You've gotta give it to Bill Joel.....

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Billy Joel breaks Madison Square Garden record
    January 10, 2015 9:18 AM
    By GLENN GAMBOA glenn.gamboa@newsday.com

88 Reprints + -
    [​IMG] Billy Joel, left, takes the stage at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan as Q104’s Jim Kerr commemorates the singer with a new banner bearing his name, the number 13 and the title of “Longest Run of a Single Artist” on Friday, Jan. 9, 2015. Photo Credit: Bruce Gilbert

Billy Joel plans to play monthly shows at Madison Square Garden for as long as the public is interested. We have followed his first year of this groundbreaking music-industry experiment by looking at his shows through a variety of viewpoints — from critics, musicians, celebrities and fans. For the final installment, it’s Newsday pop music writer Glenn Gamboa, who has seen Joel perform seven times in the past year.

Only Billy Joel would think about celebrating a history-making moment and his name being raised to the rafters of Madison Square Garden with a song about fleeting music business success and artistic paranoia.

Of course, that’s exactly what he did Friday night as he broke his own record for the longest run of consecutive sold-out shows with the 13th concert in his current residency. (He will continue to break this record, as he currently has shows at The Garden lined up through October with no end in sight.)

Following a short award presentation by Q104’s Jim Kerr — who told the crowd, “You are participating in a historic, major musical event” — a new banner bearing Joel’s name, the number 13 and the title of “Longest Run of a Single Artist” was hoisted to the rafters.

Joel and his band then launched into “The Entertainer,” with the famous line “I won’t be here in another year, if I don’t stay on the charts” and a litany of still-accurate pitfalls in the music business.

[​IMG]
    “I haven’t been on the charts for twenty-something years,” Joel told the crowd, as he thanked them for still packing his concerts. “I’m a very lucky man. This doesn’t happen to a lot of people.”

In fact, it hasn’t ever happened to anyone else. Joel’s residency at The Garden is the first by an artist in an arena and its over-the-top success is unprecedented.

Though he hasn’t released a pop music album since 1993, Joel’s residency at The Garden was the top-grossing concert series in America last year, pulling in more than $20 million, according to Billboard. His residency was the fourth-biggest draw in the world in 2014, following shows in Japan from Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney, and One Direction’s run in Dublin.

The Friday concert showed why. For his residency, Joel and his band really have hit on the right balance of hits and lesser-known album cuts, as well as a good balance between storytelling and performance.

It was interesting that on his record-breaking night, Joel seemed focused on his fallibility. After a few barely noticeable changes in one song, Joel called the version “the world premiere of ‘This Is the Time’ done that way.” (Maybe he was as shocked as I was that the crowd overwhelmingly asked for that song over his classic “Summer, Highland Falls.”) Following “The Ballad of Billy the Kid,” Joel launched into a list of the song’s factual errors, before ending on an adult joke and the declaration, “Gimme a break! It’s the new year!”

[​IMG]
    Perhaps Joel was also trying to cope with seeming a little under the weather. His voice, especially toward the end of the two-hour-plus show, was not as strong as it has been. Joel even ceded the higher parts of “River of Dreams” to guitarist Mike DelGuidice, though Joel still knocked out a convincing Elvis Presley croon as he inserted “Don’t Be Cruel” into the middle of the song.

Part of Joel’s power is that he has so many ways to entertain a crowd. His voice was lovely in the simple version of the ballad “And So It Goes” and rocking during “Sometimes a Fantasy.” He led the crowd in sing-alongs for the sweet “She’s Always a Woman” and, obviously, “Piano Man.” And he threw a little extra into his solos during “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant” and his choreography during “It’s Still Rock ‘n’ Roll to Me.”

His always-impressive band threw in a little extra, too, offering their leader some breaks as Tommy Byrnes provided a monster guitar solo in “Big Shot,” while Mark Rivera’s saxophone solo helped power “It’s Still Rock ‘n’ Roll to Me.” Carl Fischer’s soaring trumpet solo in “Zanzibar” was one of the night’s highlights.

Through it all, Joel seemed to be savoring the moment. “I have a great job,” he told the crowd. “This is a great job.”

And as the more than 200,000 folks who have experienced Joel’s residency at The Garden can attest, it’s a job well done.

[​IMG]
    SETLIST: Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway) / Pressure / The Entertainer / This Is the Time / Zanzibar / Ballad of Billy the Kid / New York State of Mind / Blonde Over Blue / Movin’ Out / And So It Goes / Allentown / My Life / Sometimes a Fantasy / She’s Always a Woman / Don’t Ask Me Why / River of Dreams / Scenes from an Italian Restaurant / Piano Man // ENCORES: It’s Still Rock ‘n’ Roll to Me / Big Shot / You May Be Right /Only the Good Die Young

2. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Great music.

3. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The guy is bigger than Elvis ever was, probably the Beatles too....He crosses all generations

OV and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  4. Big Bad Booey

Big Bad Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He must be hoarding marbles for a future divorce.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  5. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    He's probably still paying the college coed from Ohio. That marriage lasted a few years. She had a degree in English. What language did she speak before arriving in college?

6. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard knew he would be a star.

Shortwave98 likes this.
  7. Big Bad Booey

Big Bad Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dwarvish?

Nikki likes this.
  8. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard invented Billy Joel , tell em Fred

9. 1Vegasgirl

Reputations:
    When I used to listen to the show, I remember Howard talking about meeting Billy Joel at a party or something. He said when Billy Joel was talking to him, he was so short that it was hard to hear him. Do you remember that?

Turkeyneck and Shortwave98 like this.
  10. 1Vegasgirl

Reputations:
    He could pack the MGM Grand here every night.

Shortwave98 likes this.
  11. Honkey Donkey

Reputations:
    I do . He also called him a little troll

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  12. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    "It's for the fans."

:oy2: :lmao:

[​IMG]

Shortwave98 likes this.
  13. 1Vegasgirl

Reputations:
    It's so hard to believe that I used to like Howard. What an asshole.

14. Honkey Donkey

Reputations:
    W
    we all live and learn . It's good we have this support group for x-fans .

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  15. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    From the time Billy assured me that "Captain Jack would get me high that nite and take me to me to my special island" after I tired of staring at the junkies and the closet queens (portent of Langes and Sterns to come), I knew I was on to someone special and would be for a long time!

Beth Stern and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  16. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    talented and transcends generations.

i wonder how much he got away with paying katie lee....he doesn't appear to be hiding any bizarre wig or plastic surgery secrets.....i'm guessing 10 mil which she probably has invested and lives frugally on the interest. she doesn't appear to be a profligate spender...

babybear and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  17. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    You can't use a word like "profligate" around here unless you're talking about supporting gay causes.

18. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i love me some joel music sometimes, but i wouldnt want to be him, hes kinda ugly and cant get hot chics to stay with him

19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  20. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was at that show on Friday night. Technically he and the band were great. Setlist was good and his voice is still strong. When we left, my wife and I both said we were bored. Just a plain, boring show. I've seen billy a lot of times since the early 90's. Always a great show but its always the same setlist. How many times do I need to hear Piano Man? Scenes? At least he played a few tracks he doesn't always play (Zanzibar, This is the Time, So It Goes, Blonde Over Blue). We decided no more Billy shows, unless its his farewell tour or something.

To be honest, the most entertaining part of the show was this fat chick who sat next to my wife. She came, sat down and took the lid of her beer and somehow spilled some on the people in the row in front of us, so they were pissed. I knew this chick was gonna be a pisser. Then she was talking to my and my wife about how she loves billy, she's from Connecticut, she's 38, blah blah blah. During the show, she gets up to dance and the people behind her asked her to sit down. She wouldn't do it. And the people behind her were young too, probably younger than her. so the longer she stands, the more pissed the people behind her get. And then the insults start coming. They called her fat, called her rude. They accused her of smoking cigarettes, which she wasn't. Some guy yelled "thanks for putting up a wall in front of us!", "We can't see through you!". When billy sang "There's someplace that he'd rather be", the dude behind me yells "She'd rather be at Wendy's!". I got a chuckle out of that. I was hoping the fatty would have turned around and started a physical altercation with the people behind us. That would have been entertaining.

Which made me wonder, they are at a rock and roll concert. You are supposed to stand up, dance, rock out, whatever. Its not like they were old folks in a wheelchair. everyone should have been up anyway. If she's blocking them, they should stand too. not a big deal.

Turkeyneck and Pooh bear like this.