1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody Sous Vide?

Discussion in 'Chez Dawgs' started by BethsZygote, Dec 25, 2018.

1. BethsZygote

BethsZygote Fake Trump Supporter VIP

Reputations:
    Just got a new toy. looking for ideas.

Im smoking a roast for an hour, then im going to cook it at 131F for 8+ hours.

2. Tranquil

Tranquil Decent! VIP

Reputations:
    How did it turn out?

Been using Sous Vide for years now, love it so far.

BethsZygote likes this.
  3. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Big Dick Energy Gold

Reputations:
    Sous vide prime rib.. perfection every time. I have a 20 gallon sous vide a ton of crap at once.

BethsZygote likes this.
  4. BethsZygote

BethsZygote Fake Trump Supporter VIP

Reputations:
    Fired up the charcoal grill. It's nothing special. One of the nicer barrel types. Used a 4" x 8" x 1" stainless steel box smoker box filled with dry hickory chips.

I used a 3lb "bottom roast" I think. $13-$15 dollars total.

Smoked it for about an hour. I also threw 4 or 5 sprigs of rosemary on the grill. I then let it chill overnight in the fridge (no reason, other than I didnt plan on eating for 36hours).

SV with 4 new rosemary sprigs and 3 chopped garlic cloves @ 138F for 12hours.

Pulled it out of water bath, and placed in a cooler for about 30min (just for transport).

It was fucking great. Everyone loved it. It was just about medium. Most of us like our roast beef coldcuts rare, but steak med-rare to medium.

I was thinking next time I would go to 140F. I like my steak med-rare, but prime rib medium. Bottom roast is not prime rib, but the form factor is the same.

Ive got an Anova I think it's listed at 900w. Ill look it up to a meter at some point.

I was using my biggest soup pot, but last night I filled the cooler with water, and cooked some chicken, it's been off for hours, and the water is still warm. I like that.

What is the wattage of your 20gal? Wondering how large of a waterbath I can keep steady..

Tranquil and Tickle Shits like this.
  5. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Big Dick Energy Gold

Reputations:
    It's my electric home brew mash tun. It has a 5500 heat exchanger. I keep telling my wife the next party that we have I'd like to do a huge sous vide cook and toss everything on the grill for a few minutes so I'm not constantly on the grill.

6. Tranquil

Tranquil Decent! VIP

Reputations:

:thumbup2:

Pro tip never use real garlic for SV the flavor is different for some reason, garlic powder works much better.

7. Shine

Shine 2012 rookie of the year VIP

Reputations:
    i want one but am afraid of it

8. Tranquil

Tranquil Decent! VIP

Reputations:
    There is nothing to it. I'm sous viding a NY Strip as I type this. 129° for an hour and a half, then pat it dry and let it sit out while I heat up a cast iron pan with hot oil. Sear for 1 1/2 minutes each side. Perfection.

Shine likes this.