1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody watch "The Americans" on FX?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Kamie, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kamie

Kamie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't remember. I am pretty sure we were on 95, though.

2. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
  3. srricks

srricks Active Member

Reputations:

Keri Russell will always be Felicity too me...

4. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian 2010 OG Gold

Reputations:
    I liked it, I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks, so I hope those fall by the wayside. And I was a little shocked at the explicit nature of the dialogue, "you've nver had a finger up your ass?" :jj:

5. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
    She's 3 years away from 40.

6. pheelios

pheelios Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I just found it on VOD. I'm watching it for the first time now.

7. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
    is it gay & soapy like homeland?

8. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    I'm curious about it. Do they actually speak any Russian or is it that Hollywood horseshit where Russians are speaking American English in Russia?

9. pheelios

Reputations:
    Nobody told me this was set in the Reagan era. Spies wearing Guess Jeans. :facepalm:

10. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Oh shit, I'll tune in just to laugh at the capezios and parachute pants. :jj:

11. pheelios

Reputations:
    It has John Boy Walton in it and a pretty decent Soundtrack too.

12. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Wait. The actor who played John Boy is in the series or the show has flashbacks to the Waltons? :scratch:

13. pheelios

Reputations:
    :spit:
    John Boy is on the show. (Richard Thomas)

14. azman5103

azman5103 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw the first ep....thought it was pretty good. I will watch it again for sure. The actors were all pretty good and I think it has some potential. Decent amount of sex/violence/grittiness for something not on HBO or Showtime.

As far as it being like Homeland...I would say it's better than any episode of Homeland after about the 2/3 point of season 1. The "bad guys" in this show appear to actually use their brains...so they don't send text messages to terrorists from inside the pentagon....crazy I know! There are some pretty annoying kids...but so far, they are not the entire focus of the show like Homeland. I would say the only things Homeland has on The Americans are Mandy Pitinkin and Brody's wife's tits.

Granted its still very early...but IMO "The Americans" seems like it will be very good.

15. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member

Reputations:
    Finally finished it, I liked it too, I just hope that it doesn't take the same path as so many other new shows. They will spend an enormous amount of money to make the first few shows polished and interesting, then the cost cutting kicks in. Like "Touch", it seemed alright for a few shows, then every show after that was trying to pass for New York with laughably obvious L.A. landmarks in the background.

One thing though, I had almost forgotten about the song "Tusk", it's been years since I've heard that song.

16. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Well-Known Member 2010 OG

Reputations:
    Soundtrack is awesome. The opening scene was great.

17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen New phone who dis? VIP

Reputations:
    Sorry, if it doesn't include catfish noodling, mud bogging, catfights, or bar brawls, I don't have room on the DVR for it.

18. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    exactamundo...the storyline is too impossible

19. Winst

Winst VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    If the topics interest you..watch it.....there's enough there in the first episode to make it interesting, watchable and maybe even appealing.

...but don't be so quick to judge the whole series/season based on that very first (pilot) episode.
    They have plenty of room for growth and/or allowing the series to flop/fail.

For what it is..the cast works..and they can always add to the mix with various actors playing various roles episode by episode.
    It's bound to be the kind of show where you'll be seeing lots of new and different faces coming and going within all of the twisted up storylines.

I think that we are going to find that the other episodes to come will be very different from the pilot episode. (..with some obvious similarities.)
    ..and that is usually the case with shows like this that need to introduce so many and so much..and set things up in one pilot/first episode.
    I did like how at the end of the pilot episode they had the woman meeting with the general and he was telling her that from now on
    things will change and that things are going to become amped up..and that much more will be asked of her to accomplish during her
    assigned missions/tasks etc. (..is she up to the job?...will she really not let them down?)
    To me that set a good tone for episodes to come...which is one reason why that scene was placed in there etc.

This show already has lots of layers..and I am sure that many more layers are yet to come and be discovered through the actions
    of the characters. Those layers being scratched and peeled away are at the heart of a show/story like this...so many many secrets
    being pulled and toyed around with..and usually more than one at the same time.

Double lives.
    Double agents.
    Double crosses.

There's plenty there for them to play around with...from the mixes of both facts and fictions...let's sit back and see where
    they intend on taking all of it..and us.

I'm thinking that the general character might turn out to be the lead woman's (real) father. (..whether she actually knows it or not...it won't matter..and it will remain unclear.)
    ...for whatever that might be worth and/or mean to the storyline.
    ..and it would not surprise me if she gets tasked..or possibly takes it upon herself..to take some extreme actions to defend that
    man from his enemies...both foreign and domestic.

There is so much more to all of the various relationships(..and the levels of those relationships.) that remains to become known..or at least brought out to the surface
    a little bit more.

.....bring on episode 2. (..and more of Beeman's wife. :c )

[video=youtube;1WDly1Oc_P4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDly1Oc_P4[/video]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  20. pheelios

Reputations:
    It's on tonight.