1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entertainment True Detective Season 3 (2019) Official Trailer

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jan 12, 2019.

1. aspartame

aspartame Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This season was a piece of shit IMO. Acting was incredible, but the story was complete trash.

I'm convinced now season 1 was nothing more than a fluke.

2. Beefus and Wigward lies

Beefus and Wigward lies Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    True.
    Even season 1 rushed the ending. The cinematography and visuals saved it for sure.

The reveals could have been placed better episodically throughout season 3 and if they wanted to put a bow on it, they should have done it w less breakneck speed to the finale.
    Maybe thats what they think the style of the seasons should be as a hallmark of TD???
    Plodding dread and then a mad dash to the finish.

aspartame likes this.
  3. looptax

looptax VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I really liked the final image, Haze disappearing into the jungle. But Christ on a stick that 10-minute monologue-exposition-flashback. Barely any of that shit had anything to do with the investigative process that happened this season -- it's like all their work (and thus ours) in the preceding 7 episodes was fucking irrelevant. The boy hit his head while they were playing forest-house with Ms. Hoyt, who we didn't even know existed prior to this episode? And the sister just smilingly helped bury her dead brother in the cave, because lithium? That's it?

So many red herrings:

- WHY was the security guy willing to DIE (after likely going to Vegas to kill the real-mom & possibly killing the father) to keep this dumb Hoyt family "secret?"
    - WHY did Haze's son & daughter-in-law act so sketchy at the dinner table in episode 2 when Haze asked when his daughter was arriving? It was played like she was dead, which was only compounded by the college-drop-off-last-goodbye in episode 7.
    - WHY were notes being passed between the hole in the wall in the kids' house?
    - WHY did the one-eyed guy buy a DOZEN creepy wicker-dolls from the church sale when a normal Barbie would have sufficed?
    - WHY did the father of the missing kids have to be gay? WHY did the security guy compliment Haze's body flirtatiously at the chicken plant?
    - WHY is the interviewer even in this season besides exposition? Poof, she was never heard from again.
    - Why did one-eye freak out at Haze's wife at the public bookreading and then disappear if he wanted the story known all along?
    - Why did the young nun have a cross-like birth mark/AIDS lesion on her eye during the old men's visit, but then no such mark in the let's-keep-Mary's-secret/fake-her-death flashback?

WHHHYYYYY. I'm sure I'm missing a gazillion.

WillyBest, thos19, Skippy and 3 others like this.
  4. 3bigsparky

3bigsparky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i'm glad i'm not the only one about her. what a sexy lady.

5. 3bigsparky

3bigsparky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    two big thumbs up from my house. couldn't wait for each episode to come on. great acting.

6. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The biggest one is what happened to Amelia (Hays' wife)?

looptax likes this.
  7. looptax

looptax VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    A.k.a. the ghost who solved in one dream sequence what the two detectives couldn't solve in 30 years.

8. Beefus and Wigward lies

Beefus and Wigward lies Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On his Instagram account, True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto revealed the answers to these questions. Amelia died in her sleep, peacefully, in 2013; she and Wayne were planning a trip around the world at the time. Becca and Wayne never had a falling out; they were both reserved people, and Amelia was the one who was better at staying in touch. Pizzolatto also expressed hope that one day, these deleted scenes would be available on a DVD release.

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/true-detective-season-3-finale-theories-we-should-/2900-2593/6/

9. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Dumbest answer ever. That could have been answered in dialogue without extending time.

10. Snort

Snort Beep beep, Richie. VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck that guy. Wonder who he stole the season 1 script from as I'm convinced he doesn't have the talent to have written it.

11. agnes

agnes Big Sexy Gold

Reputations:
    Season one was stolen from the book the conspiracy against the human race. The rust stuff at least

F Timmy, Snort and HeadNodsAlaArtie83 like this.
  12. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I am unfulfilled. :fil:

13. Snort

Snort Beep beep, Richie. VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Rust was awesome but woody was too and the case was great. Wtf happened

Buckhorn and agnes like this.
  14. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Apparently it was actually filmed for a scene...so there was no need for any added dialogue.

That scene appears to have been cut for time...and they decided to just leave it as is.
    They mentioned earlier on that she was no longer around...kind of hinting that she was gone/dead.

I have no real problem with them not fully explaining her death and just hinting at it.
    Would I have liked to know the full details?...yes....was it required?...not really...the story
    played out just the same.

I had a feeling that the producers would make it known after the fact...since so many viewers
    would be wondering and asking....and that is exactly what they have now done.

Should it have been made know in the story?...maybe...probably.
    Was it needed?.......not really.....IMO..the hints of her no longer being around were enough...and so long
    as her death had nothing to do with any foul play related to the case.

ALTHOUGH....her being dead does play into the whole story as far as Hays seeing/hearing/imagining her.

It could be mentioned that they left the death scene out..in part...just so that any interested viewers
    would have to view the "after products" if they wanted to view that death scene.
    BTW....it probably would have meant introducing yet another different "time" aspect into the
    already time confusing story.
    (...although that didn't seem to matter too much as far as the college drop off scene....and I think that there may have been one other scene from a different time....not including the ending scene of
    Hays walking off in to jungle.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  15. looptax

looptax VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Uh, that's not how this works. It's either in the show or it's not -- you don't get to conveniently fill in the gaping holes on Instagram after to deflect criticism.

"Dad, why did you never tell me you loved me when I was growing up?" "Son, I did: it's in a Instagram thread."

16. looptax

looptax VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I don't know: In a show about SOLVING MURDERS, where the FAMILY HAS JUST BEEN THREATENED BY THE VILLAIN(S), I have a problem with it. She was hated by: the Hoyt family, the one-eyed guy, the police department, and even Haze at times, and had continually put herself in the line of fire for her book -- I think it's only natural to want to know what the hell happened to her. To say nothing of the fact the present-day family never mentions *anything* about her, and she then suddenly appears in a vision and "solves" the whole crime as a maybe-ghost?

We're missing some essential connective tissue there.

WillyBest, Buckhorn and LostMarboes like this.
  17. Winst

Reputations:
    He was angry at her for making money off of the missing girl and the related story.

He was looking for the girl.
    He felt that in some way her book was putting the girl in danger.
    He wanted a quiet/private investigation...and not a big public/popular book type of situation.

Crazy Jerry and F Timmy like this.
  18. Winst

Reputations:
    It was intended to be in the show and was later cut out. (..for whatever reason(s)).
    That type of stuff happens.

The story plays out the same either way. (...basically.)

Who knows....maybe the story plays out differently...maybe emotionally....if the death scene parts were left in.
    ...and that may have been yet another reason for why they may have been cut out.

19. Winst

Reputations:
    He was not "willing" to die.
    He was willing to say nearly anything that might have helped him to get himself out of that position that
    they put him into.

He tricked them and tried to fight.

Maybe he was willing to die....if there was no other way out.
    He knew what he had done...maybe he had some sense of guilt/remorse...and maybe he was willing to
    accept what may have been coming his way....if he had no other way out.

The Hoyt family secrets were also some of his own.
    It is possible that he did some of those things without the Hoyt's knowledge or approval.
    He may have been acting on his own...out of loyalty and/or greed...and also as part of his own personal head games.

20. Winst

Reputations:
    IMO..she was not appearing as a "ghost".
    That was Hays's head playing games with Hays' head.

Although all of that type of stuff is open to all sorts of possible discussions/debates.

IMO....he started seeing her after starting to read her book.
    So Hays was starting to hear her words floating around within the thoughts in his head.
    He was starting to have a mixing of his ways of thinking and her ways of thinking going on
    within his imaginations.
    They were his own thoughts being "pushed" through her ways of seeing and thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    D.A. Freccia: You're a pretty smart fella.

Joe Moore: Ah, not that smart.

D.A. Freccia: [If] you're not that smart, how'd you figure it out?

Joe Moore: I tried to imagine a fella smarter than myself. Then I tried to think, "what would he do?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~