WTF Worst car manufacturer?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by YodaQuiversStern, Feb 25, 2016.

1. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Normally, I like Lexus, but today I am cursing them due to my husband's car needing $5k in repairs. The issues are "known" problems with his model car, but there's never been a recall for either one (one of the issues is truly a safety issue as it involves one or both headlights shutting off unexpectedly). I have an older Lexus that has had virtually no problems in 113,000 miles and almost 13 years. Somewhere between the years of manufacturing my car and his car, their cars became shitty.

So my answer today is Lexus, although I think there are probably many manufacturers who actually suck more than Lexus.

We might be shopping for a new car soon (for him), so I'd like to know what manufacturers to avoid.

2. Swedish John

Swedish John I'm your huckleberry

Reputations:
    Consumer reports says Jeep. I tend to agree. Those things are buckets of bolts.

3. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
  4. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Suzuki or Daewoo.

KIA has been around long enough to earn my respect, though that would be the last brand of vehicle I'd buy

babybear, Vagineer and Swedish John like this.
  5. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is there really a bad car made today? Sure, some are more reliable than others and the more expensive ones, Lexus I'm looking at you, are more expensive to fix but compared to cars from even a decade ago they are reliable, safe, fuel efficient and fairly fun to drive.

6. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Chevy. Hands down. Cheap electrical components. @Mack

shitba, F Timmy, kinneyjames and 3 others like this.
  7. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Dodge/Jeep/Fiat are just ahead of Suzuki/Daewoo.

Drove a Dodge Caravan when my kids were younger, what a pile of shit that was

Turkeyneck, clauge, Dale and 5 others like this.
  8. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    They still make Daewoo? Kek.

rabbigottfried likes this.
  9. Swedish John

Swedish John I'm your huckleberry

Reputations:
    You need to stop taking those pics dude. You're gonna get arrested for that shit.

DDragon likes this.
  10. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

ramble and babybear like this.
  11. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    Lexus are expensive to fix but, no they are pretty close to the opposite of the worst car company.

Of the top 10 brands or so, Dodge has to be number 1???

TagF1fan likes this.
  12. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    My first truck was a Ram. Electronic trouble after 60000 miles. My ford is 220000 and counting.

stanggirl likes this.
  13. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    No. F-150 is the most based vehicle.

14. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    KIA is now owned by Hyundai. They've made HUGE strides in advancing quality control in the last few years since being taken over. The South Korean company is starting to cut into the Japanese companies market share. Of the Domestics, GM has been a big surprise passing Ford in consumer satisfaction. Buick of all things is on top. Ford was on top for years but for one reason or another they've fallen off a bit. It might have something to do with the problems in some of their new engines. Chrysler still has it's thumb up it's ass and is now owned by FIAT. Let's face it FIAT (Fix- It -Again -Tony) has never been known for building reliable cars.

15. the G-man

the G-man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just got their 2016 annual new car issue. This year Fiat is worst. Jeep second worst.

The top three are Audi, Subaru and Lexus.

Petal, CrucifiedAGT and Swedish John like this.
  16. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    I just keep buying hondas...can't go wrong

17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    1. The fact that you're paying for the repair means it's at least over 4 years old or 50,000 miles. No car is trouble free forever and the chance of failure rises with age and miles.

2. You've been spoiled by Lexus quality. Most vehicle brands are experiencing problems before this.

3. Headlight issues are intermittent in nature and short of ripping out the wiring harness, which is virtually impossible, they can't just "recall" them and repair thousands of vehicles for problems which effect a few hundred units. If they put a tester on a circuit and it works, it works. They can't find whats wrong until the failure occurs. Unless you'd want your Lexus to cost even more than it does.

4. $5,000 in repairs would tend to indicate something powertrain related, making it a car that is either over 7 years old or 70,000 miles. If so, this is an old car. Things break on old cars. Luxury brand parts cost more. But Lexus is a lot cheaper than German brands. So it could be worse.

5. It is virtually guaranteed that you'd pay about half that $5000 at an independent repair shop. Have you gotten multiple quotes or are you just going to the dealer like a lamb to slaughter?
    (also, it is a common mistake people make to panic or become disgusted and bail on an otherwise reliable car after they have just paid to repair it. The depreciation the first year alone on a New $50,000 Lexus would be about $8,000)

6. Their cars did not become "shitty". They became far more complex than cars were 13 years ago. Infotainment, xenon headlights that require tremendous amounts of power, stability control systems, blind spot systems, lane keeping, etc, all require more complex computer and electronic systems, and more components, which means more failures. Lexus still tops Consumer Reports and other quality indexes. So thousands of reports say you're mistaken about that. They did have a small drop off for a few years which may involve your year model. But even then they were above average.

7. Go ask your BMW , Land Rover, Jaguar, Jeep, or Mercedes owning friends how trouble free their cars were at this age. Mercedes is currently ranked near the bottom in reliability surveys, and BMW has always had electrical gremlins despite being about average overall. Lexus are one of the best reselling brands. That is because they are reliable and a person can safely buy one that is older and not have too much to worry about. German cars drop like rocks in value once the warranty expires. They become "hot potatos" nobody wants to own at certain mileage.

8. If reliablity is your main requirement, you will not do better statistically than Lexus. Audi is now #3 but for most of its US history it was below average. Kia is also up there.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2016-2-25_13-36-14.png
    upload_2016-2-25_13-36-56.png

bdbx18, ramble, icypussy and 4 others like this.
  18. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    I meant number 1 regarding the OP as worst brand. I have a F-150 as my work vehicle and its incredible.

Turkeyneck and crazypreacher like this.
  19. MadWoman777

MadWoman777 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think the Adobe wins hands down
    [​IMG]

Horff, shitba, crazypreacher and 3 others like this.
  20. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Ladies and gentlemen........the EDSEL!

[​IMG]

Oh I thought it said worse car failure of all time. :c