Winner of Florida roach-eating contest collapses, dies after downing dozens of bugs

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Oct 8, 2012.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    MIAMI - The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.
    About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles (64 kilometres) north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
    Edward Archbold, 32, became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
    "Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."
    None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.
    "We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."
    Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.
    A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."
    The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."

[h=2]EXPLORE RELATED CONTENT[/h]

2. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Well duh, Roaches carry disease :jj:

3. vaginapoosie

vaginapoosie black magic woman VIP

Reputations:
  4. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
  5. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
    They mentioned that he may have been allergic to them. If he was unaware of this and went into anaphylactic shock that would make sense..

6. Zyro

Zyro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    I assume it would be similar to the shellfish reaction which I've had before. It's not a fast onset, and I got very itchy for the first hour. Plenty of time to get help. I think there's more to this.

8. Lou Skunt

Reputations:
    Very astute. My wife had the allergy testing done by her allergy dr, and she is highly allergic to cock roaches. It was the worst response she had of all the things she was tested for except a few specific grasses. I would never have believed it...

9. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
    Article says he ate "dozens" of them. Depending on their size & if he had an undiagnosed allergy to them I think it's very plausible ..

10. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    hmmm...

1.Florida
    +2.wanted a python
    +3.badly enough to enter roach eating contest instead of just paying for it
    =white trash

[​IMG]

how undignified- cause of death overdose of roaches

11. Lou Skunt

Reputations:
    Very plausible, the test she had just exposed her to a tiny amount of the given allergen. She had an enormous welt for the things she was most allergic to. I can't imagine what reaction she would have to a large amount of the things she is allergic to. Most likely anaphylaxis. The good thing is that she knows what to avoid and is getting shots tailored to her allergies. We would never have known about the cock roaches had she not been tested. We have never had them so we had no idea that they could be a problem.

12. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
    Same here. My allergist pricked my skin with 24 of the most common allergens and I was shocked when the results came back I had the greatest reaction to roaches more than any other allergen..

13. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:

:lol:

14. Lou Skunt

Reputations:
    I can't imagine what would happen if you or my wife actually ingested a roach. I don't think it would be good and you are fucked if you don't have an epi pen or an ER nearby.

15. gridlockd

gridlockd Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What color was he?

16. ClownPocket

ClownPocket New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Archbold is pictured above in a mug shot taken in 2004, following his arrest for disorderly conduct and indecent exposure (for which he was convicted).

17. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Everything about this story is funny. Even the name Ben Siegel

18. vaginapoosie

vaginapoosie black magic woman VIP

Reputations:
    i'm allergic to just about everything. when they did the prick/tine/whatever test on my arms, i went home that day with welts covering the inside of both. speaking of, allergies are horrible right now. i woke up all stuffed up. but anyway, what i wanted to say was, i don't remember roaches being on the test, though. at least i don't remember them mentioning it when i had it done, but they basically gave me the list and told me i'm allergic to it all, except for maybe one tree or something.

19. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it figures it's in florida.

20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    Ill stick to smokin 'em :smokin: