1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is constant dissatisfaction normal at work?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pussy Tendon, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Okay, motherfucker! Gold

Reputations:
    I understand having bad days... maybe even bad weeks or months. But is having a bad job experience constantly a normal thing? I’m absolutely miserable, I can’t get done what I want to get done. Every day is focused on the latest fire of the day, there’s no opportunity to work strategy or long-term planning.

Is it all shit? For everyone? It’s affecting my health and well-being. I’d never quit a job without a new one... maybe it’s time to start looking. Been where I am over 10 years - starting over with no seniority will suck.

2. A Succulent Chinese Meal

A Succulent Chinese Meal Welcome to my underground lair.

Reputations:
    What do you do?

3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It’s not normal. I’m about noine months in at a new job that I actually like and it makes a difference in all areas of your life. I’ll elaborate when I have more time later if you want.

4. Pussy Tendon

Reputations:
    I am a middle manager in a company that deals in technology. I miss the days of when I was a technical person and could just deal with the computers... they’re predictable at least.

5. Pussy Tendon

Reputations:
    Please, I’d really like to hear about it.

Turbongr likes this.
  6. newcastlefan

newcastlefan Banned VIP

Reputations:
    i think it is normal to find faults with situations. Some of us are rewarded to find things that can be done better: we are embracing automation at my employer and the more things i note that can be done better by automating the tasks, the more bonus I earn.

7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sorry @Pussy Tendon , didn't notice you posted again.

I was at a job for about 12 years that I liked at first but started to not like, especially in the last few years it went downhill.

After being at the new place for a little while now I notice I'm generally a little happier, even outside work. I laugh a little easier and I don't take a deep breath and sigh after I start my car in the morning anymore.
    The days go by quicker because I don't watch the clock so much anymore plus my mind is more occupied by my job during the day because I'm planning what I'll do next, because I have some input here. They don't say "no can't afford that" here so much.

Steve Jobs said "Your work is going to fill up a large part of your life. The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work, and the only way to do great work is to love what you do."

I think he must be right because although I can't say I "love" my job I do like it a lot and it's made a small difference.

Pussy Tendon likes this.
  8. Pussy Tendon

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input. Things are still fucked up, but my options are poor unless I want 100% travel, and I’m not game for that. Yet! :)