Yard Sale Question...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Petal, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal A girl in a sea of mults VIP

Reputations:
    Anyone had a yard sale recently? This is a lot of work and sucks... but needs to be done. We are having a neighborhood one in the coming weeks and I have some questions from any Shedders.

1) Did you price items or just let people make offers? I see the latter is listed on a lot of sites these days.

2) If you did price items, how did you decide how to price?

I know this isn't a fun thread for a Friday... :( again, it sucks but we need to clear stuff out.

Thanks.

TeeDonkey, 1Vegasgirl and smichal like this.
  2. Ruffypup

Ruffypup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    abc :grad:

TheMercenary and smichal like this.
  3. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    One way to do it is to have tables marked at a certain price, so everything $1 is on one table etc. Bigger stuff can be individually marked at a bit higher than what you'd settle for so people feel they are getting a deal when the make a lower offer.

babybear and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  4. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i think people like to wheel and deal at yard sales. id put a price on things and let people make you their offers. if you have an item that hasnt sold that you thought should have you can always lower the price.

TeeDonkey, Lester, 1Vegasgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. Petal

Reputations:
    Both awesome ideas! I really like the $1 table idea... let people go crazy there.

Thanks... seriously, much appreciated.

I will drink heavily after this is over. ;)

6. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    My friend has a lot of tag sales. I'm with R.P. Put a price down and people will haggle and you'll find a fair deal..Tough deciding how much to price though. Good Luck!!

7. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Drink heavily before and during, nap after... You'll then have fun with the pedos and soccer moms roaming all over your front lawn.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  8. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I did $1/$5/$10 colored dot stickers.

Then I put specific prices on a 4th colored dot.

Anything that didn't sell was left on the curb for the Craiglist vultures so I took just about anything people offered. Granted if it was something w/some degree of value (say $25) and I get lowballed at $5, I'd just say no thanks. There was too much traffic to bother w/that bottom-feeder haggling.

I blew out most everything in a couple hours. Freed up room in the basement and covered bar money for a trip.

9. Chicken Soda

Chicken Soda Unknown Member

Reputations:
    I priced them slightly higher than I thought it was worth, and posted a "or best offer" sign.

I just sold for whatever quickly, and made money off the volume of it all.

Willy Pfister, smichal and Petal like this.
  10. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    UGH! HATE tag sales, everyone is a gonnif, and they want everything for nothing.....
    people suck, they take shit, they want shopping bags.....
    just take your best items, throw them on Craigslist, take everything else, and donate to salvation or goodwill, and get a credit for next years tax deductions....
    seriously.....

11. Elisa Jane

Elisa Jane Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1. You will be surprised about what people will buy. Often the stuff you think no one wants will be the most desired.

2. Be ready to bargain on any item for sale. When I did yard sales it was to get rid of stuff and not to make big money. If you want to sell something more valuable, use eBay.

3. Size people up and if you think they are just being cheap, stick to your firm price unless you want to be rid of the item. If someone seems really nice and genuinely seems low on funds, take their low offer- it’s a nice thing to do.

4. I would take cash only and if you start making a lot of money, be alert that you don’t get robbed because you were preoccupied.

5. A lot of “professional” yard sale people will come early before your stated time and bug you. Don’t let them intimidate you. Tell them to come back when the yard sale opens and be careful because they want to low ball on prices. They are looking for cheap deals.

Guacamole, TeeDonkey, smichal and 2 others like this.
  12. Petal

Reputations:
    Hey girl.

It's a neighborhood thing... so going to do it this once to see what goes.

I told hubby - anything that goes out to the sale, doesn't come back in. Goodwill says they will do a pick up on Monday, if we put everything in decent size boxes on the porch. I thought that sounded good.

Time will tell... I am sure I will have some stories. o_O

13. Elisa Jane

Reputations:
    It's a great way to get rid of stuff. I wish I had an opportunity to do it! Good luck!

TeeDonkey and Petal like this.
  14. Petal

Reputations:
    Great info...

#1 from above... ain't this the truth??? We had a sale about 15 years ago and the dirtiest and grossest stuff went first. I was shocked.

#5 from above... interesting... good to know!!

Thx again.

TeeDonkey and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  15. Petal

Reputations:
    Hey - where did you advertise? Online with a local paper, Craigslist, or anything like that?

Sounds like you made out like a bandit! That's great.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  16. Elisa Jane

Reputations:
    I live in the DC area and there are a lot of yard sale sharks who read notices in the newspaper and then come out to steal all the best deals. They are the pits. No one really uses the newspaper anymore so I would put up posters around the neighborhood. Make them big and easy to read from a moving car. Give the time and date of course. Remember to take them down or people will show up and bug you after the sale date!

TeeDonkey likes this.
  17. Elisa Jane

Reputations:
    The biggest pain of all is putting price stickers on everything, but at the end of the sale when you have the cash and the stuff is gone it will be worth it.

TeeDonkey likes this.
  18. Mack29

Mack29 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

You hit on one of my pet peeves.
    The assholes that put signs up all over the neighborhood and then don't take them down when the sale is over.
    Take down your signs jerk off.

19. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    What a great idea to have the whole neighborhood participate.

TeeDonkey and Petal like this.
  20. Willy Pfister

Willy Pfister VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

We had one a couple weeks ago. My wife and her mom did most of it. I advised them to price everything for double what they would accept, making it easy to remember what their bottom was. A good rule when selling or buying anything is you will seldom sell above your asking price and you can't buy something for less than your first offer. However, we were pleasantly surprised when they got this inflated price for most of it. I live down south and apparently the bargaining stuff is regional.

They also engaged the people, answering questions and like that.

My wife made some cookies for my 4yo daughter to sell at a little table. Obviously, that wasn't for the money, but my daughter had something to do, made a little dough and it was fun watching her buy a little toy afterwards "all by herself".

It's too late now but we also told some neighbors about it ahead of time, a few set out their crap, so we advertised it as a multi-family deal which I think helped draw traffic.

Expect people outside your house at least 30 minutes early.

If you have a tv to unload, hook it up to a DVD player, on, with a movie playing. I had a cheap flat screen that I paid less than $200 for several years ago and got $50 for it that way.

When it was over, we packed up the remainder and took it to the rescue mission.

I expected the whole thing to be a waste of time but we got rid of tons of clutter and ended up with just over $500 when it was all said and done.

Guacamole, TeeDonkey, smichal and 2 others like this.