News Yelp for people app

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SouthernListen, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Imagine that, rating human beings negative or postive!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/peeple-the-yelp-for-people-app-launches/

Peeple, the notorious "Yelp for people" app, arrives
    [​IMG]
    Peeple, the people-rating app, gets its official launch Monday, March 7.

PEEPLE VIA FACEBOOK
    • Email
    Last Updated Mar 7, 2016 3:53 PM EST

It generated controversy and criticism when word of it first broke back in October, even though Peeple, a people-rating mobile app that's been described as like "Yelp for people," hadn't launched yet. Now, after a number of tweaks to the concept, the people-rating app finally launched today.

[​IMG]
    17 PHOTOS
    Peeple, the new app that's terrifying everyone

Peeple is available to download for free foriPhones or iPads. The app -- which is not affiliated with the popular review site Yelp -- was created by two friends in Calgary, Canada, and allows users to rate other users in three categories: personal, professional, and romantic.

The idea is to provide "a reference check for the people around us," the creators say on their website. "The Peeple app allows you to better choose who you hire, do business with, date, become your neighbours, roommates, landlords/tenants, and watch, teach, and care for your children."

However, the idea of people posting "reviews" of their neighbors, coworkers, dates and others prompted outrage from critics who saw its potential for abuse as an outlet for bullying or cyber revenge. It became a hot topic on social media, where the prolific tweeter Chrissy Teigen wrote, "In an age where both truth and gossip on the Internet can literally ruin lives, this #peeple app is horrible AND scary."

Perhaps in response to that round of criticism last fall, the Peeple app going public today will not allow users to rate others without their permission. Reviews will only be published with the consent of the person being reviewed. A user can also hide his or her negative reviews. In addition, users must post under their real names, to help encourage civility and accountability.

That being said, a planned future paid subscription option -- the "truth license," co-creator Julia Cordray told the Calgary Herald -- will allow users to access every review, even those that are hidden.

[​IMG]
    Play VIDEO
    Backlash against Peeple app that allows users to review humans

Obviously, this future feature will generate plenty of controversy on its own, but for now, the Peeple that is out now is much tamer than what was originally planned. The "truth license" is being planned for an April release, Cordray said.

"If a mom wants to look up a coach for her kids, she can see all the amazing things on that person's profile, but maybe there's some areas of improvement for that person," Cordray told the newspaper. "So, when the mom upgrades to the truth license, she'll be able to see all the recommendations on the back-end that the coach never published in their profile."

On its website, Peeple stresses that it does not want to be used as a platform for attacking others. "We do not tolerate profanity, bullying ... name calling, degrading comments, abuse, derogatory comments, sexual references, racism, legal references, hateful content, sexism, and other parameters" the company says.

Even with adjustments to the current version of the app, social media users have been showing some skepticism.

2. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only matters if you've drank the social media kool aid. I'm Danny Glover.

3. Dave Jones

Dave Jones Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Life was better before smart phones and social media.

Jayla and Rabid Dogman like this.
  4. DDragon

DDragon VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Ive seen what people say on Yelp about their restaurant experiences and holy fuck what a bunch of entitled douchebags. I know South Park roasted these people and they deserve it. It never occurred to me to write a review on my dining out experience. Doing a movie review or video game reviews yeah but this shit is gay.

Jayla likes this.
  5. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    This will end well.

6. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    2 creators are malignant cunts -5 stars

Dave Jones and SouthernListen like this.
  7. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I welcome the reviews for me, but I bet Wiggy and Beff are nervous

Jayla likes this.
  8. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    social media is a trap for fools. esp twitter