1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misc. Where were you on 9/11/01

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BennyMuso, Sep 11, 2019.

1. BennyMuso

BennyMuso Limey MBE VIP

Reputations:
    I was at home watching it all unfold on TV.

RIP the fallen.

Spongebil, babybear, zman and 4 others like this.
  2. Pig

Pig Fat Happy Old Pig Gold

Reputations:
    I was putting shingles on a roof.
    Can still remember that day distinctly.

SternsEgo, DarkFriday, zman and 2 others like this.
  3. downtheshoreDom

downtheshoreDom You Trãsh

Reputations:
    surfing.

waves were great all up and down the east coast that morning

the pic from sandy hook nj that made surfer mag cover that Oct w/the towers burning in the back ground is haunting to this day

4. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    At work talking with someone on the phone. He said “do you have a TV in your office? If so you should turn it on now”.

DarkFriday, ljc, Pig and 2 others like this.
  5. Ba Ba Boolio

Ba Ba Boolio VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Downtown Columbus, they evacuated all the buildings after the second tower fell.

I will never forget how quiet it was as thousands of people walked the streets headed for their cars, eerily quiet.

Weed, DarkFriday, Pig and 2 others like this.
  6. Stu Blumpkin

Stu Blumpkin VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Somehow I feel like I am repeating myself from last week (maybe because its only been a week since we had this thread). I came home a day earlier on Mon from a trip (my wife and 2 baby daughters were suppose to fly Tues). I worked in Brooklyn at the time. Usually I met my business partner on the top floor of Long Island College Hospital on Tuesday's. I was getting a late start driving in when at about 8:50 am I heard the tower was hit. I knew that traffic was going to be a standstill so I turned around in time to see the 2nd plane hit the bld. from NJ. I watched the whole thing from across the river. I was told later that wreckage from the planes were actually found on the parking garage (which has to be several miles away from Brooklyn).

This is always a somber day for me. I lost multiple friends and neighbors that day and a lot more that were damaged by the experience. A fucking tragic day.

DarkFriday, Stork, Dan and 4 others like this.
  7. Slice

Slice Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I was listening to The Stern Show

8. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sandy Hook in the foreground. My view from the big hills to the west.

[​IMG]

Turbongr, DarkFriday, josephJ and 5 others like this.
  9. GoshGeeGolly

GoshGeeGolly VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Home. Having a real problem connecting to the internet close to 9AM. Then I found out why. :(

DarkFriday, babybear, Pig and 3 others like this.
  10. agnes

agnes Big Sexy Gold

Reputations:
    School. I remember the Spanish teacher gave no fucks and continued teaching Spanish like it was a normal day

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    LawyerLarry, babybear, ljc and 4 others like this.
  11. BennyMuso

BennyMuso Limey MBE VIP

Reputations:
    Europeans. :facepalm:

12. Leather Head

Leather Head Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Making calls to area fire departments to see if they could staff apparatus to send downstate. It never came to that, but every department committed personnel and equipment if requested.

FTM-PTB-RFB

Nunz, DarkFriday, potroast and 3 others like this.
  13. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I was at work, and had no idea what was going on. The father of one of my students came up to school to pull him out of class. I asked him what was going on, I thought maybe the boy had a doctor appointment or something. His father looked at me like I was crazy and told me that a plane had hit the first tower.

He clearly told the office the same thing because they must’ve turned a television on somewhere. A few more parents came up and got their kids over the next hour or so. In the meantime, we all tried to get a TV or radio on in our rooms to listen to what was going on. There were hardly any kids in class the next day.

Tesla, Weed, DarkFriday and 5 others like this.
  14. Pig

Pig Fat Happy Old Pig Gold

Reputations:
    So was I while working

zman and BennyMuso like this.
  15. Roger Waters

Roger Waters VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Me too, at home. Howard broke the news and BaBa Booey said he hoped it wasn't one of those terrorist attacks.

16. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I lived and worked in Manhattan. I was working at my office on 53rd Street and 6th Avenue. I could never get radio reception in my office so i could not listen to Howard on 92.3 Krock. I was listening to an internet broadcast of WBAB from long island when the DJs announced a plane hit the WTC. i figured it was a small plane got mixed up and hit the building. They reported another plane hit and then we knew something bad was going down. There were some TV's in the office that they put on so we could see what has happening. I went down to smoke a cigarette and i was able to see the smoke plume all the way up in Midtown Manhattan. I left work around 12 and had to walk back to the upper east side since the subway was not running. It was weird walking through the city. Businesses closed up shop but it was quiet around Central Park.

I got home and called some folks i knew were downtown to make sure they were ok. They were. I spent the rest of the day holed up in a bar with a good friend, drinking and watching the carnage on tv and wondering WTF was happening to our world. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) lived across the street from the United Nations. She wanted me to come down to her but i thought the UN might be a target and told her I'm not going down to that area.

The next day, i had a dentist appt that didn't cancel, so i walked to the office. the city was eerily quiet. no traffic at all. Barely any cars on the street. i never saw the city like that. I went in to work but barely anyone was there as the folks who lived outside Manhattan could not get in. So they sent us home. I remember either the 13th or the 14th, walking around the upper east side and hearing a crazy lour noise. i looked up and a fighter jet was flying overhead, i guess keeping an eye on things.

Tigger Please, DarkFriday and zman like this.
  17. SRD

SRD Active Member

Reputations:
    I was laid off so i was listening to stern, filling out apps online and turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit, about an two hours later I found out my brother in law was on the second plane.
    Fucked up day that was.

18. EarthDawgFred

EarthDawgFred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I remember walking out of my apartment building that morning and being stunned by how beautiful of a day it was. It was warm, sunny, and not a cloud in the sky. It was a bright blue that was just picture-perfect.

Got into my car for my half-hour drive into downtown Detroit for work. Halfway there, I was going over the Rouge River bridge over I-75 when I popped in a CD--U2's "Rattle & Hum". The first track started . . . "This is a song that Charles Manson stole from the Beatles . . . We're stealing it back . . ." Helter Skelter.

I listened to the CD the whole rest of way, so I didn't hear any news reports at all. The first I heard about it was after I got to the office and one of my coworkers got a call from her boyfriend to tell her about the two planes that had hit the World Trade Center.

We worked for another 2-3 hours, but it was tough to get anything done. We watched the TV, and there were still at least one plane that wasn't accounted for. They let us go home around 11:30, and I just spent the afternoon with my family at my parents' house.

BennyMuso likes this.
  19. Stu Blumpkin

Stu Blumpkin VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I was told by someone very close to me (in the FDNY) that they got downtown as the towers were burning. His shift ended earlier when he got the message for all hands on deck. He was at the base of the tower waiting for orders when the bodies started to drop. He actually witnessed a fatality of someone killed by a falling from the north tower

Tigger Please and BennyMuso like this.
  20. sstressed

sstressed VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i was watching msnbc getting ready for work.

i went to work, told some of the folks about the attacks. they were like, uh huh.

once the news got around, then i left and went home to watch.

a very sad day for civilization.

Tigger Please and BennyMuso like this.