Sports X Games and BMX star Dave Mirra offs himself at age 41

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by GaryPuppet, Feb 5, 2016.

1. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  2. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    Not to dance on anyone's grave, but who wants to lay dollars on nickels that there is some post concussion syndrome associated with this.....

check1, Hank Douglas and monsoon like this.
  3. Spudboy

Spudboy Active Member

Reputations:
    What a fucking asshole.

SorryBoff and Stinkfist like this.
  4. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sick dismount....

5. itsawig

itsawig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    KIds across the nation are already trying to copy that maneuver, aptly named the "mirra pants full of shit" because of the signature Loss of bowel control

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Peter Pan syndrome.

7. binhphuocngu

binhphuocngu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    CTE reports from ESPN

DAVE MIRRA IS
    a BMX legend. For two decades, he was his sport's steely-eyed, strong-jawed representative to the mainstream. He posed for covers, hosted a show on MTV and fronted his own video game series. As action sports took off, there was Tony Hawk, and there was Dave Mirra. He was the first rider to land a double backflip, the first to win three gold medals at a single X Games.

Following his death from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Feb. 4, Mirra has become the first action sports athlete to be diagnosed with CTE, the brain disease associated with concussions that the medical community is just beginning to understand. Dr. Lili-Naz Hazrati, a University of Toronto neuropathologist who examined Mirra's brain, says it was indistinguishable from those of afflicted former football and hockey players. "I couldn't tell the difference," she says.

Mirra, who was 41 when he died, suffered a fractured skull when a car hit him at age 19, and he dabbled in boxing after his retirement from BMX in 2011. But he also endured countless concussions during his BMX career, beginning at a young age. Hazrati says Mirra's brain showed abnormal tau protein deposits -- chronic traumatic encephalopathy's trademark -- in the frontal and temporal lobes. "It's assumed it is related to multiple concussions that happened years before," Hazrati says.

Dave's wife, Lauren, received the diagnosis in March and is now speaking about it for the first time. She feels his presence as she walks though the home she and Dave built in Greenville, North Carolina. His bikes hang on the wall; his favorite quotes are cut into shelves above the bar. Then there's the downstairs bathroom. One night two years ago, Dave interrupted a living room dance party with his daughters, Madison, now 9, and Mackenzie, 8, with an idea: They'd use paint pens to scribble on the bathroom's black walls. They've since created a neon yearbook of notes and drawings.

I am thankful for my family, my friends, my school, Madison wrote. Hope anchors the soul. Hebrews 6:19, Lauren wrote. Go Big! Or take a nap! You didn't get where you are by the path of least resistance, Dave wrote near a drawing of a BMX rider above a ramp. It's Lauren's favorite.

"Dave didn't take his life for granted," Lauren says. "It was work hard, play hard, love with all you are and give to those in need. It was a lifestyle he was trying to instill in our girls."

Throughout his life, Dave Mirra possessed an ability to reach into impossible spaces and create something new. In action sports, this is called progression: pushing to invent and improve upon what exists. In his death, Lauren believes her husband will continue to shape his sport's future.

[​IMG]
    Doctors say late BMX legend Mirra had CTE
    A University of Toronto doctor concluded that BMX legend Dave Mirra suffered from the same chronic brain damage that has afflicted football players. "I couldn't tell the difference," she says.

What moments were the toughest for you?
    I was pregnant with Madison when he lacerated his liver at X Games. It was in practice, and people in the stadium stood up out of panic, and I saw that he didn't get up. Times like that were really hard. But I always knew he would pull through.

How did he view risk? Was he able to verbalize how he balanced risk and reward?
    He worked so many years at balancing it, but he kept it to himself. He seemed fearless to me. I don't think he acknowledged having fear until the girls started to get older and he started to slow down. That's what you do when you have a family and want to be around them more often.

What was hardest for him about retiring from BMX?
    It was his purpose, and he was fulfilling it. There was a void. You go from having two sessions at the warehouse to all of a sudden having an entire day.

Dave picked up rally car racing in 2008 and triathlon in 2013. Did they fill the void?
    Not fully. I don't think anything could.

He talked of a return to BMX. What did you think?
    It made me happy because it made him happy.

ravenrules likes this.
  8. OkbyeEric

OkbyeEric Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is old news. He committed suicide months ago. The only new news is that doctors discovered CTE in his brain.

Sad story. That guy along with Fuzzy Hall got me into BMX as a youth. RIP

9. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    While I acknowledge the existence of cte, am I the only one who thinks the press is massively overplaying its impact on suicides?

I think a lot of it comes down to sad rich guys or former rich guys upset that their glory days have passed them by and their bodies are beaten to mush. With nothing to do, the mind can wander into dark places, especially for men so used to achieving results with force.

Mangofyoself likes this.
  10. Sloppyjoe

Sloppyjoe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He fucking died in February.

Why is this getting dug up?

11. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm proud to say I've never seen a "X-games"

12. redshirt

redshirt Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Thurman Thomas' symptoms seem like more than just going to a dark place because his glory days are over, and he isn't the only guy I've heard of who was way too young to be experiencing stuff you usually associate with Alzheimer's patients.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...g-back-hall-of-fame/czqbrwzwp9gt1rbmcypbtzoev

Butters Stoch likes this.
  13. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
  14. binhphuocngu

Reputations:
    Geezus fuck...It is being reported -TODAY- that medical reports indicated he died of CTE. His brain samples were studied in Toronto.

Tovahund likes this.
  15. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In my youth and into BMX freestyle Dave was the new guy and he was good....crazy how he killed himself

16. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    Gary Puppet shot dead for bumping an old thread?

17. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  18. binhphuocngu

Reputations:
    He did not. I did.

19. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
  20. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold