Your thoughts on the NCAA

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, Apr 1, 2015.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Not the games but the actual NCAA. So today they made Wisconsin nix a hot selling T-Shirt because it "violated NCAA rules". Hayes never saw a dime or even a shirt but the store and school did. So basically the NCAA does not want anyone making money unless they know about it and are getting 75% of it. The rob these kids make money off them and give not a penny back even during career ending injuries. But this is all to "protect the student athlete". All BS.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...ne-of-the-t-shirts-he-inspired-235339814.html

School officials had to yank it off the bookstore's website earlier this week because the compliance department feared the shirt violated NCAA rules.

The inspiration behind the shirt in question was the way Wisconsin forward Nigel Hayes has tested NCAA tournament stenographers, whose job is to transcribe interviews, by intentionally mixing in hard-to-spell words during news conferences.

Reminds me of Kevin Ware. The kid shatters his leg in the NCAA tournament a few years back and right away the NCAA, in conjunction with Louisville Athletic Dept and ADIDAS sold $25 shirts with Kevin Ware's number on the back with the slogan, "Rise the the Occasion". They also made and sold "team warm up" shirts with Wares name on the back. How was this "protecting Kevin Ware"? :rolleyes:

Little gruesome...

[​IMG]

Kevin Ware saw not a dime and not one penny went to his medical bills or will go to his future medical bills. The money went to NCAA, Adidas and to the Louisville school and the coaches and staff.

The crooked NCAA should be replaced and I'm glad Ed O'Bannon took them to court about the ridiculous practices they use to take every dollar of the billions made using these kids names and images in games, stores, tournaments, etc.

GIRLY, SalsMasterShake and ARM like this.
  2. LaserT

Reputations:
    By the way it reminds me of Chris Webber who said he walked in to the school store and saw his Jersey with his name on it selling for over $50 and he didn't even have money in his pocket for food. He said he decided to leave Michigan after that.

3. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    I agree that they're crooked. But I'm bummed that EA longer makes NCAA football and basketball video games.

Richards Dad and Hankjones like this.
  4. LaserT

Reputations:
    Yeah the athletes basically forced an end to NCAA games. The NCAA was using their names and images during college and when they were out of college and they were getting not one penny because they were being "protected". I can't blame them.

They were good games though. EA always did a good job with them.

5. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes, he didn't have money in his pocket. He left his wallet in his SUV that a booster paid for.

joemama likes this.
  6. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    I still play NCAA Basketball '10 on Xbox360 and NCAA Football '06 on PS2.

LaserT likes this.
  7. LaserT

Reputations:
    Don't know if he got a SUV when he was in school. There was scandal about some money though. Plus, if the NCAA is making a billion dollars on him, whats a few bucks?? I guess the top guys at the NCAA making millions a year in salaries and bonuses get a little upset.

Shadoe Stevens likes this.
  8. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have no idea how to solve the disaster that is the NCAA. I'm just waiting to see how they break down payment plans for football players vs women's lacrosse players.

9. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    The ncaa is about to become obsolete when the big football conferences set up their own cartel.

GIRLY, SalsMasterShake and LaserT like this.
  10. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Did you ever watch the ESPN documentary Fab Five? Jalen Rose was pretty candid about it. Here he was, a poor kid, watching everyone buy jerseys with his number on them, and watching coaches make money on shoe contracts and uniform deals while he didn't have enough money to get a slice of pizza after practice. Marketing galore by the NCAA, yet the NCAA didn't give a rat's ass about them beyond making money. I think NCAA football and basketball are close to criminal enterprises. In basketball, they collude with the NBA to become a farm system with the college requirement. Even one and done is lame. If you can play coming out of high school like LeBron and Kobe, why should you have to go to college? Baseball drafts high schoolers all the time. They also fund their own farm system and don't rely on the NCAA. The NFL is full of crap too. Bad enough that kids aren't being paid in college for putting their bodies through hell, but then the rookie cap and contracts that aren't guaranteed await the few who are lucky enough to make it to the pros.

SalsMasterShake, reno and LaserT like this.
  11. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Don't give a rats ass about the subject matter, but was missing you titsy...
    :hug:

LaserT likes this.
  12. LaserT

Reputations:
    Yeah I was saying earlier Webber had no money in his pocket for food but was seeing his $50 Jersey and name being sold. Ridiculous. NCAA could care less about the athletes or "protecting" them. They really are criminal. It's the almighty dollar they want. A lot of students now go to the NBA, NFL, etc as soon as possible.

If you sell my jersey with my name and number on it, it was the majority of the sales. I'm out there playing and risking my career. I'm the draw. End of story.

GIRLY likes this.
  13. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Four eventual professional basketball players—Chris Webber, Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor and Louis Bullock—were discovered to have borrowed a total of $616,000 from Martin. During the investigation, Webber claimed not to have had any financial relationship with Martin, but eventually confessed to taking loans from Martin. He was both fined in the legal system and briefly suspended by the National Basketball Association after performing public service.

Yeah Chris Webber is a terrible example.

14. LaserT

Reputations:
    He's a great example. Him along with tons of others students to this day break the "protection rules" and have to worry about it because they are broke and the NCAA is making millions and millions off of them. They have no money in their pockets to even buy their own name on the back jersey in the school stores.

GIRLY likes this.
  15. Boomer

Boomer Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Reputations:
  16. Droog

Reputations:
    The Fab Five kids created the baggy shorts look. They didn't see a dime of those sales. Just look back at what Duke was wearing and what Michigan was wearing in the NCAA championship game. Duke's shorts were a few inches above their knees, while Michigan's were just below. Soon, that was what everyone was doing. Michigan's basketball uniforms led the nation in sales for several years because of those guys and not one dime went to them. Meanwhile, coaches get millions in salary, have radio shows, and they get money from things like shoe contracts. The players couldn't even be paid to hand out flyers in parking lots during events.

LaserT likes this.
  17. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    If you watch it and support it then you are part of the problem. If folks truly cared then they wouldn't support a criminal enterprise.

It's the same way I feel about the catholic church.......anyone involved is a pedophile or pedo-sympathizer. :c

GIRLY, SalsMasterShake and jimbronie like this.
  18. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Loads of problems with that venal, self serving organization but perhaps the biggest is allowing their coaches to immediately change schools for better offers, yet compelling their "student athletes," many of whom selected that school on the basis of the coaching, to redshirt for a year if they in turn wanted to transfer into another Division 1 school. Patently corrupt, unfair and disingenuous.

GIRLY and SalsMasterShake like this.
  19. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i have no problem with it.
    no one has play any sport in ncaa if they dont want.

u do it for the free schooling, u do it for the chance to make big money at the next level, u do it for fun

Newly OBrien and Birddog like this.
  20. Droog

Reputations:
    So what's your point? Why should kids even have to be tempted by someone like Martin in the first place? Had Webber blown out his knee or tore an achilles tendon during his last game, how much money would he have made in the NBA? The school isn't buying policies against future earnings for the players. Webber was the first overall pick in the draft. What about guys like Jimmy King? He was a major reason the Wolverines were even able to assemble the Fab Five. He never made it in the NBA, yet he was making millions for the NCAA and the University of Michigan.