Windows 8 update coming this summer

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Mar 26, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Windows 8 update coming this summer[/h] Published March 26, 2013

A new tablet computer and Windows 8.1: The marriage of the summer?
    Like a blushing fiancé eager to step up to the altar, Microsoft picked a date and sent out invitations Tuesday for the Build 2013 conference, where the software giant is likely to announce early availability of an update to the Windows 8 operating system.
    The company first unveiled the tablet-centric Windows 8 OS at a Build conference on Sept. 11, 2011. At the upcoming event, scheduled for June 26-28 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, the company will discuss the future of the software, said one Microsoft veep.
    “At Build, we’ll share updates and talk about what’s next for Windows,†wrote Steve Guggenheimer, Microsoft's corporate vice president and chief evangelist, in a blog post announcing the event. Guggenhiemer did not go into detail about what the next version of the software will do or how it will address criticism that the software is too touch-focused and sometimes counterintuitive.
    But In a separate blog post, another Microsoft executive mentioned one word that offers clues and is sure to tantalize technology fans: blue.
    “Product leaders across Microsoft are working together on plans to advance our devices and services, a set of plans referred to internally as Blue,†wrote Frank X. Shaw, corporate vice president of corporate communications.
    “Chances of products being named thusly are slim to none,†he added with a wink.
    Over the weekend, a leaked version of “Windows Blue†was widely described on tech websites, sporting a number of features that may address that criticism. It includes features like the resizable tiles already present in Windows Phone 8, as well as features that will make it more usable on touch tablets, such as the ability to customize the Start Screen without having to use the Desktop Control Panel.
    Mary Jo Foley, who covers Microsoft technology for ZDNet, detailed some additional changes.
    “There's also a new snap view which allows two windows to be snapped side-by-side so that each takes up half the size of the display, as well as an option to have four apps displayed simultaneously. (If that four-app view ends up making it into Blue, I'll be very happy, as I really miss real windowing in Windows 8.)â€
    The company is supposedly aiming to release the software this summer, Foley wrote.
    We'll see if the engagement holds. In the meantime, don’t buy that wedding gift just yet.

2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck that.... Tried W8 and was not impressed.... i am sure it works great for a tablet but for regular PCs i will pass

3. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    win7 for pcs..............or gentoo:)

4. chapped

Reputations:

still love 7 myself.. in fact looking at laptops right now and will pick one that still has 7

5. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  6. Big Lar

Big Lar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Windows.... :facepalm:

7. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Fuck Windows. I have been running Linux for over a year now, I will never look back.

8. Big Lar

Reputations:
    I don't even know what that means- I just know that windows sucks... :hat:

9. chapped

Reputations:
    i own 4 windows pcs, an imac, two ipads, iphone, galaxy tab2 7 and Samsung Note II ... the idea of adding another OS to my life would make my head blow the fuck up

10. ZooZaZoo

ZooZaZoo New Member

Reputations:
    Had windows XP for 10 years. Never had an issue. Not a major one anyway. Had windows 7 for a couple years now. Same thing, no issues.
    I guess I got lucky to have had only the non shit windows Op systems. :dontknow:

11. Jake Dog

Jake Dog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Windows update" is an oxymoron

12. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    MSFT have done a good product in 40 years.

Why start now?

I pray each day that Google ports Android to X86 and release it on desktop. MSFT needs to die. MSFT is the main reason why we don't have flying cars and clean energy.

13. Big Lar

Reputations:

I'm 32 now. In my younger years, I remember trying to upgrade my computer or doing something simple like add a new printer and it was an all day project. Ever since then I hated windows. (Fuck Driver disks) It has gotten better but I think I am traumatized..

I would love to get a mac and try their OS. That will cost a pretty penny though..

14. chapped

Reputations:
    macs are great until a year later when the new one comes out and Apple treats you like an asshole if you need anything from them..

15. dawg

Reputations:
    Windows XP and Windows NT were solid. The rest was and is shit.

16. Big Lar

Reputations:

Yeah, that's my fear.... I know I sound Jewey but it's just so much damn money to waste and then feel like it's obsolete in a year. I know you get that with everything technological, but they are just so much more then a regular PC.

17. dawg

Reputations:
    The server versions are great still.

18. dawg

Reputations:
    And I spent a fortune on becoming an MSCE. The funny thing is not one employer has ever asked if I have it, Not one :facepalm:

19. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    BS. there are so many stories on the web of Apple replacing people's broken devices for free even out of warranty.

As for Windows, Windows is fucking dead. Most of the people don't need a windows machine anymore since all they do is surf the web. an iPad or Chromebook should suffice these people.

20. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    I still remember the all day affair trying to hook up my wife's (then fiancé) Sprint PCS phone to her HP Win Millennium laptop for law school back in 2001. After an hour on the phone with their tech people just to make the adjustments to Windows and then hours setting up the software, I finally got it to work and it would take about 5-10 minutes just to load or refresh the Hotmail page. After all that bullshit, she just decided to plug into the high speed lines at the law library.

Time warp to the modern age today, my phone and web provider sent me a free sim card and a usb dongo for unlimited mobile web for of being an old customer. I wanted to use it with my pad, so I bought a little HUAWEI hotspot that's the size of a credit card and as thin as a smart phone. I slid in the sim card and entered the codes and within a few minutes was surfing on my pad. It was so damn fast, I was watching YouTube videos with no lag time while waiting for my wife while shopping. Damn, how times have changed!