1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IPhone 11..here we go again

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rocks, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Agree. They have a big launch where they unveil a few added features and act like it’s something special. It ends up being a major letdown.

2. redshirt

redshirt VIP Extreme VIP Gold

Reputations:
    "Glass back", so you need a case. I want a phone where I can use it out of the box, no case, without fear of breaking it should I drop it from 6ft or less. Anyway, that's not just Apple, but most manufacturers of flagship phones who use glass backs. Motorola had a couple of phones with shatterproof screens, but for whatever reason they didn't catch on.

pdx1138 likes this.
  3. Lotus notes

Lotus notes Member

Reputations:

That’s a good question

MONK, pdx1138 and Mr Fantastic like this.
  4. Lagersolut

Lagersolut VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm still rocking a 6s plus - thinking of upgrading later this year or next, it's only a 16 gig phone 14 used . I'd like more storage and better pictures ....the X blows mine out of the water on picture quality . Thought about trying a Samsung but like was said earlier, when I find something that works I don't like to change ....and my Iphone has worked perfect .

5. walleyeslayer2

walleyeslayer2 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My phone got smashed today, heard this on the radio

Snort and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  6. walleyeslayer2

walleyeslayer2 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I guess the new one has 3 lenses. I have no idea what that means though

GoshGeeGolly and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  7. tempetoro

tempetoro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I refuse to finance a phone so I just buy a used A grade phone that works looks and runs brand new off ebay. When I get tired of it after a year or two I buy a new "used" phone. I'm on a samsung 8+ for the past year and have absolutely zero complaints. It's so cheap to go this way I dont need insurance or even a screen protector.

In another year I'll probably be able to grab a 10+ for around 250 when the 12s or whatever come out. Also over the past 5 years there is practically zero noticiable difference in performance or features between all brands and platforms. Shit is all about marketing and keeping up with the Jones'. Dont be a rube people.

8. AlCacc

AlCacc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Come on, you don't want and need to take Slofies, brah?

9. jake206

jake206 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Same

10. Droog

Reputations:
    I really, really do,........not really. My main complaint about iPhone is iOS feels antiquated. So is Android for that matter. I really liked what Microsoft had going on with Windows Phone. They cane to the table too late and the hardware just couldn’t keep up with other premium phones.

11. redshirt

redshirt VIP Extreme VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I thought Microsoft's hardware was fine, the system ran really snappy, even on low end hardware, and I think they came to market with a 41mp camera in 2013, but unfortunately app support was terrible. Google must have felt threatened by it, because they gave it absolutely zero support, so any google app integration like Google Chrome, Voice, Youtube, Maps, etc was hodgepodged together by third party app developers, in some cases violating Google's API's, and forced off MS' app store. Anyway, I liked it too, since I've been using an iphone for work for several years, and it's fast and smooth, but feels so vanilla it hurts, and the way it handles notifications is an abomination in 2019.

Droog likes this.
  12. Snort

Snort Beep beep, Richie. Gold

Reputations:
    It means they charge you triple.

Rocks, IfTheyOnlyKnew and Josey Wales like this.
  13. Droog

Reputations:
    Decent screens on those Nokia’s and some competitive cameras, but heavy cameras and battery life wasn’t great. There did seem to be backlash against Microsoft. I think one social media company (Snapchat?) vowed to never make a windows phone app. Even popular games were really slow to develop for the platform. Why? Porting over wasn’t that difficult. Its integration to Microsoft’s servers was spectacular. From an IT standpoint, Windows Phone made all the sense in the world. I loved the interface. It didn’t use typical icons. Live tiles were cool. Operation was intuitive. At the time, Android still was scrolling all jittery, but Windows Phone moved as smoothly as iPhone. The Windows 10 version should have been a hit but Microsoft gave no effort toward it. With mobile being so important, I don’t understand why Microsoft didn’t do more to make it work. If they had to pay developers to make products for their platform, they should have. The Surface Pro is a great product, but the truth is, it (and the Surface Go) would be even more popular if they had a proper mobile ecosystem. Money spent on Windows Phone would have been made up. They spent a lot, but didn’t spend where it really mattered.

redshirt likes this.
  14. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Just curious, what kind of price difference are you paying between slightly used and when those phones were new?

I ask because I recently read an article that the new mid-range, mid budget phones have really closed the gap with their premium counterparts. So I replaced my wife's Galaxy S7 with one of the new mid-range, mid-budget Galaxy A50s. The A50 performs better than her S7, she loves it, and it was several hundred $$$ cheaper than the new S10.

I intend to hang on to my Galaxy S9 for several more years, but whenever it craps out, I'm not replacing it with a top of the line anything.

15. tempetoro

tempetoro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I usually pay around 250 for an A to B+ stock phone. My buddy I grew up with makes a great living buying 1000s of broken phones and refurbishing them. His biggest contract is Best Buy. He doesnt even use the latest and greatest phone. Even when you go through big box insurance plans for phones you're just getting a 3rd party refurbished phone. It's not even through the manufacturer.
    Anyway I need to use Verizon to get coverage where I live. He only works on Sprint and AT and T phone so he suggested an Ebay store named bidallies. Thats who I have used the past 5 years and never been disappointed.

Samurai likes this.
  16. Snort

Reputations:
    Who needs a new charger?

IfTheyOnlyKnew and SternsEgo like this.
  17. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Edit: Spelling. Gold

Reputations:

leave it to the Japanese to come up something like this.

18. Stu Blumpkin

Stu Blumpkin VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Always stay behind one generation. I just got a new Xr and upgraded my 4s. got over $250 off the phone. They definitely fuck around with the phone as it gets older with the speed and connectivity. I would love to keep my old phone but it is time for it to go to the big Apple store in the sky.

19. Snort

Reputations:
    Had my galaxy for a couple years. Still working good. :yay:

20. Stu Blumpkin

Stu Blumpkin VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I've had multiple, supposedly unbiased people tell me that transition between Android and Apple is a pain in the ass. I am willing to try an alternative if its not too much hassle

SternsEgo and Snort like this.