Florida man in coma after e-cigarette explodes in face: family BY Nina Golgowski NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 6:17 PM A A A Share this URL WSVN Evan Spahlinger, 21, is in a medically induced coma at a Miami hospital after he was badly burned when his e-cigarette blew up in his mouth. A south Florida's man's alternative to smoking literally blew up in his face. Evan Spahlinger, 21, of Naples is in a medically induced coma after the e-cigarette he was puffing on violently exploded, his sister said. "I was lying in bed with my 2-year-old and I heard an explosion," Ema Richardson recalled the terrifying burst to CBS Miami. NEW STUDY DISMISSES E-CIG EFFECT ON QUITTING The frightened mom said she raced into her brother's room Monday morning, only to find him on the floor, covered from the chest-up in soot. "I found my brother not breathing with his whole face burned and his neck burned and trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air," she said. He was rushed to a local hospital before being airlifted for treatment in Miami. There she said they discovered the extent of his gruesome burns which are suspected as linked to the device's lithium battery. When the device exploded, the mouthpiece shot down his throat and possibly exploded a second time in his lungs, Richardson said, citing doctors. Though her brother is currently out cold, she said he was able to cough out a few words to her before being given a controlled dose of an anesthetic. Facebook Spahlinger suffered internal and external burns from the explosion, his sister said. "He said, 'I'm done.' That's it. That's the only thing he said," she said of his vow to never touch an e-cig again. "Luckily I was here. It was the most traumatic experience I think of my life." Though rare, the explosion wasn't the first of its kind for the battery-powered device. Earlier this month a California woman was awarded nearly $2 million after she was badly burned by an exploding e-cigarette in 2013. In 2014, a 65-year-old British grandmother was left fighting for her life after her oxygen supply blew up as she puffed on an e-cig. That same month, video captured an e-cig exploding in an English pub and nearly igniting a barmaid. WSVN Spahlinger's sister said she found him lying on the ground, with his face and upper chest covered in soot. He was apparently puffing on this e-cig when it exploded. On Monday, the Department of Transportation banned the battery-powered portable devices from all airline passengers' checked luggage because of past incidents where they caught fire during transport. "Fire hazards in flight are particularly dangerous. Banning e-cigarettes from checked bags is a prudent safety measure," they said in a statement.