Your return to the Breaking Bad universe is now just 2 weeks away

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Jan 26, 2015.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

What you need to know

Better Call Saul on AMC
    Sunday, February 8, at 10 p.m.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...s-not-just-a-joke-but-a-potentially-good-idea

Bob has said you guys were discussing the idea of a Saul spin-off as early as season 3 with him. At what point were you watching him and saying, “There's a show here with this guy”?

Vince Gilligan: It started as a joke. It really did. I've said this a couple times today, and I want to be precise in my language. I should probably not say “started as a joke.” It started as a lark, which is another word for joke, in the writer's room. It started and it really came from the fact that I love working with Bob, just as we love working with really every actor on “Breaking Bad.” But we also loved the character. We love writing for the character. We love putting words in his mouth. And we had so much fun indeed doing that that it started as a lark; we'd come up with some great term or phrase and we'd laugh about it in the writer's room. And then we'd say, “You know, when we're doing the Saul Goodman show we'll be able to blah, blah, blah, blah.” And we made that comment so many times that it started to dawn on us that it wasn't a lark; there was truth to it. It was not just a joke, but a potentially good idea.

Peter Gould: It's funny you bring up Bob, because I remember standing on the set with him on his very first episode and Bob turns to me and says, "You guys are going to kill me off pretty fast, right?" And to this day I don't know whether he was saying that because he was worried he was going to get killed off or more likely because he just couldn't conceive of coming to Albuquerque as a regular thing.

Peter, as the guy who created Saul, how much did you have in your head when you wrote that episode of who he was?

Peter Gould: I did write that episode, and you could say I created him, but everything that came out of that writer's room and everything that comes out of our writer's room is really a group effort. So it's very hard to pin down who knew what. I'll tell you though, it was probably the most difficult episode for me to write out of the whole run of “Breaking Bad,” because I could not tell if the tone was right. And I was so concerned. And if you remember the show up to that point it was pretty serious. I mean, it's serious even with Saul on it, but I was worried it would break the reality, frankly. I was worried it was going to take the whole thing and move it and maybe be too silly in some way. But I think Vince really had a feeling for what he wanted it to be. There were some silly things that we cut out, but I think there was a rightness to it. For instance, in the original version of Saul's office, there was also a (mock-up) of the actual White House in Washington DC and a window in front of it. And at a certain point we had to say maybe that's one thing too many.

Vince Gilligan: I think that was the idea of a very creative production designer. And we did have to put the kibosh on that. I also recall that episode took about five or six weeks to break. That's what you're saying about how hard it was to come up with it. Usually an episode, especially at that point in time, took about two weeks on average to break. This took about three times that. We were really, really stuck and we actually had a shutdown that year because of that, in large part because of that. We had to very meekly call up Sony and AMC and say, “We're out of scripts, and can you give us two weeks?” And that was really embarrassing.

Peter Gould: In fact I remember the last night that we shot in before the shutdown was literally I think the last sequence of that episode, which was Walt and Jesse holding Saul at gunpoint where he says, "Why don't you kill Badger instead of me?" And the wind was blowing and that was the first insight I had into Bob because I'd always admired him. I thought he was so funny. I really knew him from “Mr. Show.” And it was really the most uncomfortable conditions I ever shot in. The wind was blowing; there was sand going everywhere; lights were literally falling over. And on top of that it was freezing cold. And all the Albuquerque based crew suddenly produced like welders glasses to protect their eyes.

Vince Gilligan: They all looked like those Star Wars guys with the giant gum things, the Tusken Raiders..

Peter Gould: That's right. They looked like the Tusken Raiders. But Bob just kept going and he actually seemed to relish it, in a weird way. He said, “No, it helps me. It's good.” And I thought, “Well, wait. This is one unusual cat.”

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...t-a-potentially-good-idea#C5OddDZKcm9MuY2T.99

LaserT, codeine, Ingens and 1 other person like this.
  2. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    :dadance:

LaserT likes this.
  3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
  4. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Probably, but I'm hopeful. There's nothing else on I liked near as much as watching Breaking Bad unfold. It has ruined TV watching for me. I tried to visit past favorites like The Wire and The Sopranos and couldn't get through either. The Sopranos has especially not stood up for me. I sit there now and watch it wondering what the hell had me so interested.

snowdog212, Gunslinger and queerface like this.
  5. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    AfterMash? What the fuck is that? I never even heard of it. It must have lasted 10 minutes. The priest, the fag and the old Dragnet guy? No thanks.

dexterdog and SorryBoff like this.
  6. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    So they're going to remove all of the interesting characters from Breaking Bad, and they just assume people will watch a tangent?

Isn't that like taking the zombies out of The Walking Dead and creating a spinoff about human relationships during the apocalypse?

I really like Odenkirk, but he's best applied as spice, not the main course.

dexterdog likes this.
  7. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    I'm still looking forward to it. Just finished re watching the final season of BB and Saul was awesome.

8. Guacamole

Guacamole Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can't wait!!!!!!

9. chapped

Reputations:
    I love people shit talking a show that has not aired...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Big Lar, snowdog212 and Kilroy like this.
  10. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I assume it is going to blow but I gotta watch it with the hope that I am surprised.

dexterdog likes this.
  11. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Klinger wasn't a fag. The show lasted into season 2. You must never have watched MASH.

SorryBoff likes this.
  12. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah Klinger was no fag, he was just confused about his sexuality, father Mulcahey put him on a strict regimen of conversion therapy and Klinger wasn't even wearing dresses by the time MASH ended.Thats why they stayed close afterwards, the good father was like his AA sponsor, with AA standing for Asshole Abstinence. Duh.

13. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  14. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Cant wait to DVR it.

15. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
  16. chapped

Reputations:
    great to hear... i am avoiding all reviews.. i dont want to spoil anything for me.. this show will have the added benefit of

not having to establish its chrarchers like the 1st season of BB

i am one of those who had trouble getting through the first season of BB but so glad i did

17. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm hoping for the best. It's been a little TV dry spell here lately. I've been watching Shameless but it seems to be heading downhill.
    :bigcry:

chapped likes this.
  18. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Me too! I started watching when people were already into the fourth season and were telling me it was the greatest show ever, but the first season starts pretty slow

19. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Much as I like Odenkirk, I'm more looking forward to seeing Mike Ehrmantraut back from the dead.

20. chapped

Reputations:
    i had a friend just watch the entire show in ONE week
    she has been stuck at home doing work and just discovered binge watching

i told her about BB and that the 1st season is a tad slow but to stick to it
    she said her life has been forever changed

Guacamole and John Mahlin like this.