You've got to be on the payroll to not get your call dumped nowadays

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BeerCanThick, Jul 28, 2014.

1. BeerCanThick

BeerCanThick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Unless the call is prefaced with, "Bobo, you're on the air" your monkey ass is gonna get dumped. Period.
    If you aren't on the payroll, you're getting cut off. Then they'll pretend like, "Oh gee willikers! Phone lines on the fritz again! Why, shuck my corn, caller, we seem to have lost you." Fuckin' phony assholes.

How many calls get dumped and dropped a week? 3 or 4 or 5? What happened to gladiatorial comment, no holds barred, no censorship, battle to the death, No More Bullshit? Howig Stern, The Most Modified Man in Media, has his staff trained to drop and dump mild digs on Beth like they are live hand grenades.

Has there ever been a show so censorious and draconian on the callers? Why would you even bother at this point? You've practically gotta be a CIA agent to get past the screeners, then you get dumped.

2. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I should have made note of it, but listening to an old show, like when John was answering phones, Howie said that the calls were NOT screened. They probably weren't back then.

Now, not only does Howie protect himself and Beth, he protects Robin and the guests.

Back in the day we had 'F Penelope' all of the time (boss's wife), a constant, almost daily caller who would call Robin a fat pig (with ensuing glee in the studio), and the occasional rip on a guest.

You could tell that the frail Wig no longer knows how to handle this stuff as evidenced by the caller who 'back-doored' the iron curtain screeners the other day by telling them he liked Braff then got on the air and slammed him. That's what we call funny, Howard.

You can tell it really shakes him up. He can't flow with it any more unless things go in a perfectly scripted, controlled manner. Lost his touch. Lost his balls.

3. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:
    A couple of years ago, someone posted the office number to the stern show. I called the number and an intern answered. I told them that I was delivering a package but security would not let me up and someone would have to come down to the lobby to retrieve the package. They asked what it was and I told them Life Jackets. I could hear them talking to another person did someone order Life Jackets, there is a man with Life Jackets in the Lobby and they wont let him up. She got back on the phone and said I don't think they are for us, and I told them they were for you and the sinking ship that is the Stern Show. I wish I would have recorded it. She was amused, laughed and hung up.

Wigward, smichal, Tinman and 11 others like this.
  4. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nobody listens to the HSS anymore, can you imagine the WUS?

5. Leaflock

Leaflock Active Member Banned User

Reputations:

Hahahahaha.

I didn't see the payoff until you dropped it.

smichal and BeerCanThick like this.
  6. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Calls were always screened. It is bullshit to say otherwise. What they are screened for has changed over the years though. Back when John was doing it, they were looking for the most interesting calls to make the show better. Now they are screening to let anyone in who might say anything remotely negative about the show.

To think people called in and the interns just took the caller's name and topic and Howard picked up calls randomly is a fallacy. No radio show takes calls without screening them in some way.

BeerCanThick likes this.
  7. Blur

Blur Alumnus

Reputations:
  8. youknew

youknew Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    stop listening then? instead of crying to your internet friends? just a thought

9. Leaflock

Leaflock Active Member Banned User

Reputations:

Of course, but when they went off topic or said something negative to Howard, Howard ran with it, tussled with the caller and, sometimes, made a bit out of it. Now he just runs away and sticks to the safe callers.

Beyond being filler and getting an asskissing topic introduced I can't understand why he even takes phone calls.

kingship, PelicanWig and BeerCanThick like this.
  10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Oh nonononononono, Gary and Hein say the only reason Bobo and the other regulars get on the air is that they wait on hold longer. Out of hundreds of callers, The same half dozen callers happen to get picked up on.

PelicanWig, smichal and BeerCanThick like this.
  11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Your grammar and punctuation make me want to cry.

Mr Pink, smichal and Maddysmom like this.
  12. Maddysmom

Maddysmom Kunt Banned User

Reputations:
    You certainly came to the right place with that opinion! Have some reps cunt!

kingship, Imus O Sternsky and smichal like this.
  13. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard: "I'll put you on hold, and here's Gary."
    Gary on talk box: "Howard... he hung up."

BeerCanThick and smichal like this.
  14. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    Howard always said he would milk a good paying gig til the end. He didn't lie about that.

BeerCanThick and Blur like this.
  15. Maddysmom

Maddysmom Kunt Banned User

Reputations:
    Yep he learned it from Beff.

BeerCanThick, whatsit and Blur like this.
  16. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Suck a dick then? Instead of subjecting the rest of us to your moronic posts? Just a thought, faggot.

Imus O Sternsky and BeerCanThick like this.
  17. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    Why because that is what you want? God forbid anyone points out what a hypocritical faggot Wiggy has become. "Stop listening!!!!! Don't let anyone else know what a hypocritical sell out fuck my hero has become!!!! Stop telling people!!!!!". Fuck off faggot. Wiggy dug his own grave and tossed his own pussy whipped faggot ass into it.

Imus O Sternsky and BeerCanThick like this.
  18. SchwoogieBuzzer

SchwoogieBuzzer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The calls were always screened when I started listening back in the early 90's. A caller would start talking about something and Coward would interrupt and say, "It says here you called to talk about _________."

Also, it was a directive for the screener to alert Coward of any irate caller with a thick foreign accent. "IT DOESN'T MATTA!"

BeerCanThick likes this.
  19. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, yes they were screened in that someone answered the phone and noted what they wanted to talk about so that Howard knew what to expect or could go to calls in a particular flow.

Now, calls are screened for threat level. And they all get pretty butt hurt when someone back doors them.

BeerCanThick likes this.
  20. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    It sucks that they're forcing you to subscribe and/or listen.