'Ya think this will result in a lawsuit?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Florida man in coma after e-cigarette explodes in face: family
    BY Nina Golgowski
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 6:17 PM
    • A
    • A
    • A
    Share this URL
    [​IMG] WSVN
    Evan Spahlinger, 21, is in a medically induced coma at a Miami hospital after he was badly burned when his e-cigarette blew up in his mouth.
    A south Florida's man's alternative to smoking literally blew up in his face.

Evan Spahlinger, 21, of Naples is in a medically induced coma after the e-cigarette he was puffing on violently exploded, his sister said.

"I was lying in bed with my 2-year-old and I heard an explosion," Ema Richardson recalled the terrifying burst to CBS Miami.

NEW STUDY DISMISSES E-CIG EFFECT ON QUITTING

The frightened mom said she raced into her brother's room Monday morning, only to find him on the floor, covered from the chest-up in soot.

"I found my brother not breathing with his whole face burned and his neck burned and trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air," she said.

He was rushed to a local hospital before being airlifted for treatment in Miami. There she said they discovered the extent of his gruesome burns which are suspected as linked to the device's lithium battery.

When the device exploded, the mouthpiece shot down his throat and possibly exploded a second time in his lungs, Richardson said, citing doctors.

Though her brother is currently out cold, she said he was able to cough out a few words to her before being given a controlled dose of an anesthetic.

[​IMG] Facebook
    Spahlinger suffered internal and external burns from the explosion, his sister said.
    "He said, 'I'm done.' That's it. That's the only thing he said," she said of his vow to never touch an e-cig again. "Luckily I was here. It was the most traumatic experience I think of my life."

Though rare, the explosion wasn't the first of its kind for the battery-powered device.

Earlier this month a California woman was awarded nearly $2 million after she was badly burned by an exploding e-cigarette in 2013.

In 2014, a 65-year-old British grandmother was left fighting for her life after her oxygen supply blew up as she puffed on an e-cig. That same month, video captured an e-cig exploding in an English pub and nearly igniting a barmaid.

[​IMG] WSVN
    Spahlinger's sister said she found him lying on the ground, with his face and upper chest covered in soot. He was apparently puffing on this e-cig when it exploded.
    On Monday, the Department of Transportation banned the battery-powered portable devices from all airline passengers' checked luggage because of past incidents where they caught fire during transport.

"Fire hazards in flight are particularly dangerous. Banning e-cigarettes from checked bags is a prudent safety measure," they said in a statement.

bdbx18 likes this.
  2. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Ouch!

LaserT and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  3. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    :jj:

Shulda just had a cigarette.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    LaserT, AuntDolly, DuckDong and 2 others like this.
  4. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    And Charlie lives on :jj:

[​IMG]

5. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Special Needs Typist. Gold

Reputations:
    Fucking vapers....

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  6. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Tragic that it didn't kill him

7. bdbx18

bdbx18 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    E-cigs exploding, cellphones catching fire, batteries exploding, carcinogenic processed meat e.g. Yeap, technology is progressing.

8. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    it's nice that they didn't bother to name the type of vape he was using so other people could be more cautious. great reporting! :clap:

9. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    Red Auerbach smoked cigars every day of his life....and he lived to be 89. If it worked for him, it works for me. Fuck e-cigs.

[​IMG]

10. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Those assholes are way more annoying than real smokers

AuntDolly, Anyonenow and check1 like this.
  11. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    People are bunch of fucking babies these days. Smoke or quit. I quit about 15 years ago after smoking at least a pack a day for 10 years. Wasn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

12. SpankSpangler

SpankSpangler Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "
    :spit:

I know it sounds mean to LOL at this, but Jesus Christ!! How fucking bad does someone have to be addicted to nicotine that they have to puff away on e-cigs while wearing an oxygen mask that is hooked up to highly combustible oxygen tanks?

AuntDolly, Homerj123 and Anyonenow like this.
  13. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'm not a vape guy, but I do know that the current generation of vape units rely on the use of relatively new, 'high amp draw' lithium ion battery technology. The manufacturers of these units want the burner element to get as hot as possible, as fast as possible. As such, the much safer standard li-ion rechargeable batts that have been around for years powering our laptops and flashlights - many of which contain a very small integrated 'over-discharge protection' circuit within the body of the battery itself - are poorly suited for this application.

If you are into this silliness, my recommendation is to spring for a top of the line unit that uses a removeable battery which will allow you to purchase your own high quality IMR batteries to be charged in a high quality charger. It's much more of an investment up front, but it can seriously reduce the chances of you getting your face blown off.

14. DeezNutz

DeezNutz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. NiggalissCage

NiggalissCage Well-Known Member

Reputations:

The assholes who use these retarded things are always modifying them, chances are he fucked something up.

16. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    His beard was flammable!:satanfire:

17. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    yes vaping is the safer alternative