1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entertainment Fuck it, I'm making an ART thread

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by zoben, Dec 26, 2018.

1. hugh jasol

hugh jasol Δ VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Steve Leialoha (Marvel artist) original art from 1982

3E095D18-F036-492D-B6CF-A7AB49CC6602.jpeg

2. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Very nice! Do you own that?

hugh jasol likes this.
  3. hugh jasol

hugh jasol Δ VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Outbid!

Caomhan and zoben like this.
  4. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ah crap! I got some original comic art back in the day on eBay, like in 2003 or something. Just curious. I got like a Todd MacFarlane page from his run on The Incredible Hulk. It got a bit damaged in a fire at my workplace then, I should see if it's still worth anything.

hugh jasol likes this.
  5. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    humble brag. I have a little talent for art and really worked at it in my youth. My Dad can paint portraits and draw realistic hands. I on the other hand could ape Ralph Snart comic books and that's about as far as I progressed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Mcfarlane was my hero as a kid. Loved his Black Spider man.

[​IMG]

7. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I loved him too. When I got older I could see that he kind of had a lack of foundation in terms of anatomy, but his revolutionary style definitely made the biggest splash in comic art since Kirby. I've got a lot of comics signed by him from back in the older comicon days (I went to the Chicago ones), when they were basically all about comics and not just pop culture as a whole. Got Spawn 1, 2, and 4 signed, as well as Hulk 340, the first one when he inked his own pencils and his awesome details and dynamics began to show.

8. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Two paintings / drawings I made back in about 2005 - 2006

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FrancesTheMute

FrancesTheMute Crap! Don't let the bunnies out!

Reputations:
    You nailed it in commenting on it....making it symmetrical was a PITA and I still haven't figured out what to put in the middle. I thought about drawing a tree in the center at one point, but trees are a bit played out.

One of my downfalls as an artist is that I tend to be too derivative and unoriginal. :nocheer:

Your Mucha drawing is gorgeous. I can't tell you enough that you are truly gifted.

zoben and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  10. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thank you :) You are truly gifted as well! I love your contributions to this lil ol' thread.

I know how it can be to figure out what to put in an ornate framing design if you work on that part first. Since I color my illustrations digitally, I also sometime cobble together some elements. Like this frame thing I did, I combined with a drawing I did at a comic convention of my depiction of Poison Ivy. Then I changed the flower bloom I had drawn on her finger into a weed leaf, did some lettering, and boom! Cover art for a bitchin' stoner blues band from Australia.

[​IMG]

Regarding the middle of your drawing, I'm not one to make too many suggestions, but what do you like to draw? People? Animals? You could do a portrait, stylized or otherwise, of someone you admire, or a loved one, or a family pet. Me, I like drawing hands a lot for some reason so I like hand-based illustrations at times. You could try something like that, like a crop of two people holding hands, or a person with cupped hands holding a bird or plant or something. Those are a bit trite I suppose, but ideas to start with mebbe :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. FrancesTheMute

Reputations:
    You've made album art??? That's amazing! My friend from high school does it professionally now. I'm jealous of him, but also glad for him. He was always a nice person and incredibly talented. He's only started to get notoriety in the past few years(we are in our late 30's), he's put in so much work without coming from a well-connected background, and had exercised constant focus. He's done album art for an Aussie band too, Tame Impala.

To answer your question, I enjoy drawing animals. I did a velvet painting of my BFF's cat and it proudly hangs in her house amongst her outsider art collection. I just feel like I am most successful when I tackle drawing and painting them.

I may cut that drawing out of my book and use it for some sort of mixed medium project.

I admire(among all the many other things) the fact that you enjoy drawing one of the most difficult things for an artist to draw.

Tesla, zoben and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  12. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Animals are always fun to draw. I don't find too many things not fun to draw, except for really technical and precise engineering-type content like automobiles. I do some 3D modeling though and I like that kind of precision when it's assisted by technology. My illustration is more organic.

I'm jealous of your friend too! :) I've done a good many album covers by now but nobody who is even remotely "famous." It's super hard to break into that scene. I'm getting a good name in the stoner rock / doom / psych scene though and am getting progressively larger projects. I'd like to be doing covers for like High On Fire and Mastodon though.

Hands are not difficult for me to draw now because I've drawn them thousands of times. Easiest model to use, they're right in front of you all the time! The only weirdness is that since I use my hands for reference at times, in my art pieces they can look sort of strange because I'm double-jointed in all my fingers.

13. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Like DVNE from Scotland is awesome doom/sludge/prog. Did their cover a few years ago:

14. HowardsPrenup

HowardsPrenup Wakeup. Work. Workout. Partake.

Reputations:
    YES I used to own a couple issues!! Far out.

15. FrancesTheMute

Reputations:
    Keep working at it(absolutely no doubt that you are), my high school buddy was doing art for gig fliers, 7 inches, and local band albums for several years before he finally broke out. A few underground album covers piqued the interest of a more widespread underground artist, which in turn piqued the interest of Tame Impala, which in turn piqued the interest of a major pop star, etc, etc, etc.

I think one of the most important ethos of art is to keep at it. I don't practice what I preach, but I know that so many others have found their voice, joy, and sometimes success by never putting their natural talents aside.

zoben, IfTheyOnlyKnew and Penelope like this.
  16. FrancesTheMute

Reputations:
    In the spirit of sharing, here's a small-scale drawing I did, 1 inch by 1 inch in actual size, for incorporation of a mixed medium thing...

Wee Cowboy.JPG

17. hugh jasol

hugh jasol Δ VIP Gold

Reputations:
    One of my current fav artists, Mike Mayhew (Mike Mayhew Studios on IG)

Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey

560EA0FE-EC59-4C25-B3A5-AE0083C88C99.jpeg

IfTheyOnlyKnew and zoben like this.
  18. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Very nice! Skillful work, not my cup of tea so much since I don't dig realism as much as stylized (like, REALLY stylized) illustrations. My favorites are guys like Bill Sienkiewicz, Moebius, really large list actually. Most of the Image guys back in the day. But Sienkiewicz is a monster, fuckin LOVED his take on Daredevil, especially in "Love and War":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mean, fuck, look at Kingpin! haha

[​IMG]

IfTheyOnlyKnew and hugh jasol like this.
  19. hugh jasol

hugh jasol Δ VIP Gold

Reputations:
    One of the reasons I used to buy Heavy Metal Mag back in the day was for the art by Moebius (and titties). My fav of Bills was his Moon Knight work in the Hulk Magazine back in the 70’s.

529058DC-FDAF-4189-8F58-7B85EB8FBC8D.jpeg 8B9E6EC5-16B2-4056-8FAD-C6D5EB1308A0.png 8DF7B69F-42F1-48F8-9269-AA95F4F4BF83.jpeg

zoben and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  20. zoben

zoben Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like relative realism though. Here's a bit of the breadth of styles I like to touch upon. Pencil drawing I just did from an old-ass photograph of my girlfriend as a baby with her mom:

[​IMG]

..........and an image of a fucked-up rooster/turkey monster creature with a schlong for a face and balls for its waddle, lmao. NSFW!

[​IMG]

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.