News Would you "visit" a virtual medical professional?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SouthernListen, Feb 3, 2016.

1. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I know I'd kill to be able to do that. Dr visits are a waste of at least half a day. Unless you're showing them some tiny mole or something, why not? Insurance requirements have fucked up medicine. They're so afraid of fraud they make thousands of customers kill millions of productive hours schlepping to/from appointments.

Anthem Tells Customers to Visit Virtual Doctors, Therapists, and Psychologists

Growing number of insurers push virtual visits to doctor
    3:09 PM, FEB 03, 2016 | By JIM SWIFT

Anthem Blue Cross / Blue Shield announced today an expansion in its coverage of virtual visits:

Online visits using LiveHealth Online just got better. Now you can visit with doctors, therapists, and psychologists on your smartphone, tablet or computer with a webcam*. It's quick, easy to use and super convenient since you can get the care you need from the comfort of your own home!

* See board-certified doctors 24/7. No appointments or long wait times. It's a great option for care when your own doctor isn't available. Doctors can assess your condition and even send prescriptions to the pharmacy of your choice if needed1.

* Talk to a licensed therapist or psychologist at home. If you're feeling stressed, worried or having a tough time, we're here to help. In most cases you can make an appointment and see a therapist or psychologist in 4 days or less2.

Anthem started the practice in 2013 for a handful of its customers, but has expanded the program greatly in recent months.

A 2015 article in Modern Healthcare highlights the pros and cons of the new technology:

Advocates of the virtual-visit model argue that expanding access to telehealth services would reduce costs by heading off more expensive urgent care and emergency department care, and that consumers increasingly will substitute virtual visits for in-person visits so that the total amount of services will not rise. But critics question that assumption, cautioning that consumers may use telehealth in addition to traditional in-person visits, thus boosting total spending. They also worry about the quality of video and phone visits compared with in-person visits, and whether virtual care will be coordinated with patients' regular care.

Virtual coverage is expected to be available for 40 million Americans this year.

Will insurers, squeezed by Obamacare save money with the new technology? Or will America's hypochondriacs cost them an arm and a leg?

AmishGirl and regult like this.
  2. regult

regult 4 Goals...

Reputations:
    For most cases, this would be a blessing. When my in-laws are on-call, they never go into the hospital; they just consult via phone.

3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    They can probably bill for that and have it be accepted. I doubt most insurers would allow a doctor to see routine non hospitialized patients that way. But they should, as it could reduce their costs in the long run. We might need a little tort reform first, however, as much of medical practice today is defensive. Both sides on that issue have irrational expectations so it won't happen.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    regult likes this.
  4. Mr. Meatkabob

Mr. Meatkabob Unsticking the Bat Wings

Reputations:
    Depends. Can they do virtual prostate exams?

SouthernListen likes this.
  5. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My medical marijuana card was done thru skype .nurse took my vitals , thought I was walking into a doc office and there was a doc on a computer monitor. Kind of felt weird

bdbx18 and cwok like this.
  6. regult

regult 4 Goals...

Reputations:
    Just need to hook up your at-home kit first:

[​IMG]

SouthernListen and Mr. Meatkabob like this.
  7. OneBallBelz

OneBallBelz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is where medicine is heading in ten years. There will be no PCP on site, your symptoms and vitals will be fed to a Watson-like program and a virtual doc will verify via Skype.

8. Mr. Meatkabob

Mr. Meatkabob Unsticking the Bat Wings

Reputations:
    Harrible.

9. bdbx18

bdbx18 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hell yeah. I've got to check into it. My typical visit is 1 hr to get there, parking, 30-90 mins of wait time and 5 mins of actual face-to-face time with the doc. Plus the drive home.

AmishGirl and Mr. Meatkabob like this.
  10. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    If it means that I only have to say what's wrong w/me once, I'm all for it!!!

[​IMG]

SouthernListen likes this.