Windows 8 blamed for biggest PC shipment plunge ever

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Apr 11, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Windows 8 blamed for biggest PC shipment plunge ever[/h] By Lisa Eadicicco
    Published April 11, 2013
    Laptopmag.com

• [​IMG]

Global PC shipments fell by 13.9 percent in the first quarter of 2013, and according to analyst firm IDC , Windows 8 could very well be the reason.
    On Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal reported that 76.3 million PC units shipped during the most recent financial period, marking the biggest decline since the IDC began publishing quarterly numbers 19 years ago.
    “The reaction to Windows 8 is real,†Jay Chou, an IDC analyst, said to The Wall Street Journal.
    Increased demand for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets have also played a role in this decline, but Windows 8 hasn’t helped. IDC continued to say that the OS actually contributed to the slump, saying that Windows 8 devices come with “features that don’t excel in a tablet mode†and take away from traditional PC usage.

PC demand for business users has declined as well. According to Chou, companies now buy computers every four or five years as opposed to every three years. Estimates for global PC shipments may fall even lower than the already-grim 1.3 percent contraction for 2013, IDC told WSJ.
    “At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market,†said Bob O’Donnell, IDC Program Vice President, Clients and Displays. “While some consumers appreciate the new form factors and touch capabilities of Windows 8, the radical changes to the UI, removal of the familiar Start button, and the costs associated with touch have made PCs a less attractive alternative to dedicated tablets and other competitive devices.â€
    The pressure is on Microsoft to make Windows 8 more compelling to consumers, whether it be through lower prices or big changes to the operating system. The Windows Blue update expected this summer promises several enhancements, including the ability to view more apps on the screen at once and easier access to settings, but it may not be enough.

2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I'm loving Windows 7
    When I need a new PC....I'll check out Windows 8

3. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Every other version of Windows sucks. 98 was awesome. Anyone remember Windows ME? LOL! Windows 2000 was pretty much the 98 platform with some upgrades. XP ruled, Vista sucked, 7 is awesome, and 8 is an abortion. Ok, so not EVERY other one sucks, but it's goddamn close.

4. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    And no, faggots, I won't be getting a fucking Mac, or anything with an "i" in front of it. I make my living developing software for Windows-based machines.

5. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    So you know what this plunge in Windows sales tells me?

Rampant hacking and viruses coming soon to Mac! :yay:

6. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Just got rid of my last windows xp machine not long ago. That OS rocked. Windows 7 is pretty good and more functional than vista. Haven't tried windows 8. I heard that people are confused by it.

7. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Dude, I can't fucking WAIT for that to happen! All these emo hipsters are going to lose what's left of their minds.

8. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    I'm still rocking 2 XPs, and I have a laptop with Vista Business (bleh). But those XP machines are still going strong.

9. boomer1976

Reputations:
    Its all we use at work so I still get to see the old XP. Have three pentium 4 towers with xp on it downstairs that I need to reformat and sell. Great machines for basic e-mail and surfing.

10. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Isn't Microsoft discontinuing all support for XP in the next year or so?

11. boomer1976

Reputations:
    They keep threatening, but keep on going. Way too many XP machines out there yet. 7 and 8 need a stronger foothold before they cut XP off. But it is coming.

12. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Vista was the fucking worst! I've been using Windows 7 for 3 years and still love it. If I had to buy a new laptop tomorrow, I'd stick with 7. 8 doesn't do it for me.

13. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    And that's pretty much all I use them for. The one in my family room powers the big screen, and all we use that for is streming Netflix or playing DL'd vids from an external drive. It has an HDMI port so it's perfect.

14. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    My work machine and work laptop have Windows 7, and you're right, it's easy to love.

15. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Oh and this plus the news that the new X-Box will be online only is leaving a shitload of people pissed off as Microsoft.

16. boomer1976

Reputations:
    Just ordered up WD TV Play media player to see what they can do. If they don't work out that well, I'm setting up an XP machine in the bedroom to use as a media center. Bluray player in the family room does an awesome job of playing network shared video files, I'll get the house wired up yet.

17. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes I agree W7 is great just bought a gaming pc... will give 8 a try but will consider installing 7 for sure

18. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Why would they DO THAT? Christ, that's agitating. Not that I have an Xbox, or really play video games at all anymore, but that's fucking annoying.

19. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    "Media center". I like that term. Sounds better than "XP machine hooked up to my tv for streaming Netflix".

20. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations: