You think the old hss could even work today?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BOSCO402, Oct 9, 2015.

1. BOSCO402

BOSCO402 New Member

Reputations:
    fan since 90's now I do hate the new show since prolly 2010. But I doubt any good parts of old show could work in the pc world / radio world today Idk my thought

2. funnymoney

funnymoney Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On terrestrial radio? Absolutely not. On a podcast, yes. I'm not even sure they could get away with the old stuff on SXM now, seems like a lot of corporate self censoring.

Bye You!, LaserT and stash like this.
  3. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anything that was edgy or taboo back then is basically "mainstream" now.

Howard has gone PC, the entertainment biz hasn't. The new Muppet Show isn't even for kids.

mediumpitch likes this.
  4. Rhinosaucerous

Rhinosaucerous Self-hating Millennial

Reputations:
    Given that society is even more sensitive nowadays, I think the show would be marginalized if THSS took on more of its 90s style. It would not have the ability to transcend multiple demographics, however it would attract a limited, albeit passionate audience.

5. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think that's one of the reasons why Howard has struggled so much on SIRIUS, there just isn't anything that shocking anymore. He was able to take advantage of taboos back in the 90's and use that for his comedy, now you can find any crazy shit you want on the internet with a couple of clicks. I also think that's why you see the push by the Stern propaganda machine to have him recongnized as a great interviewer since that skill sort of transcends time and place.

Bye You!, Night Ape, matt1357 and 3 others like this.
  6. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Good point. Perhaps Howard was genius to evolve. I always wondered why no one else has picked up the slack of what used to be. Perhaps the reason is because audiences wouldn't have it. If Jerry Seinfeld is too edgy for college campuses, who would listen to a 1995 style Howard Stern Show today? These things are cyclical though. PC will become boring and someone will push the envelope and make people uneasy to great success.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    LaserT, BOSCO402 and FishySausage like this.
  7. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    no because sim cards

8. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    These days, what was taboo is now accepted commonplace. Homosexuality was a big topic that got Howard a lot of miles. That stuff wouldn't play as taboo today. A well known actor (George Takei) comes on the show and talks about cocks and ass fucking and no one even bats an eye. It was a big deal when Grandpa Al Lewis would come on and get crazy. Today, it would go unnoticed. Jessica Hahn certainly wouldn't get much attention.

Icey and Big Biscuit like this.
  9. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Funny is funny. It probably couldn't be as successful or mainstream but if it's a good show (which it was) it will find an audience.

10. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    People are sick of PC BS and are crying for real, reality based humor.

11. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good question.

Today nothing is shocking, but at the same time political correctness is more prevalent than ever..

Howard is, in some small way, partially responsible for the former, but can't buy in fast enough to the latter.

Seems like the type of folks who even listen to the radio anymore are pantywaist hipsters and all they listen to is NPR..

12. Tracy

Tracy Little Miss Sunshine VIP

Reputations:
    Great points and well said. Couldn't rep again so soon I guess

13. loogaroo

loogaroo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i think any kind of talk radio is a dead format. most podcasts are an hour a week

people have a million other ways to be entertained now.

DiamondGoddess likes this.
  14. Big Bad Booey

Big Bad Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree, a very good question!
    Would love to answer it - but i have way to much booze to consume.

Bye You! and BOSCO402 like this.
  15. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I think Howard worked in the 90's and 00's because it was right for that time.
    I don't think it would work today for the same reason that when you watch "delirious" now or listen to a Sam Kinison set you don't get the laughs it did back then

16. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    The old show wasn't for a mainstream corporate company, Howard himself often said they were picked up around the country by failing stations as a last resort..

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  17. Big Biscuit

Reputations:
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Howard has also hemmed himself in by being PC and not going after A-list celebrity idiocy like he used to. It really makes for a boring show, which is why I maybe listen to about one or two hours a month if that. Hard to imagine years ago that i would turn the dial away from the THSS because it was boring.

Bye You! and Tracy like this.
  18. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Things still to be running like the old days with a lot of Black entertainers.

Droog likes this.
  19. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    His main reason for struggling on Sirius was one that I've brought up many times AND Jackie Marlow mentioned on the dawgshed podcast: the humor was in tiptoeing around the "offensive" content matter. They actually had to be smart in the way they were talking about or describing something. Now they can just say what ever and it doesn't take any real thought or humor to be on the HSS.

The other problem is the fact that there is no ratings book. If he had advertising dollars to deal with, he'd be dead in the water. No one huge would advertise on his show these days because well, they know that no one is actually listening.

20. Big Biscuit

Reputations:
    Exactly, eveyone thought Stern would be great on SIRIUS because he could say "fuck" without getting censored, he even mentioned himself how great it was going to be having the "chains removed". It dumbed down his comedy and made him lazy. In regards to the ratings book, according to Gary, they were number #! in every market he was on in the country! Come on, he's still #1!