time.

14. WholeAssholeOut

WholeAssholeOut New Member

Reputations:
    he was a software engineer, not a menial job

15. WholeAssholeOut

Reputations:
    my take on it was robin was saying "why did a smart guy like you to to byu?" because it is a religious college

16. HorseVsPelican

HorseVsPelican New Member

Reputations:
    Ken: I went to BYU.

Robin: Whhyyyyy'd you go theeeeeeeeeere?

Ken: I'm mormon.

Robin: OHhhhhh

That bitch had to shut up quick.

17. JoeyG

JoeyG Member

Reputations:
    Just because a person is a doctor doesn't mean they have a high IQ. You make it sound like if a guy is a doctor, he must have a high IQ, and therefore, memory recall IS a good indicator of intelligence since doctors have a good memory. That's just not true. Also, I didn't say that memory recall isn't important - there were some parts of the test that dealt with long term memory recall. But most of the test measured other things that I mentioned in the original post. Just because a person can memorize a lot of things (whether it's trivia or the endocrine system) doesn't mean they have a high IQ.

18. WholeAssholeOut

Reputations:
    there are many kinds of intelligence. it's not a terribly well understood thing. the IQ test is not the be-all end-all measure of intelligence. people have aptitudes for different things. a strong long term memory would be one kind of intelligence. visual spatial skills is another. problem solving like the logic puzzles that you'll find on an iq test is another facet of intelligence.

19. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i'm with you. ok maybe a retarded person can't memorize all that stuff, but a below average person can, if they spend enough time on it.
    i don't think drs are necessarily any smarter than plumbers. (i'm not a plumber)

JD can memorize everything fred memorized, he just doesn't care to

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  20. WholeAssholeOut

Reputations:
    of course not. it's not like you finish high school/college, get handed an iq test and then are assigned a job based on your mental aptitude.

21. Ruffypup

Reputations:
    Hypothalamus
    Pineal
    Pituitary
    Parathyroid
    Thyroid
    Thymus
    Liver
    Adrenal
    Kidney