News Woman goes blind after cat licks her eye

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, May 29, 2015.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know if this story has been posted. I think it's so important it should be pinned. In the land of blind Crazy Cat Women the One Eyed Beth Is Queen.

An Ohio woman has gone blind in her left eye after her cat licked her and transmitted an infection called cat scratch disease (CSD), fox8.com reported.

Janese Walters told TV station WTOL in Toledo that she initially thought she had pink eye, but when she told doctors she owns a cat, they immediately suspected the condition.

“Anything that is exposed to the cat’s mouth— including if you have a little scratch that the cat licks— that’s how you get it,” University of Toledo doctor Kris Brickman told WTOL. He added that while “cat scratch” doesn’t pose a health risk to felines, it can to humans.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), CSD can affect the brain, eyes, heart or other internal organs. Although serious complications from the disease are rare, they may require intensive treatment. Cases are most common among children younger than age 5 and among people with weakened immune systems.

Brickman advised cat owners to wash their hands after playing with their pets. He said 40 percent of cats carry the bacteria that leads to CSD.

“Don’t let [cats] lick any open wounds, and try not to get bit by any cat,” he added.

Walters didn’t know what CSD was prior to being diagnosed, but she said she hopes her story causes other cat owners to take caution.

“You don’t want to lose your eyesight,” she said.

2. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    cats are very dirty
    that does not surprise me

3. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
  4. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Robin, I have sad news to report. Beth was in the hospital over vacation and lost her eye. It's devastating. She was hoping to have two eyes this Summer for all the Hampton's parties. I warned her to stop feeding the Feral cats outside our door. She finally got one in the house it got spooked and scratched her eye. I had no idea you could lose an eye from a cat scratch. That smart ass Jimmy Kimmel sent her a bag of cats eye marbles while she in was in hospital. I'm done with him, Robin. You have to draw the line somewhere.

5. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cats are filthy, disgusting animals. If you have one throw it in a wood chipper ASAP.

6. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    In my mid-twenties, I once called in sick to work for a week with 'beaver fever'. True story.

7. Zach

Zach Say10 Says Smile

Reputations:
    You mean to tell me out of all the foster cats these two have had, not one kitten has tried to lick this Mare in the eye. Kittens suck.

8. John Walker

John Walker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cat licks you= blind.
    You lick cat= HPV.

9. Dan

Dan Do you like my car?

Reputations:
    This is so sad. Her peripheral vision will never be the same.

10. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    Had it on my finger one time after ours accidentally stuck a claw in me (had my hand on his scratching post)...the shit was very tiny but just wouldn't heal for weeks until I asked the doc for a Z-Pack.

11. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Blind Janese Walters is an Ohio woman who is blind and cannot see.

TheMercenary likes this.