1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At Last! Manohla Dargis Is Back & Reviewing Films For The New York Times Today

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Senator Rick, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Guest

Reputations:
    I really love Manohla Dargis's reviews.
    Her writing is almost always better than the films she reviews.
    She's been on hiatus for the past 3 months and it's really sucked for me as I hate almost all of the other film reviewers for the Times.

In today's NYT she reviews I'm Still Here ...the Casey Affleck/Joaquin Phoenix psuedo-documentary about the perils and pitfalls of celebrityhood in these harrowing personality driven daze.
    She also writes a compelling review of a new French film, Hideaway (Le Refuge) by director Francois Ozon about a junkie pregnant girl whose lover od's during the first 15 minutes of the film.
    I have no intention of ever watching either film, but I sure the hell love Manohla Dargis' writing.

Sidenote -A. O. Scott reviews a new documentary out about Harry Nilsson that I actually will watch eventually: Who Is Harry Nilsson? (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him?).