Wordpress - anyone use it for anything?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by acagirl98, Jan 20, 2013.

1. acagirl98

acagirl98 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I need to create an online presence for something I'm selling. I don't know if one of their blogs will suffice or if I should do a site (which I will have to learn stuff for).

I have two separate things that each need a page. I might also want to do other things in the future but right now getting these two things online is the priority.

blog with a static front page or site hosting thing? help!!

2. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Chaturbate.com sounds like what you are looking for.

3. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Listen to D aca, he knows what he speaks of.

4. acagirl98

Reputations:
  5. Estocada

Estocada Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It depends on how advanced you want to get-a wp.com is free and you can set it up quickly, but is very limited in what you can do with it.

A wp.org will require hosting-hostgator and bluehost offer out of the box wp.org configs. You have much more control over a wp.org site. You can have advertising and host third party merchant software, your own formatting (thesis is a good one)...Basically, if you are really needing to be online and this is an ongoing venture, you probably need to do a wp.org.

You can get it developed very cheap, too, if you don't want to invest the time to develop it yourself. Check out the Warrior Forum for people selling that developer skill. You might also want to do some keyword research on your domain name.

6. acagirl98

Reputations:
    I don't mind doing the initial developing myself, it would just need periodic updating after that. WP have a blog package for $99/year:

WordPress Value Bundle

Save up to 40% on our most popular upgrades with this great new bundle. Get all of these great features to super-charge your blog in one simple purchase. Includes a domain name of your choice or domain mapping for an existing domain, VideoPress, Custom Design, 10GB Space Upgrade, and No Ads.

1 year subscription
    Remove from Cart•Domain Name & Mapping
    •10GB Space Upgrade
    •No Ads
    •Custom Design
    •VideoPress
    (I don't want ads)

How much would I be looking at for those other places you mentioned? I can't hit the submit button on the blog package because intuition is saying I need the other thing even though I might have to do more work initially...faaaaaackk.

7. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Reputations:
    What are you selling?

8. acagirl98

Reputations:
    A house. Also a couple of rentals that I want to have a page for and just circulate when needed.

9. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Reputations:
    Maybe Craigslist is what you should go with. A blog seems a clumsy way to get the word out about houses. Most wouldn't look thru a blog site for housing.

10. acagirl98

Reputations:
    nono - not to get the word out - to host info about the places.

I already have the listings in place, but you can only included a certain amount of info and can't do it in a snazzy way. I want to include the link to a page in the listing and the page will have all the extra info and pictures I can't inlcude in the listing.

and a blog may not be what I'm looking for. I need something that gives me a me.com address, easy code templates, ability to add plug ins if I want and if I ever get time maybe the option to play with some basic html stuff.

11. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Reputations:
    Look into squarespace.com . That might be what you need.

12. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Interesting concept, but here in the states I find that doing rentals that way is a waste of your money, I go with craigslist (works every one out of 10 times, but it is free, a bit annoying to weed out all the nIgerian doctors that want to pay you a year in advance sight unseen, but again it is free), my main seller is a nice ad in the local paper. Spend your money there, I have my rental ads templated, so I just have the paper run whichever one is available. I adjust the ads as needed.

13. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:

Why not list on MLS then? Seems they would have what you need.

14. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Doing what you say to me would only attract the midnight surfers who stumble upon your ad by accident. This is an interesting idea, but in order for it to work in my eyes you need to start a network, something like an Angies list for rentals, an Ashley Madison of real estate where renters, buyers and sellers can interact, and do all the uncomfortable credit and background checks without having to meet. Once they pass mustard you can meet. Great idea, but you need other landlords in order for you to generate the volume for such a thing to work. Otherwise just create a web sight for each of your rentals and direct traffic there via your ads.

15. acagirl98

Reputations:
    Just listed on mls last night, but also want a link from there to something I can customize more than LMS.

and the rentals I don't want on mls - we have kijiji here which is like our craigslist, and I have them on there when needed but you are limited in what you can post and customize so I want the extra hosting for that. Newspapers in this city are dead, last place anyone looks for something.

It's not where to list and advertize that I need, I have all that covered, it's where I want to host additional information, and forms that tenants can submit etc.

So after some research I'm thinking dreamhost, can register a domain and use their hosting. Good ratins in lifehacker. Anyone use them? good/bad?

16. acagirl98

Reputations:
    yes for christs sake, this is what I have explained 5 times now that I want to do. Just this.

Sorry fender but fuck it's like people don't read. Or I can't explain :eek:

17. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Ok, so then you are looking to create a sight and address for each rental, or you can do one for you sort of, and list all your rentals there. Not too major a task it seems? Are you looking for pricing for hosting?

18. acagirl98

Reputations:

okay maybe not 5 times, but I explained it here.

okay, so any feedback on dreamhost anyone?

19. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    No biggie, but instead of saying that you want to create an online presence for something say that you want to start a web sight.

20. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    They have to have demographics as to the amount of hits they generate, why not start there?