News Wolf stalks woman for 14 hours

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by PSU Shower Room, Jun 17, 2016.

1. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So she got a bear to kick it's ass!!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/north/wolf-bear-bait-joanne-barnaby-nwt-1.3636604

'I was in trouble': Beer can and bears save mushroom picker from hungry wolf
    Joanne Barnaby was stalked by a wolf for 12 hours, eventually leading the animal into a trap
    Katherine Barton ยท CBC NewsFirst published: June 15, 2016 at 11:22 AM CT
    Last updated: June 15, 2016 at 3:33 PM CT" data-initial-position="bottom" data-arrow="false" data-close-trigger="click" data-max-width="470px" title="First published: June 15, 2016 at 11:22 AM CT Last updated: June 15, 2016 at 3:33 PM CT" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(5, 80, 200); text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer;">June 15, 2016

[​IMG]
    Joanne Barnaby, left, when she was reunited with her friend Tammy Cauldron. Barnaby was stalked in the bush for 12 hours by a wolf. (Submitted by Joanne Barnaby)

4.9k shares

166 comments

What's the best way to fend off a wolf that's stalking you? Bait it with a bear cub, of course.

It sounds incredible, but that's exactly what Joanne Barnaby did when she got into a terrifying situation while out picking morel mushrooms near Fort Smith, N.W.T., last Friday.

Barnaby and her friend Tammy Caudron headed out to an area burned by wildfires to spend an hour or two searching for the elusive morels. They soon became separated, leaving Barnaby alone with her loyal dog, Joey.

Once her pail was full of mushrooms, she turned to head back toward her truck.

[​IMG]
    Joanne Barnaby was mushroom picking when she got separated from her friend near Fort Smith, N.W.T. (CBC)

"I heard this growl behind me. There was a long, tall, very, very skinny wolf. A black wolf. And his legs were spread and his hair was standing, and he was growling, and baring his teeth."

Joey charged the animal, but the wolf stood its ground.

"I don't think Joey expected that," Barnaby says. "I didn't want him hurt, of course, but I also knew that if the wolf got Joey, I'd be next."

'Trying to wear me down'
    The wolf started pacing back and forth in the direction of the truck. Barnaby says it was forcing her to go farther east, away from the highway.

"It took me a while to realize that he knew what he was doing. He was trying to wear me down. He was trying to separate Joey and I," she says.

"I think he was weak. He didn't look healthy. He looked old to me ... I don't think he wanted to take us both on."

What followed was a 12-hour hunt. The wolf continued to pursue Barnaby and Joey, as they were pushed farther from her truck.

'I started praying to not let the mosquitos drive me insane.'- Joanne Barnaby
    "He was dogged. He was just determined," Barnaby says. "I was in trouble."

Barnaby said she became dehydrated, her calves and thighs were aching, and there was another vicious attacker that was testing her mental strength.

"I was going crazy with mosquitoes. There were zillions of mosquitoes."

Dangerous plan pays off
    At about 4:30 a.m., Barnaby heard a loud noise. She quickly recognized it as a mother bear. Listening closely, trying to drown out the buzz of mosquitoes, sure enough she heard a cub respond from far away in the distance. The two bears had been separated.

"I realized that there was a chance that the mother bear would tackle the wolf if she felt that the wolf was a threat," Barnaby explains.

"So I made the choice of walking towards the cub."

It worked. After walking about 20 minutes, Barnaby's dangerous plan paid off.

"I heard this big crashing behind me and realized that the mama bear had attacked the wolf, or maybe the other way around, I don't know, but they were fighting and I could hear the wolf yelping and I could hear the mama bear growling and I could hear all this crashing and I just took off!"

Decision to live
    Finally free of the wolf, Barnaby and Joey both "perked right up" when they saw a lake.

"I had brought one can of beer with me. Silly choice," she laughs. "That little can of beer ended up saving my life"

She drank can after can of water and finally took a break.

'This one was a decision to live and it was really powerful.'- Joanne Barnaby
    "I started praying to not let the mosquitos drive me insane. Then I just started talking to people I love, some of whom are still with us, some of whom have passed.

"As I talked to them and told them how much I loved them," Barnaby said, her voice breaking, "everything they mean to me, it energized me, and I was determined to see everybody again.

"All night I had been making decisions of sorts, but this one was a decision to live and it was really powerful."

Lessons learned
    When the pair finally climbed onto the highway Saturday morning, Barnaby saw vehicles parked on the road about a kilometre away.

"I was like, 'OK, we're good. We're really good.'"

A police truck, carrying a local RCMP officer and a Parks Canada worker, drove to Barnaby and Joey.

"They both jumped out of the truck and we had big hugs, and of course they were full of questions, but they didn't have any bug spray for me! I couldn't believe it!" she laughs.

Barnaby is still kicking herself for not bringing her gun into the bush, calling it a "huge mistake."

"Don't do what I did. Don't go without your gun," she says. "Anything can happen.

"If I had had that gun, it would've been a very short situation."

2. Rod-Stroker

Rod-Stroker Streptococcus Gingivitis Halllllllllllllitosis

Reputations:
    Yaya noyeah

3. ljc

ljc fish sucks on the stick Gold

Reputations:
    beware of the wolf pack
    [​IMG]

Slow, Sleep, stash and 9 others like this.
  4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    She should have brought her gun. I'd be more worried about bears up there. Glad her dog wasn't killed.

5. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Jayla and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  6. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    For mushrooms???

Gretsch Man, MrWarmth and Limo Wreck like this.
  7. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:

[​IMG]

8. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
  9. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    Riley liked them with Pinto Beans...

Biff DiBiase, TheMercenary and ljc like this.
  10. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Didn't read the whole story (aside from the wolf was obviously hungry), but I visited a wolf rescue/sanctuary once and the little tree-hugging girl working (volunteering) there wouldn't STFU for one minute about how wolves NEVER, EVER attack or eat people and how it is 100% bad propaganda/hollywood and ignorance that leads people to think this. I kept thinking there must be some reason why for centuries every fairy tale had people being eaten by fucking wolves and there had to be SOME reason why so many people feared them. I'm sure they don't "hunt" us much these days and we don't come in contact with many anyhow, but Jesus I wish I had her email so I could to send her this story. :snicker: Whoever she is, her facebook page must be blowing up like a motherfucker today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HigherPrimate

HigherPrimate Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    that is one hell of a mushroom trip

Brokenbad likes this.
  12. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
  13. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Even a man.....who is pure of heart....and says his prayers at night....becomes a wolf....when the wolfbane blooms....and the moon is full....and bright :worried:

Pill Queen, Sleep, Hankjones and 3 others like this.
  14. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    Guilty

lilbuddy67 likes this.
  15. monsoon

monsoon Who are you with?

Reputations:
    Story sounds like pure :shit:. Nobody brings 1 can of beer to anything ever.

F mutt

16. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    She probably crushed the other 11 before heading out by the looks of her.

17. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The north woods are no joke. You shouldn't need all the bullshit permits to carry a pistol up there. Being armed is mandatory.

The hunt camp I was just at my cousin blasted a bear as it busted down the door to the kitchen where they had cleaned and cooked a bunch of fish before bed. The side porch was still stained red.

Head Censor and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  18. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    She drank the other 11 before the wolf showed up.

SouthernListen, monsoon and Ashbeard like this.
  19. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What the fuck is N.W.T.?

20. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Dang...ya beat me to it.